Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer, for a long weekend visit?
Los Angeles 35 47.95%
San Diego 38 52.05%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 09:57 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times

Advertisements

There might not be a park like that but you could get similar architecture with comparable palm trees/foliage in neighborhoods without having to leave FL—try sections of Coral Gables and neighboring communities.

Now that I see you are from FL, depends what you prefer and are looking for in terms of vacation as you pointed out. Think of SD as closer to the vibe of Tampa/St Pete whereas LA would be closer to Miami (naturally, the FL cities are of a smaller scale).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/...-balboa-park/#

MHays25: I guess this article sort of delineates the difference between someone who, like you, lives in a place like SD, and someone who, like me, doesn't hahah.

That rec park within Balboa is where the cross country national championships happens every year which for me, as a runner, is a big deal. Not only that, but there's a significant

Not saying it isn't somewhat overrated, and not saying there aren't issues. I don't believe it is Central Park, or Retiro Park (Madrid) or, personal favorite that I've visited (haven't seen those other two actually), Chapultepec Park in Mexico City. That being said.. the largest city park in all of Tampa city limits is 132 acres. Largest one in all of Orlando is 187 acres. The cultural district "equivalent" in Orlando, is about 45 acres. After having lived in these two for a decade... if I had something in my city or area remotely equivalent to Balboa Park... I'd feel like I'd died and gone to heaven LOL!

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7319...7i13312!8i6656

^ I'd have to hop a plane, and leave Florida (and possible the Southern US) to get viewlines like that.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-13-2019 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
There might not be a park like that but you could get similar architecture with comparable palm trees/foliage in neighborhoods without having to leave FL—try sections of Coral Gables and neighboring communities.

Now that I see you are from FL, depends what you prefer and are looking for in terms of vacation as you pointed out. Think of SD as closer to the vibe of Tampa/St Pete whereas LA would be closer to Miami (naturally, the FL cities are of a smaller scale).
Coral Gables certainly is a very pretty city and section of Miami-that said, I guess the general point was that San Diego, given that it's a metro area of only 3.3 Million, punches pretty well above it's weight for the overall architecture/historic/walkable neighborhood genre. I think that there are metros that are double it's size (Houston, Dallas, Miami, etc.) that it can compete with and perhaps beat in those areas overall.. and while it's not a "legacy city" per se, I also think that it is very competitive with Midwestern/Northeastern legacy cities for what it brings to the table in that regard too (Pittsburgh, Saint Louis, Minneapolis, etc. for instance)-moreso in that regard than any other similarly sized western city (though Denver comes pretty close to that level too but IMO appears to fall short of SD).

Your comparison of Tampa and Miami with San Diego and Los Angeles makes a lot of sense.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:04 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Not knocking LA and I would agree it's a far larger city with more happenings overall, but I'm not sure that is fair either. Consider that range gives us about a 3 mile radius. Within 3 miles of San Diego's Center you can get to:

-Hotel del Coronado (and beach) (Perhaps the most esteemed work of coastal resort architecture in all the US, one of the most in the world)
-Whale Watching Cruises from San Diego Harbor (Water access is a consideration, IMO)
-USS Midway Museum/Primary Naval Sites (This may even outrank the zoo in noteworthiness)
-San Diego Zoo (Speaks for itself)
-Balboa Park (even if the venues/attractions there are all just average, the simple fact of having a 1200 acre park abutting a major downtown is impressive)
-Petco Park (considered one of the best venues in the league-as Dodger Stadium is too, in a different way)
-Old Town San Diego (Estd. 1769-Oldest European Settlement in CA)
-Aforementioned Status as Craft Beer Capital of America
-Chicano Park (looked it up, neighborhood and murals appear to be BIG deal-National Historic Landmark)
-Exciting events throughout year, including THE Comic Con
-No less than 5 neighborhoods that, while small, are as walkable on a scale/business density/standpoint as any individual neighborhood in LA, with historic charm to boot in some cases, too

I understand you were probably just replying to the other post unfairly dissing LA's attractions, but let's be fair-SD has some pretty strong things going for it. In fact, I think the best of the best attractions in SD hold almost if not as much appeal for me as those in LA. The difference of course being, the general size and scale and importance of LA.

That being said, I'm not quite sure there's any individual city in the Southern US, for instance, that has as much going on/variety to do as Greater SD does, for example. It's not LA... but it's a very exciting place.

It is interesting, I do sense some animosity/rivalry between SD and LA which I really wouldn't have thought was the case. It's almost like talking Philly vs. Boston.. lol
With the exception of Petco these are mostly regional attractions, more akin to Long Beach than Los Angeles.

If we're going to count Midway and Old Town etc., well L.A. has easy answers to that right downtown-historic DTLA which is basically like walking straight into 1940 for an entire downtown (with a classic theatre district to complement Hollywood theatres), Grand Central Market with Angels Flight, observation decks in City Hall, SkySpace, Wilshire Grand, Union Station would have to be counted as an attraction.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:31 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Wondering minds have to ask-where did you end up going? I would tend to agree with San Diego being more relaxing and Los Angeles being exciting too-doesn't necessarily make one absolutely better or worse either. In fact, I think these 2 really complement one another well. The fact that I've already been to both and seen a fair amount, and thus have more of a lens on what I would specifically would want to see, means I could probably see a decent bit of both in a 5 day span actually, given that I was intentional about it. Regular 2 hour trains between the two... correct?
If you go to the bookstore you will find tour books titled "Los Angeles and San Diego." I'm assuming I"ve never seen a "New York and Philadelphia" book because there are many more attractions in Philly than SD. Whenever I talk to tourists in either city I always tell them about Amtrak and what they can do in each place while coming back the same night to whichever city they are staying in.

