Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 02:16 PM

1,013 posts, read 911,831 times

Advertisements

I don’t know about this list, I like all of the nominees really. Polls are polls but Chicago is not a place if you got together and decided on a vacation destination that would come to mind first at least for me. Nothing wrong with choosing it tho I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 02:21 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Minneapolis above Miami, LA, New York, Orlando, Atlanta Philadelphia, Washington, Boston, San Francisco seems a bit suspect.

Considering I can’t really think of a major attraction in Minneapolis
I'm not sure, but I'm sure hosting major events like the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, the Summer X Games, the Ryder Cup, the MLB All-Star Game, WNBA All-Star Game as well as smaller conventions has helped. These events attracted hundreds of thousands to the city.

BTW, I'm not saying I agree with the rankings.

Last edited by YIMBY; 10-09-2019 at 02:30 PM..

Old 10-09-2019, 02:27 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Where are Branson, Pigeon Forge, Niagara Falls, or Myrtle Beach on this list? You know, places actually teeming with tourists?

Old 10-09-2019, 02:36 PM

755 posts, read 472,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Where are Branson, Pigeon Forge, Niagara Falls, or Myrtle Beach on this list? You know, places actually teeming with tourists?
That would be the Conde Nasty survey. Just kidding!

Conde Naste readers (this was a reader's choice poll) probably would be reluctant to visit any of those places, me thinks.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:37 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Heh?

Based on my comments on this thread, am I bias for or against Chicago?
He meant even bringing in these other comments on issues. Has nothing to do with Conde Nast 600.000+subscribing voters. They would be higher rolling travelers too. As I noted as World Travelers as the magazine covers world destinations especially.

You surely saw Chicago win for Large US curt 3-years in a row. So why tarnish it as it is your hometown ..... in a thread you created.

No one is talking on other cities and states issues, with the other cities on their numerous list. Glad others are not as it derails threads. But feel free to blame me for saying that I -- wish we could lessen a city's other issues. Though Chicago clearly has had much success Core outward in growth and new attractions and being well kept and it shows.

These Jet-setters (wow age showing) prove it with their city to win votes. Shines for them with money to spend too and good voting is by city size categories too..

Old 10-09-2019, 02:56 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
He meant even bringing in these other comments on issues. Has nothing to do with Conde Nast 600.000+subscribing voters. They would be higher rolling travelers too. As I noted as World Travelers as the magazine covers world destinations especially.

You surely saw Chicago win for Large US curt 3-years in a row. So why tarnish it as it is your hometown ..... in a thread you created.

No one is talking on other cities and states issues, with the other cities on their numerous list. Glad others are not as it derails threads. But feel free to blame me for saying that I -- wish we could lessen a city's other issues. Though Chicago clearly has had much success Core outward in growth and new attractions and being well kept and it shows.

These Jet-setters (wow age showing) prove it with their city to win votes. Shines for them with money to spend too and good voting is by city size categories too..
As you said, I brought it up in direct response to your comment: "I wish it could lessen the issues our big cities have". Is it not appropriate to delineate between normal issues vs. the unique issues Chicago faces, when talking about Chicago?

Not sure why that would make me bias or an adversary of Chicago. The city I boast about as much as the next native Chicagoan.

I just told someone from Denver that the most attractive destination in their city could be one part of one neighborhood in Chicago. On this thread.

Kind of strange, no?

Old 10-09-2019, 03:13 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
I'm not sure, but I'm sure hosting major events like the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, the Summer X Games, the Ryder Cup, the MLB All-Star Game, WNBA All-Star Game as well as smaller conventions has helped. These events attracted hundreds of thousands to the city.

BTW, I'm not saying I agree with the rankings.
It’s just in terms of tourist attractions I would probably put Minneapolis like 5 in the Midwest let alone 2 in the country.

1) Chicago

2) Detroit

3) Cleveland/St Louis

5) Minneapolis/St Paul.

But the total lack of Las Vegas is a big red flag IMO.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:24 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It’s just in terms of tourist attractions I would probably put Minneapolis like 5 in the Midwest let alone 2 in the country.

1) Chicago

2) Detroit

3) Cleveland/St Louis

5) Minneapolis/St Paul.

But the total lack of Las Vegas is a big red flag IMO.
Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis have some of the worst reputations in the country and probably aren't considered by most. I hate to state it, but the Mall of America alone probably attracts more than any attraction in those cities - combined.

I agree about Vegas.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:38 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis have some of the worst reputations in the country and probably aren't considered by most. I hate to state it, but the Mall of America alone probably attracts more than any attraction in those cities - combined.

I agree about Vegas.
The Rock and Roll HOF And St Louis Arch are more of a signature tourist attraction than anything in Minneapolis. Then secondary ones like Playhouse Sq and the City Museum. I’d also say Busch Staduim/the Cards are almost on the Cubs/Yankees/Red Sox level attraction too.

I think Detroit’s overall history and culture must drive some tourism.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:00 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
I'd never heard of Conde Nast before. Apparently they own Vanity Fair? I can see how their readers would skew more affluent, more educated, more liberal, older - and thus would prefer old, culture-heavy cities over kitschy tourist sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City