Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer, for a long weekend visit?
Los Angeles 35 47.95%
San Diego 38 52.05%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 01:19 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,340 times

Advertisements

Honestly San Diego. You can reach all the major destinations like Sea World, San Diego Zoo, and Pacific Beach on one weekend. LA is just wayy too big to capture in one Weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 09:45 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
More "overwhelming success" of the LA Chargers lol: Report: NFL, Chargers interested in team possibly moving to London

Old 11-05-2019, 01:35 PM

22 posts, read 9,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
The 4 Light rail lines and 2 subway lines have made it much easier to traverse LA, and is used by tourists and locals alike. The addition of the Crenshaw light rail Line to LAX (2020 Opening) will make it even easier.

Via the Red line subway you can access DTLA, Dodger Stadium, Griffith Park Observatory, Hollywood/Highland (Walk of Fame), Hollywood Bowl and Universal Studios.

Via the Expo light rail you can access DTLA, LA Live, Staples Center, USC, LA Memorial Coliseum, Calf Science Center, Natural History Museum, Banc Of California Stadium, and downtown Santa Monica

The Blue line light rail connects DTLA to downtown Long Beach.

You can actually travel from Pasadena (Gold Line) to Santa Monica (Expo Line) using LA Metro Rail, without ever getting in a car.

The Miracle Mile is a 20 minute bus ride from the Wilshire/Western subway station. Beverly Hills is 30 minutes away. To say that Los Angeles is difficult to navigate via transit is absurd.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:42 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
I suspect you meant that in reverse..."to say that LA is not difficult to navigate..."

As a tourist, taking the train is doable once or twice (vs. walking everywhere in many cities), but a train followed by a bus...a stretch.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:51 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fante 90042 View Post
The Miracle Mile is a 20 minute bus ride from the Wilshire/Western subway station. Beverly Hills is 30 minutes away. To say that Los Angeles is difficult to navigate via transit is absurd.
Wow, really?

If this were true that would be really inconvenient.

Fortunately, its not true.

Wilshire/Western to Miracle Mile is a 13 minute trip (including 5 minutes of walking to stops) on the 20, go ahead and look it up.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I suspect you meant that in reverse..."to say that LA is not difficult to navigate..."

As a tourist, taking the train is doable once or twice (vs. walking everywhere in many cities), but a train followed by a bus...a stretch.

Did you read the post I quoted? With DTLA (which would take at least a day to explore superficially) as your base, how are any of those areas difficult to get to? DTLA, Hollywood, Santa Monica, etc. are walkable areas.

I mentioned that the Miracle Mile is a short bus ride from the Purple Line because apparently everything in LA is a 2 hour car ride away, and I wanted to clear up that misconception a bit.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:52 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fante 90042 View Post
The one thing I wanted to do when visited LA last time was see the USS Iowa. I was based downtown as that's where work was, and the "excellent" public transportation never showed up with the bus to take me down there. Nobody at the central union station knew how to even get there. I wasn't going to pay $75 to Uber there and back. I ended up using the train to go to the Hollywood area and I felt like I could have got hepatitis from the ride.

IMO LA is pretty terrible to visit, because you can't get around to see what's there. There's too much city and congestion in between things and the city itself doesn't lend itself to just getting out and exploring. It's not a pretty city either. Exploring around the One Wilshire building was rather dicey despite that being a neat area of downtown because of all the homeless freaks wondering around. You can throw pricey hotels into the whole mix as well to make things worse.

San Diego has to be better by default. Most cities are better by default. I'd much rather visit Bakersfield or Victorville than LA again.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:00 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,555,108 times
My opinion, LA is a more interesting, versatile vacation.. but San Diego is more pleasant, and nicer place to live.

I used to work down the street from the La Brea Tar Pits; to me it's one of the coolest places in America.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
My opinion, LA is a more interesting, versatile vacation.. but San Diego is more pleasant, and nicer place to live.

I used to work down the street from the La Brea Tar Pits; to me it's one of the coolest places in America.

It will be even cooler when the Academy Museum opens next year, and when Wilshire/Fairfax station when it opens in 2023. Just watch out for the hepatitis coming from the seats .

Old 12-25-2021, 08:03 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,526 times
San Diego is compact and cute. Walk here and there, no much to do after a few days just chill.

LA is a world famous mega beast. Nonstop activities. Pure entertainment. Eyes popping wonderment. Tickles the senses. Flavors the tongue nodes. It's so big, it gives you a headache trying to figure out what to do, see, eat.

Sometimes I prefer cute, less things to do. My boring life can't handle insanity of choices of LA. I vote SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City