If you fly out to SD and stay more than two days and you didn't take the train to L.A., you missed a huge opportunity. If you are an early riser you can leave on the train as early as 5 am, be in L.A. by 7:30, see and do a TON of stuff and come back on the 10:15 southbound train.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:22 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
I like your perspective on that day trip and telling locals about the route and options for it. Seems like not enough people take advantage of it.

However, it almost seems like you are overly biased AGAINST your own city of San Diego here lol. The Midway certainly couldn't be considered just a regional attraction... in TripAdvisor Museum Rankings it literally ranks among Top 5 in ENTIRE US. Like in the same general area as National WWII Museum, Getty Center (8), Kennedy Space Center (10).

The Zoo-honestly, having no connection to SD, literally the first name that comes up when I hear zoo, and I'm thinking about zoos around the world, is probably San Diego. There are perhaps zoos out there to rival or match (Singapore, Berlin), but I'm almost certain even those are less famous or iconic/notable with their relationship to their city.

There was a ranking a few years back, of America's Favorite Architecture. It was AIA professionals and common citizens doing it. The Coronado Hotel came in 18th overall (only behind one hotel, New York's St. Regis), ahead of buildings such as: Original World Trade Towers, Brooklyn Bridge, Library of Congress, Monticello). LA Union Station came in 75th (still remarkable).

Old Town is literally the oldest neighborhood on the west coast too.

To be fair, I see where some of the things you say could be regional (frankly, I see Petco Park as being more "regional" than a number of those earlier places), but I mean, they are qualitative important factors too. Craft Beer, Waterfront, Walkable Neighborhoods are vital elements of a city's appeal, regardless of how many iconic places the other might have.

Los Angeles definitely has San Diego beat on quantity, I've heard of a number of those other places you list too, and I'm sure they're excellent. However, I do think that in terms of qualitative factors, San Diego can match LA on many levels.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:01 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Wondering minds have to ask-where did you end up going? I would tend to agree with San Diego being more relaxing and Los Angeles being exciting too-doesn't necessarily make one absolutely better or worse either. In fact, I think these 2 really complement one another well. The fact that I've already been to both and seen a fair amount, and thus have more of a lens on what I would specifically would want to see, means I could probably see a decent bit of both in a 5 day span actually, given that I was intentional about it. Regular 2 hour trains between the two... correct?
I went to visit friends in Palm Springs. I like PS, but only can last about a week.

Part of my " aversion " to LA is that I have been there so many times over the years, as I had family that lived there, and friends.

San Diego I've only been twice...and really wanted to go this time, but time wouldn't allow for it.

Old 10-13-2019, 03:42 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,551 times
Quote:
However, it almost seems like you are overly biased AGAINST your own city of San Diego here lol. The Midway certainly couldn't be considered just a regional attraction... in TripAdvisor Museum Rankings it literally ranks among Top 5 in ENTIRE US. Like in the same general area as National WWII Museum, Getty Center (8), Kennedy Space Center (10).
Quote:
I like your perspective on that day trip and telling locals about the route and options for it. Seems like not enough people take advantage of it.

I think the person is originally from LA or the bay area and is hellbent on proving why the 17th largest metro is just not up to par with the the #2 and #5 most populous regions in the country. While SD may never compete with these regions that have twice or six times as many people, it certainly is no slouch- especially in terms of the number and accessibility of attractions in its central area.

A five mile radius of downtown includes:
  • Mission Bay Park, usually ranked 4th-5th most visited park in the country after Central Park, Lincoln, Park, and the National Mall.
  • Balboa Park, which is easily top 10 urban parks in the U.S. and frequently on lists of best urban parks in the world.
  • San Diego Zoo, "world famous" for a reason. Literally the most famous and visited zoo in the world.
  • Coronado, frequently in the top 10 beaches in the country.
  • Old Town San Diego, one of the oldest European settlements on the West Coast
  • San Diego Harbor (cruises, yachting, ferries to Coronado) + Embarcadero
  • Petco Park: one of the best stadium settings in the country.
  • Gaslamp Quarter, East Village, Hillcrest, North Park, Little Italy, Barrio Logan: unique spots for nightlife, dining, etc.
  • Seaworld: the original
  • Sunset Cliffs, Point Loma, Cabrillo: beautiful cliffs & sunsets
  • Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, Ocean Beach (boardwalks, amusement park, drinking spots, funky beach vibe)
  • USS Midway (a bigger & better attraction than most people realize)

Old 10-13-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
With the exception of Petco these are mostly regional attractions, more akin to Long Beach than Los Angeles.

If we're going to count Midway and Old Town etc., well L.A. has easy answers to that right downtown-historic DTLA which is basically like walking straight into 1940 for an entire downtown (with a classic theatre district to complement Hollywood theatres), Grand Central Market with Angels Flight, observation decks in City Hall, SkySpace, Wilshire Grand, Union Station would have to be counted as an attraction.
The San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park are regional attractions, but Petco Park is national/international?

It's really hard to take you seriously after that claim. That is so far from reality that I see no point in trying to argue with you.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:38 PM

567 posts, read 430,892 times
Everything there is to see and do in SD could be done in 1 or 2 days. In LA you're talking a good month or longer.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
Everything there is to see and do in SD could be done in 1 or 2 days. In LA you're talking a good month or longer.
Please plan an itinerary in which you accomplish "everything there is to see and do in SD can be done in 1 or 2 days" I want to see specifics about what exactly you accomplish and how much time you spend at each attraction.

The SD zoo alone is worth a full day. What a ridiculous assertion. Is there something in the water in LA that I'm unaware of? I always thought SD had the worst water in the country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City