Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 04:32 PM

264 posts, read 250,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think expectations of visitors have a lot to do with how these rankings play out. Minneapolis is one of those cities that unfamiliar people tend to underestimate. What they are greeted with is a clean, safe, friendly city that's affordable, has all the big city amenities, is decently urban, and has good shopping/dining/nightlife. I really like Minneapolis. I don't know that'd I'd say it's in my top 10, but it's a really nice city and I'm never disappointed if I end up out that way. I would guess that most people who visit Minneapolis are pleasantly surprised the first time they visit. It may not have the glitz/glamour of Vegas or Miami, nor does it have the historic urban bones of Chicago or NYC. But it's a solid, well-rounded city and that certainly plays well in rankings.
You hit the nail on the head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 04:58 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times
Congrats, Chicago. Well-deserved, and I've visited enough to approve of this ranking.

Minneapolis-St. Paul, in my opinion , is more highly-rated as a place to LIVE, as opposed to a place to vacation in.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:47 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,255,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Congrats, Chicago. Well-deserved, and I've visited enough to approve of this ranking.

Minneapolis-St. Paul, in my opinion , is more highly-rated as a place to LIVE, as opposed to a place to vacation in.
The Twin Cities, judging by various social indicators, are the best place in the country to raise a family. However being family friendly and being a tourist draw are often at odds, which is good for both kinds of cities imho.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:43 PM

567 posts, read 431,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The Twin Cities, judging by various social indicators, are the best place in the country to raise a family. However being family friendly and being a tourist draw are often at odds, which is good for both kinds of cities imho.
In 2018 Minneapolis had a higher violent crime rate per 100,000 inhabitant than New York City and Los Angeles.

Minneapolis 1,101
Los Angeles 761
New York 538

Old 10-21-2019, 09:15 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Did it have a low murder rate? Often low murder rates correlate with high violent crime rates.

Why? Because high murder rates seem to correlate with not reporting other crimes, including serious ones.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:41 PM

1,068 posts, read 917,295 times
I live in Chicago so I'm obviously biased and glad to see Chicago on top of the list. It is hands down the best big city to live in with low cost of living and amazing architecture, attractions, restaurants, etc. I've lived here 15 years and am still discovering new places / things.

But I'd have to put New York on the top of the TRAVELER list. There's so much to see and do in such a compact area it's insane. As soon as you step out your hotel in Manhattan the energy is electric. You don't get that same feeling in Chicago.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:18 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,263,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think expectations of visitors have a lot to do with how these rankings play out. Minneapolis is one of those cities that unfamiliar people tend to underestimate. What they are greeted with is a clean, safe, friendly city that's affordable, has all the big city amenities, is decently urban, and has good shopping/dining/nightlife. I really like Minneapolis. I don't know that'd I'd say it's in my top 10, but it's a really nice city and I'm never disappointed if I end up out that way. I would guess that most people who visit Minneapolis are pleasantly surprised the first time they visit. It may not have the glitz/glamour of Vegas or Miami, nor does it have the historic urban bones of Chicago or NYC. But it's a solid, well-rounded city and that certainly plays well in rankings.
Your post seems quite reasonable. My comment, however, was a joke. Despite posting here for a while, I sometimes forget that there are plenty of folks on CD who lack a healthy sense of humor. Nevertheless, I was making a point with my joke.

Anyone who knows even the basics of polling knows that so-called “reader polls“ don’t hold up to statistical analysis. Sometimes, there are even campaigns to influence votes. I realize there are people who would rather visit Minneapolis than NYC, DC, Orlando or Vegas. But anyone who feels that is the prevailing preference of the traveling American public need look no further than actual statistics, to learn where Americans are (you know) actually visiting: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...in-the-us.html. While sources of these statistics can vary in their numbers and rankings a bit, these strike me as a more realistic Top 10.

None of this is to disparage Minneapolis as a city. I’ve heard it’s a lovely place.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:43 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Your post seems quite reasonable. My comment, however, was a joke. Despite posting here for a while, I sometimes forget that there are plenty of folks on CD who lack a healthy sense of humor. Nevertheless, I was making a point with my joke.

Anyone who knows even the basics of polling knows that so-called “reader polls“ don’t hold up to statistical analysis. Sometimes, there are even campaigns to influence votes. I realize there are people who would rather visit Minneapolis than NYC, DC, Orlando or Vegas. But anyone who feels that is the prevailing preference of the traveling American public need look no further than actual statistics, to learn where Americans are (you know) actually visiting: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...in-the-us.html. While sources of these statistics can vary in their numbers and rankings a bit, these strike me as a more realistic Top 10.

None of this is to disparage Minneapolis as a city. I’ve heard it’s a lovely place.
I'm pretty sure no one claimed this was a scientific poll.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:56 AM

264 posts, read 250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
In my opinion, having a city that is geared towards both is very healthy. You get the relaxed atmosphere void of tourist traps besides the Mall. You don't have to stress about transportation too much and the costs associated with it.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:57 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

Good list. But just noting that for some cities ..... stats are city-proper's alone. For others it is metro region. I know NYC's and Chicago's are city-proper's alone.

Some count day trips some only overnight or both. Also my State of PA requires they be counted by whole metro areas. So some cities may be metros other then in PA?

Chicago tourism has skyrocketed past decade. But still though growing ..... lacks the larger International tourist of our Coastal cities.

I have a link that adds differences in counts between some cities by what I listed.

Link's list. * This is like a 2016 list because Chicago's reached almost 58-mill in 2018

I will just use numbers link uses.

#1 NYC ------- 59.7 mil
#2 Chicago --- 54.1 mil
#3 Atlanta ---- 51-mil
#4 Anaheim/Orange County 48.2
#5 Orlando --- 48-mil
#6 LA --------- 47.3mil
#7 Las Vegas - 42.9mil
#8 Philadelphia 42-mil
#9 SD --------- 34.9mil
#10 SF -------- 25-mil

*** So MY POINT is why it isn't far fetched Chicago was voted by magazine Subscribers ..... for 3-years in a roll. Its Tourism numbers, clearly show why it was too. That Hit almost 58.mil in 2018. Also majority is in summer vs Many other cities on the list.

Last edited by DavePa; 10-22-2019 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City