Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 07:16 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Do you really think Conde Nast voters who subscribe to such a magazine. Are just choosing cities By assumptions and not real travelers voting for favorites they visited?

Also our largest cities/metros, generally have a large tourist industry to begin with. Not all though. Cities with Cores most enjoyed. Will generally rate better too. LA being a exception in much in the metro overall.

Seems friendliness is a factor too toward those visitors votes. Cities that see tourist as a bother ...... may lose votes for that. That's something that can hurt NYC.

This magazine is for more those whose travel is not on the cheap and will seek out finest dining, shopping, museums and such as conde Nast comments the magazine makes on the top vote getting cities .... that make it in their higher ranks. Some smaller cities its on quaintness and beauty and special uniqueness.

This is no wallethub tabulation or one even about families traveling. It is affluent travelers and what US cities gave them the best experience in finer things more then other kinds of list on the subject.

This is what I gather. It also has World subscribers. So it isn't merely on North American subscribers. It has recognition that gets seen and recognized more worldwide too in news sources. My opinions. But seems one not seeing their city high makes their opinion a bit bitter.

This publication has more esteem then others too. Why many US news sources publish results. For me Minneapolis being #2 was a surprise. Of course NYC dropping in the rank. Not that I'm mocking it. Just interesting. I see no surprise in the smaller city list. But who am I .... but had to give a shout-out on my fav city winning again.
I can't imagine how any of this is related to my points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 09:52 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
I too was a bit surprised of the #2 Minneapolis and admittedly I have never been but I’m pretty dialed in to cities being an urban animal-love cities! I’ve heard and outwardly discovered from friends and sites like this that it is a fine city, full of lakes, parks and fun neighborhoods, but so too have I heard that the downtown is somewhat lackluster, as in many cities the surrounding core neighborhoods pick up the slack. I’ve never been to Milwaukee either but for some reason it seems like a way cooler, fun and more desirable city to visit than Minneapolis. Mall of America? Just shoot me.

The rest of the cities seem pretty right on. I guess a bit odd that NYC is down a bit but hey, Chicago is pretty awesome and I would definitely plunk Philly in there in the top three as fun for visitors. Have never been to New Orleans, Honolulu or San Antonio but they all seem to have qualities that would place them on the list. I have no desire whatsoever to visit Honolulu but would love to visit New Orleans - probably the most distinctive and unique culture and built environment in the US, and also San Antonio, sprawling as it is and kitschy but nice River Walk it seems to have some of the best historic neighborhoods and overall some of the best domestic architecture in the state.

Last edited by T. Damon; 10-10-2019 at 10:44 PM..

Old 10-10-2019, 10:11 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I too was a bit surprised of the #2 Minneapolis and admittedly I have never been but I’m pretty dialed in to cities being an urban animal-love cities!. I’ve heard and outwardly discovered from friends and sites like this that it is a fine city, full of lakes, parks and fun neighborhoods, but so too have I heard that the downtown is somewhat lackluster, as in many cities the surrounding core neighborhoods pick up the slack. I’ve never been to Milwaukee either but for some reason it seems like a way cooler, fun and more desirable city to visit than Minneapolis. Mall of America? Just shoot me.

The rest of the cities seem pretty right on. I guess a bit odd that NYC is down a bit but hey, Chicago is pretty awesome and I would definitely plunk Philly in there in the top three as fun for visitors. Have never been to New Orleans, Honolulu or San Antonio but they all seem to have qualities that would place them on the list. I have no desire whatsoever to visit Honolulu but would love to visit New Orleans - probably the most distinctive and unique culture and built environment in the US, and also San Antonio, sprawling as it is and kitschy Canal Zone it seems to have some of the best historic neighborhoods and overall some of the best domestic architecture in the state.
As others have pointed out, Conde Nast is a heavily NYC-centric publication. It’s plausible, I’d even say very plausible, that a large plurality if not majority of its readers are from NYC or at least the Northeast where NYC is either home or a weekend trip. So they may not vote for NYC because they’re already living it or have been there so many times.

I don’t understand why they’ve poo-poo’d San Francisco. It really should be in the same conversation as Chicago in terms of just about everything and it is definitely more of a tourist destination. At first I thought it was perhaps the cleanliness/homelessness issue, since SF is really quite disgusting compared to places like Chicago and Minneapolis in areas visitors would go, but places like New Orleans also made the list, as well as San Diego and Honolulu which also have well-known homelessness issues (none as bad as SF though). Plus, New York is a pretty dirty city despite not having quite the same magnitude of homelessness. So I’m a bit stumped.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:23 PM

264 posts, read 250,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
As others have pointed out, Conde Nast is a heavily NYC-centric publication. It’s plausible, I’d even say very plausible, that a large plurality if not majority of its readers are from NYC or at least the Northeast where NYC is either home or a weekend trip. So they may not vote for NYC because they’re already living it or have been there so many times.

