Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 12:32 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Some more Urban Area(UA) data.

2018 Urban Areas by percent of commuters who walked to work:
5.8% Boston
5.7% San Francisco
4.3% Seattle
3.7% Washington
2.8% Chicago
2.5% Los Angeles

2018 Urban Areas by percent of commuters who bicycled to work:
2.3% San Francisco
1.1% Boston
1.1% Seattle
1.0% Washington
0.7% Chicago
0.6% Los Angeles

2018 Urban Areas by percent of commuters who traveled by ferryboat to work:
0.4% San Francisco
0.1% Boston
0.0% Chicago
0.0% Los Angeles
0.0% Seattle
0.0% Washington
Seattle's walk percentage shows the value of focusing growth into "nodes" all over town vs. spread everywhere. Also it probably reflects the general difficulty of driving...people who don't like traffic or bus rides (buses dominate our transit) will often choose to live near work and walk instead.

On the bike list, it looks like it's only cities (UAs) about a certain size...Portland would presumably top the list and MSP would rank highly too?

As for ferry commutes...Seattle's ferries come from outside the UA apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 10:48 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Out of curiosity does San Jose even have a metro? I know San Francisco & Oakland share the BART

No, no they are not. Outside of NYC, America as whole is not in tune with public transportation. I currently live 30 miles south of Tokyo and its amazing how polar opposite thing are over here.

I know for DC the metro is used primarily for work and work only, I'd imagine the BART is more akin to NYC or Chicago in terms of population usage?
If by metro you mean frequent rapid transit, San Jose does not currently have that. What it does have are commuter rail lines (Caltrain, ACE, and Capitol Corridor) and a light rail line (VTA). Two bits of good news is that Caltrain which runs in the heavily-trafficked peninsula leading up to San Francisco is undergoing electrification and other improvements like grade separation in parts to allow Caltrain to run faster and more frequently which will give it more metro-like performance and BART is slated to run to San Jose though initially just at the outer edges of San Jose next year (if the date doesn't slip again) and eventually to downtown San Jose.

BART runs more like a hybrid of commuter rail and rapid transit/metro sort of like how DC's Metro runs, though not quite as convenient as it interlines four different lines at its most frequent stops in San Francisco which means there's quite a bottleneck for how much each individual line can run. Outside of that main run where two tracks are serviced by four different service patterns, most stations are either a single service or interlined with just one other service. The Bay Area unfortunately made a grave mistake with the BART by building it as a broad gauge system that is very incompatible with all other transit services as well as existing rail lines and infrastructure that are almost all standard gauge. Had BART gone with standard gauge, then it's possible that the Bay Area would have long had an entire ring loop service with BART and Caltrain combined into one service.

Yea, the US is pretty far behind cities in most other developed countries when it comes to public transportation especially when you compare a US city with cities elsewhere of similar metropolitan population.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:27 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
^^ I know this is 50 largest cities, but it would be nice to see both Alexandria City, and Arlington County, VA, just those two alone make a huge difference for DC, as they are defacto “boroughs” IMO. I guess Boston could say the same thing with Cambridge and Somerville.
good point. some cities are bigger than their borders; whereas, in other cities, its like crossing an international border to leave town:
half of these stops are not in boston:
http://www.thecleverest.com/t/

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 10-13-2019 at 08:37 AM..

Old 10-13-2019, 06:53 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Work by transit/City/Work by subway
120,995/Boston/64,605
20,855/Somerville/15,753
17,866/Cambridge/11,582
159,716/Area Total/91,940

175,897/San Francisco/49,398
55,574/Oakland/32,615
15,948/Berkeley/10,140
247,419/Area Total/92,153

130,216/Washington/81,620
44,552/Arlington/31,187
18,477/Alexandriay12,086
193,245/Area Total/124,893
i only know boston; so, the green line also goes to brookline, newton. orange line also to medford, malden. blue line also to revere. red line also to quincy, braintree, milton. silver line to also to chelsea.

also d.c. redline also goes to silver spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
18Montclair-I appreciate your info. A couple questions-

Is there a full breakdown on how people get to work somewhere like NYC? Only 31% on public transit is surprisingly low for me, though I guess that is at the Metro level. I'd guess a decent amount walk or bike though still, also?
ride-shares are increasing street traffic and decreasing public transportation useage.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 10-13-2019 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City