Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 11:33 AM

817 posts, read 599,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Well what does Boulder have? A downtown mall that's similar to 16th St. but smaller; fewer museums and the like; no professional sports or arts; lots of traffic.
A major university set in one of the country's prettiest campuses, the corresponding college town attractions like the Hill, a unique vibe of intellectualism not found in Denver, immediate access to the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 11:40 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Someone finally telling it like it really is. People love to exaggerate winter in Chicago, and it would be laughable, if it wasn't so ridiculous.

Man. Some people have zero sense of humor. Of course it was a freaking exaggeration.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:46 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Well what does Boulder have? A downtown mall that's similar to 16th St. but smaller; fewer museums and the like; no professional sports or arts; lots of traffic.
Comparing the two is apples to oranges, but I'm a sucker for college towns, so we'll call it a personal preference. But I actually do like Pearl St. and the pedestrian areas of Boulder more than 16th St. A good portion of 16th street just seems so vanilla commercial. And, I have no data to support this, but Pearl St. doesn't seem any smaller than 16th from a commercial activity perspective.

Again, largely just preference.. I like the John Nolen/esque urban planning. I've read that Boulder was modeled after Burlington, VT, kind of the footprint for John Nolen planning in Madison and Asheville too. Plus, the immediate access to mountains, and the "vibe" in Boulder is awesome.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Wish it could lessen real issues our large cities have.
Few large cities have the "real issues" Chicago does.

Well, few large metros have the "real issues" Chicagoland does. Probably a better way to frame it.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:06 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Few large cities have the "real issues" Chicago does.

Well, few large metros have the "real issues" Chicagoland does. Probably a better way to frame it.
The more segregated separate areas that are gang on gang shootings. Yes that is. But other issues as crime increases in more diverse areas even in Sunbelt cities. As well as our other Northern cities I will not mention in this positive thread.

I've seen hood areas looking worst in other cities too. Chicago did a lot of clearing out blighted housing. But the gangland shootings there. Maintain the hood as such and city did not win much ground in that fight .... yet at least.

Debt may be worst. But other cities clearly are catching up.... and states. Even mighty Texas booming. But its debt index per person would surprise. Enough said.

Eventually pensions will be a National issue too needing addressing. Especially if a state is on the verge of defaulting.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:30 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
A bit surprised that San Antonio was on the list rather than Austin, too..
Both cities can be easily covered in one trip over a long weekend as I did when I was there. I think for tourists San Antonio gets points for historical charm with the Alamo and Riverwalk. It's a very tourist friendly downtown. There's also a Six Flags and Sea World in SA and Schlitterbahn is just up the road, so you have that family friendly tourist aspect about it. Austin has more adult fun and nightlife.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
The more segregated separate areas that are gang on gang shootings. Yes that is. But other issues as crime increases in more diverse areas even in Sunbelt cities. As well as our other Northern cities I will not mention in this positive thread.

I've seen hood areas looking worst in other cities too. Chicago did a lot of clearing out blighted housing. But the gangland shootings there. Maintain the hood as such and city did not win much ground in that fight .... yet at least.

Debt may be worst. But other cities clearly are catching up.... and states. Even mighty Texas booming. But its debt index per person would surprise. Enough said.

Eventually pensions will be a National issue too needing addressing. Especially if a state is on the verge of defaulting.
I wasn't alluding to crime.

I was alluding to the mass exodus of suburban business heading out of state/or into the city itself. The crumbling-if-not-completely-stagnant suburban housing market. The rising property taxes, and gas taxes, and everything taxes. The unsolved and growing pension issues. The underfunded Chicago Public Schools (which are forcing closures/mergers in the cities already struggling neighborhoods).

These are unique.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
A major university set in one of the country's prettiest campuses, the corresponding college town attractions like the Hill, a unique vibe of intellectualism not found in Denver, immediate access to the mountains.
Too funny! Now mind you, I live in Boulder County, and spend a lot more time in Boulder than I do in Denver well, until my husband got sick and now we're in Denver a couple days a week. That's another thing Boulder doesn't have, first class medical facilities. If you think Chicago dwarfs Denver, just compare it to Boulder! (I know you're not the one who said that!)

Old 10-09-2019, 02:06 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
I wasn't alluding to crime.

I was alluding to the mass exodus of suburban business heading out of state/or into the city itself. The crumbling-if-not-completely-stagnant suburban housing market. The rising property taxes, and gas taxes, and everything taxes. The unsolved and growing pension issues. The underfunded Chicago Public Schools (which are forcing closures/mergers in the cities already struggling neighborhoods).

These are unique.
Thanks for exposing your bias...it's always nice when it's out in the open, as now, your posts can be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Thanks for exposing your bias...it's always nice when it's out in the open, as now, your posts can be taken with a grain of salt.
Heh?

Based on my comments on this thread, am I bias for or against Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City