Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 12:10 PM

264 posts, read 250,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I don't understand why Minneapolis and Pittsburgh are on this list. I have no desire to visit Minneapolis, no burning desire to see anything there.

I do want to visit Chicago one day, but I still don't see how it ranks above Las Vegas, Miami, Los Angeles or even Seattle. Maui and the Big Island are both better places than Honolulu. I understand Honolulu has Pearl Harbor but other than that its just a major city and Waikiki beach isn't even originally a real beach.
Maybe people just like the vibe of non-tourist heavy cities because they are just that: not the most stereotypically touristy cities. Probably a lot of other boring lists that have your cities on there in the top 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 08:35 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Minneapolis above Miami, LA, New York, Orlando, Atlanta Philadelphia, Washington, Boston, San Francisco seems a bit suspect.
Odd, I agree. Could it be people in these cities are outside having too much fun while people from the upper Midwest are trapped inside much of the year participating in online polls?

Old 10-21-2019, 09:03 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
I went on business trips to Chicago 25 times within a 6 year time frame, enjoyed my time spent there very much , and usually added on a day or two for personal vacation even though I lived in a coastal elite, but less sophisticated, city at the time (San Diego); however, as much as I enjoyed my time there I never thought of it as a vacation only destination and/or there are other cities within and outside the US that I will go to (many that I’ve also already visited) before returning to Chicago—such as NYC, SF, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro, etc.

Granted, 25 visits is probably more than the average visitor. OTOH, I also visited Miami on business 4x/year yet also took completely separate vacation only visits there before moving here. Even more so for the case v Minneapolis than Chicago, but to each their own.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-21-2019 at 09:15 AM..

Old 10-21-2019, 09:32 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Odd, I agree. Could it be people in these cities are outside having too much fun while people from the upper Midwest are trapped inside much of the year participating in online polls?
If that makes you feel better to think that..... Otherwise, pretty lame.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:34 AM

Minneapolis is not a tourist destination. This has been answered numerous times on this thread...it was professional sport tournaments that drew people to Minneapolis. Chicago is another story. Many people go there for business, but a lot also to visit Chicago...it has a stunning city skyline, a lakefront that beats every other lakefront in the US, and is a great city to go find yourself some pizza, and take lots of pictures.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:46 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Minneapolis is not a tourist destination. This has been answered numerous times on this thread...it was professional sport tournaments that drew people to Minneapolis. Chicago is another story. Many people go there for business, but a lot also to visit Chicago...it has a stunning city skyline, a lakefront that beats every other lakefront in the US, and is a great city to go find yourself some pizza, and take lots of pictures.
Hahaha. You don't think people travel to Minneapolis for business? The Minneapolis area is home to several Fortune 1000 companies as well as large private companies. It's also home to a number of regional headquarters. Yeah, having large sporting events help, but one would have to be a damn fool to think people don't visit for business purposes.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:56 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Is this suppose to be some defense for Philadelphia you live? Also this magazine has voting only by subscribers. Guess Midwest folk subscribe more then Coastal cities in your view ......

I know you have me on ignore from the Philly forum or just choose to. But I posted in reply anyway.

Maybe those in Houston as your former longtime city. Think of Philly by this kind of response.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Hahaha. You don't think people travel to Minneapolis for business? The Minneapolis area is home to several Fortune 1000 companies as well as large private companies. It's also home to a number of regional headquarters. Yeah, having large sporting events help, but one would have to be a damn fool to think people don't visit for business purposes.
I said "tourist". I know it's a business destination...it's not a "tourist" destination, though.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:51 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
I think expectations of visitors have a lot to do with how these rankings play out. Minneapolis is one of those cities that unfamiliar people tend to underestimate. What they are greeted with is a clean, safe, friendly city that's affordable, has all the big city amenities, is decently urban, and has good shopping/dining/nightlife. I really like Minneapolis. I don't know that'd I'd say it's in my top 10, but it's a really nice city and I'm never disappointed if I end up out that way. I would guess that most people who visit Minneapolis are pleasantly surprised the first time they visit. It may not have the glitz/glamour of Vegas or Miami, nor does it have the historic urban bones of Chicago or NYC. But it's a solid, well-rounded city and that certainly plays well in rankings.

Old 10-21-2019, 04:12 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Exactly right lrfox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City