I don’t understand why they’ve poo-poo’d San Francisco. It really should be in the same conversation as Chicago in terms of just about everything and it is definitely more of a tourist destination. At first I thought it was perhaps the cleanliness/homelessness issue, since SF is really quite disgusting compared to places like Chicago and Minneapolis in areas visitors would go, but places like New Orleans also made the list, as well as San Diego and Honolulu which also have well-known homelessness issues (none as bad as SF though). Plus, New York is a pretty dirty city despite not having quite the same magnitude of homelessness. So I’m a bit stumped.
It's just one of many lists. SF bound to be on other lists that ask the same broad question. It's actually good to not see the cities you would expect to top these lists. Maybe people just like the "vibe" of a place not so much the endless attractions, landmarks, grandeur which is why cities like San Antonio and Minneapolis are here.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:32 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:

2016 was when NYC was last voted #1 Chicago was #2. Its subscribers are not merely New Yorkers either. It has a international edition based in London that they now merged. They have Vogue and GQ and others too. Definitely more higher-end traveler based too.

Their yearly list make National news sources and probably the UK at least.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:53 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietInKC View Post
It's just one of many lists. SF bound to be on other lists that ask the same broad question. It's actually good to not see the cities you would expect to top these lists. Maybe people just like the "vibe" of a place not so much the endless attractions, landmarks, grandeur which is why cities like San Antonio and Minneapolis are here.
My first impression of the list was wow, they have good taste. A few cities I would swap out but overall, pretty solid lists for both the large and small cities.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:59 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
My first impression of the list was wow, they have good taste. A few cities I would swap out but overall, pretty solid lists for both the large and small cities.
Yeah, I’ve only been to four of the smaller cities but each and every one are high on my “bucket list” of cities to absolutely experience and that have piqued my interest enough to go social and internet toe dipping to prepare for that visit.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:12 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Last calculations... Chicago is slightly majority non-Hispanic White. Though Hispanic White has it jump to the mid-40% range. The Hispanic population passed the Black population around 2016.

https://theuspopulation.com/chicago-population/

From link:
Per U.S. Census estimates as of July 2k16, Chicago’s largest racial or ethnic group is White by 2%
- non-Hispanic White at 32.6% of the population,
- Hispanic population increasing to 29.7% of the population
- Blacks declining to 29.3% of the population from 32.9% in 2k10.

The Black population has been dropping for a couple decades as by far the largest group leaving the city. Just was such a significant drop in its population showing losses to very slow growth as a large reason.
Black people seem to be hightailing it away from Chicago like its nobody's business. I guess the Midwest is just an easy place to leave. Any societal or social problem that primarily effects blacks negatively is without a doubt worse in Philadelphia than in Chicago. However, I just have this idea that people in Philadelphia understand that they're already in the coolest part of the country Generally speaking, being fairly close to NYC and Washington DC in the middle of the Northeast corridor.

Also Chicago is closer to the west where there is low humidity. Growing up on the east coast (Connecticut actually), I don't see why anyone would want to live any further down the east coast. The humidity probably just becomes more unbearable.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:27 AM

795 posts, read 482,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
A lot of old white people cities making this list. Sort of describes the stereotype of the Conde Nast reader.

I'm sick and tired of ignorant comments like this and people getting away with it.

I see nothing wrong with the list... I'm not sure why people are complaining because any certain city isn't on the list.. Why do 'homers' have to make everything about everything only about their preferred city?! I get the impression 'homers' have big ego problems.

I personally love seeing Minneapolis and Pittsburgh on a top 10 list about something positive. Seeing the same 5-8 typical biggest cities on every list was getting quite old.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:43 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
I agree with these lists overall. I'm surprised to see Minneapolis so high. Same with Pittsburgh. I'd probably peg them at the lower end of the Top 10 (perhaps Minneapolis 9th and Pittsburgh 10th). For those whining that they're just "old white people cities" bear in mind that this isn't the case at all. Both cities are increasingly diverse and are fun to visit with a high quality-of-life. I'd give the nod to Minneapolis for quality-of-life over Pittsburgh for sure EXCEPT winters, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City