Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 12:20 PM

1,013 posts, read 911,831 times

Advertisements

Cities

NY
DC
Boston

Hon Mention Chicago

Skylines

NY
Pittsburgh
Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 08:44 PM

828 posts, read 648,507 times
Favorite skylines:

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Miami

Honorable mentions:
San Francisco, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Vegas, Seattle, Richmond (for city size)

Favorite cities:

1. New Orleans
2. Chicago
3. NYC

Honorable mentions:
Savannah, Seattle, Albuquerque, Minneapolis, Boston, Charleston (SC), Nashville

Old 09-21-2019, 08:58 PM

822 posts, read 857,351 times
cities:
1: NYC
2: Boston
3: New Orleans/SF tie

Skylines:
1: NYC
2: Chicago
3: Pittsburgh/Seattle tie

Old 09-21-2019, 09:05 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
5 favorite cities:

Chicago
Washington DC
New Orleans
Los Angeles
Seattle

5 favorite skylines:

Chicago
New York
Seattle
Philadelphia
Atlanta

Old 09-21-2019, 09:29 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Favorite Skylines in the U.S.?

Miami, Chicago, Dallas at night, NYC but honestly, I have to include Canadian Cities and my overall favorite is Vancouver, B.C. Glittery glass highrises, big water front and mountains all nearby.

Favorite cities - Chicago, D/FW, the S.F Bay area but again Vancouver.
Most overrated...for looks...DENVER! Man, the mountains are as impressive as Mt. Rainer jutting out south of Seattle. It just stands out more majestically though not taller than any near Denver. Also when you look east of Denver, it might as well be KANSAS, no trees, flat. The shopping is mediocre for a metro area of its size.

S.F. has gone down hell too...just TOO much liberal policy making and I lean left.

Underrated now...Philly. always had the history but was dirty and poorly run. But they've done a decent job cleaning up many areas, a GREAT downtown, of course great history/culture, a foodie place, more affordable than NY, Boston, and D.C> and more of a college town than many realize.

Last edited by JMT; 10-02-2019 at 05:10 AM..

Old 09-22-2019, 01:05 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Favorite Skylines in the U.S.?

Miami, Chicago, Dallas at night, NYC but honestly, I have to include Canadian Cities and my overall favorite is Vancouver, B.C. Glittery glass highrises, big water front and mountains all nearby.

Favorite cities - Chicago, D/FW, the S.F Bay area but again Vancouver.
Most overrated...for looks...DENVER! Man, the mountains are as impressive as Mt. Rainer jutting out south of Seattle. It just stands out more majestically though not taller than any near Denver. Also when you look east of Denver, it might as well be KANSAS, no trees, flat. The shopping is mediocre for a metro area of its size.

S.F. has gone down hell too...just TOO much liberal policy making and I lean left.

Underrated now...Philly. always had the history but was dirty and poorly run. But they've done a decent job cleaning up many areas, a GREAT downtown, of course great history/culture, a foodie place, more affordable than NY, Boston, and D.C> and more of a college town than many realize.
A very introspective outlook, thanks for participating.

Last edited by JMT; 10-02-2019 at 05:10 AM..

Old 09-22-2019, 05:06 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Our politics remain problematic, but Chicago's had machine politics for years too, and that hasn't seemed to dim its luster. Illinois' dysfunctional state government, however, is beginning to drag the Windy City down with it, which is something of an irony, for the Chicagoans have a lot to do with the dysfunction.

But as for your point about Philly being underrated: Nobody underrates the city more than the natives do. I'd say that its current swagger is largely the work of recent arrivals, though granted, in tandem with the locals who don't underrate the place.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:33 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Three favorite US cities

New Orleans
San Francisco
New York City

Three favorite skylines

Seattle - My all time favorite, the Space Needle has the iconic effect and I like the colorful 80's/90's bank towers downtown, particularly the Columbia and the old WaMu tower (it's Chase now I believe). With all of Seattle's hills and waterfront, each angle of the skyline looks very different.

Atlanta - What a pretty city with the three skyline districts (Downtown/Midtown/Buckhead) creating the panorama effect surrounded by all the thick green forest. This skyline has some standout towers that are topped with some dimensional crown and spire effects that I really like. Also its skyline is not too clustered. Some skylines just look like a forest of glass and steel boxes with not a lot of distinction of individual towers (like Miami or Vancouver). Atlanta is the opposite of that and its spaced out panorama makes it more attractive to me.

Los Angeles - I like the new additions downtown (Wilshire Grand in particular), and love the angled views with the mountain backdrops. Some of the West LA skylines like Century City are nice to look at with the mountains in the background as well.

I'll add Philly, San Francisco, and Chicago as some of my other favorites.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-22-2019 at 06:40 AM..

Old 09-22-2019, 06:03 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I love this one!!! 3 favorite Cities: Los Angeles, Nashville, Philadelphia... 3 favorite Skylines: Los Angeles, Miami and Louisville,KY... Honorary have to be mentioned New York and Chicago but not my top favorites!! They are just so massive and it kinda takes away from it to me when all you see is buildings.. I love when you can see the natural peaceful scenery in the outer view of a major cities like Mountains or some greenery.. It shows you piece lies in the mist of the hustle and bustle, you can't get that effect in a NY or Chicago skyline
If you don't think that a view of the lake and Grant Park with the backdrop of the Chicago skyline from the Planetarium peninsula is not peaceful or majestic, you have never been to Chicago. It is breathtaking. Louisville is a nice city, but really. To each his own.

Fav Cities; LA, Chicago, Boston, New Orleans
Fav skylines: Chicago, NY, Pittsburgh, Seattle, SF

Last edited by Justabystander; 09-22-2019 at 06:13 AM..

Old 09-22-2019, 05:09 PM

783 posts, read 695,026 times
3 favorite cities

1. Los Angeles
2. San Diego
3. DC

Favorite skylines

1. Chicago
2. LA
3. DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City