Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 06:48 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times

Advertisements

There will be another list in 2 weeks from a “source to end all sources” that will have a different set of cities and/or rankings. Patience, grasshoppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 07:18 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Black people seem to be hightailing it away from Chicago like its nobody's business. I guess the Midwest is just an easy place to leave. Any societal or social problem that primarily effects blacks negatively is without a doubt worse in Philadelphia than in Chicago. However, I just have this idea that people in Philadelphia understand that they're already in the coolest part of the country Generally speaking, being fairly close to NYC and Washington DC in the middle of the Northeast corridor.

Also Chicago is closer to the west where there is low humidity. Growing up on the east coast (Connecticut actually), I don't see why anyone would want to live any further down the east coast. The humidity probably just becomes more unbearable.
What did I just read?

And, are you saying people leave Chicago and move west in search of lower humidity? Or that Chicago has lower humidity being that it's west of the Northeast?

Old 10-11-2019, 10:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Minneapolis hosted the Super Bowl in 2018 which may have something to do with their high ranking.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:03 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I agree with these lists overall. I'm surprised to see Minneapolis so high. Same with Pittsburgh. I'd probably peg them at the lower end of the Top 10 (perhaps Minneapolis 9th and Pittsburgh 10th). For those whining that they're just "old white people cities" bear in mind that this isn't the case at all. Both cities are increasingly diverse and are fun to visit with a high quality-of-life. I'd give the nod to Minneapolis for quality-of-life over Pittsburgh for sure EXCEPT winters, of course.
I'm not surprised. The voters are the people who've been to those cities -- a group predisposed to like them. Also, both are more interesting and vibrant than their reputations.

I once flew across the country to visit these two cities as a tourist for a few days each. My friends thought that was odd, but it was a great trip.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:25 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
What did I just read?

And, are you saying people leave Chicago and move west in search of lower humidity? Or that Chicago has lower humidity being that it's west of the Northeast?
It's mostly just hot air. A mix of observation and theories.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:17 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
It's mostly just hot air. A mix of observation and theories.
Humidity has little to do with it. Winters probably much more. Really the East is humid too much of the summer. Perhaps its because seems Midwesterners chaos going west over south and you here Arizona is a big destination. Retire folk especially.
But this has little to do with why Chicago won for the 3rd year. Best large travel city by Condi Nast subscribers. I gave reasons in past post.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:12 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Again I think you are missing the title of the poll, the lot of you. It is "Most Enjoyable" not "Mot Visited"

More People visit NYC than Minneapolis. But did More people (Greater %) have fun/enjoy NYC? Debatable. After living in NY for a while, there were a lot of tourists who simply did not like NYC. A lot did. But alot were overhwelmed, or felt NYC was too dirty, etc ... Its understandable. The parameters around visiting Minneapolis isnt as grimey or risky as NYC. You visit a mall, the largest in America I think, and it has a theme park. Go Downtown and the University, its a pretty walk... god food too. Boston as well. Much less grimey areas and when people visit Boston they go for 2-4 days. You can size up the city and enjoy it in 2 days. NY, LA, etc arent for everybody and theresmore risk to a 'great vacation'.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:30 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
If people go to Minneapolis they aren't expecting Times Square or the Statue of Liberty. People vote relative to their expectations. Minneapolis is a nice, pleasant city. I suspect two of its largest visitor categories are (a) people who go for family or business and are surprised that they enjoy it so much, and (b) people who already know the city, which is the self-selection I referred to earlier. New York visitors expect to be amazed, and if they're not it's a disappointment.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:19 PM

567 posts, read 431,194 times
I too took a poll of 15 "registered voters," 10 Democrats, 3 Republicans and 2 Independent voters, regarding favorite cities to visit in the US, and New York City came out on top followed by, LA, SF, Miami, Vegas, Seattle, Boston, and Chicago. In my poll none had ever visited Minneapolis, San Antonio, or Pittsburgh. My poll was conducted at a local neighborhood pub.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:49 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
I too took a poll of 15 "registered voters," 10 Democrats, 3 Republicans and 2 Independent voters, regarding favorite cities to visit in the US, and New York City came out on top followed by, LA, SF, Miami, Vegas, Seattle, Boston, and Chicago. In my poll none had ever visited Minneapolis, San Antonio, or Pittsburgh. My poll was conducted at a local neighborhood pub.
Conde Nast has 600.000+ subscribers. They are in general. Well traveled and probably professionals that seek finer things in cities they visit .... to top resort retreats not Orlando or even a Vegas.

No one believes its a list to end all list. But still 3-years in a roll for Chicago. Means the city has something they discovered. It has become a high tourist destination and all virtually head to its one Core.

Still this list was separated by large cities, midsized and smaller too. It seems the city impresses far more then not .... to exceeding expectations. In that its no surprise given its high-end dining offerings and Hotels to Shopping only a very few cites can match. Shows why it can rate high by these travelers.

There was a time even Chicago. Not just rising new fast growing cities. Made few list as this. Despite its negatives most have heard. It did many things right. Its past glory still there like Museums and Architecture and now a booming live-in Core it once wasn't a few decades ago. It is getting recognition.

Just as the days NYC help so much superiority and then LA, SF added. Chicago rose also. Despite winters and its gang on gang areas. Being seen as clean and far less homeless send then some cities. Works too in its favor.

The days are over all is by far NYC, with LA, SF Miami Beach Vegas topping list. More cites are splitting the pie of assets too. Chicago is NOW CLEARLY PART OF THIS CLUB ABOVE over merely flyover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City