Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Fort Lauderdale 14 42.42%
Sarasota 5 15.15%
St. Petersburg 18 54.55%
West Palm Beach 4 12.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 05:39 AM

17,198 posts, read 15,390,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I would have thought Clearwater was more of a secondary city than Sarasota since it has an actual CBD and all.
They all have “an actual CBD.” Sarasota especially has a very booming CBD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 05:42 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I would have thought Clearwater was more of a secondary city than Sarasota since it has an actual CBD and all.
Downtown Clearwater is rather hindered by the national headquarter operations of the Scientology Church, which has a large physical presence and a deterrent unfortunately to businesses/potential foot traffic.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:51 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Yes. I'm not sure about specific stats, but I am almost positive that at this point (ignoring hotel resorts), Sarasota has more vertical in it's downtown, and probably more office space too. I'm not sure how that would translate to total employment stats. I'll tell you this though. Clearwater, overall, feels much more like a sleepy beach community at this point than Sarasota does, contrary to reputation. Obviously, the beach area is very active and vertical. That being said, once you leave from there, the community is centered around that and tourism in a way it isn't in Sarasota. I was in Downtown Clearwater in April, and wandered a bit (some interesting historic properties, and actually pretty decent street level activity in the CBD). That being said, in general, that downtown at this point pales in comparison to Downtown Sarasota, on multiple levels. I think those surrounding neighborhoods too feel like some of the more economically depressed one would find in peninsular Florida at this point, at least IMO. Which really can't be said for Sarasota, as the other poster mentioned, it is in the midst of a building boom.

Church of Scientology may have helped at some point, but I would agree, they most certainly hurt it at this point. Same goes for Ybor in that regard.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:48 AM

https://www.facebook.com/DoverKohl/p...type=3&theater

Some more evidence of what has been happening in West Palm Beach of late. Rapidly becoming, while small, arguably the most inviting downtown space in all of FL.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:47 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
https://www.facebook.com/DoverKohl/p...type=3&theater

Some more evidence of what has been happening in West Palm Beach of late. Rapidly becoming, while small, arguably the most inviting downtown space in all of FL.
I don't know about most inviting and yes, it is kind of small. St Pete on the other hand in my opinion given it's size is arguably the most appealing downtown from a pedestrian perspective of the larger cities in the state.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I don't know about most inviting and yes, it is kind of small. St Pete on the other hand in my opinion given it's size is arguably the most appealing downtown from a pedestrian perspective of the larger cities in the state.
So I think this is in part a semantics thing and in part of a difference in interpretation. If we are talking urban core, St. Pete is certainly larger, and quite possibly also more inviting. However, St. Pete's CBD limits are only about .4 miles wide by .9 miles long. WPB Downtown then is of a similar size, even it outer parts/adjacent neighborhoods are smaller/less active.

I'd agree that St. Pete is more vibrant/larger overall which is why it's my first choice.. but as for the downtown itself, I'd argue that Clematis St esp. with streetscape improvements will be as active and vibrant a main street center as these cities have as activity extending directly up to the water. I'd also posit that there isn't quite a retail equivalent in choice/convenience/activity surrounding it in the other communities that would compare with Rosemary Square/CityPlace... though to be fair I visited on a Friday night most recently.. which can influence things lol. I will say though none of the other cities are that spoilt for retail presence, though.

Also it's the closest distance from it to the actual beach than any of the others. From the SE corner of DT WPB, it's only a mile to the coast.. that difference is felt somehow too, IMO.

As grocery stores go (arguably one of most important urban amenity for walkability)... IMO Fort Lauderdale is the weak link of the group, because while it appears there is a Publix there, it looks to be on the opposite side of Las Olas from what I would consider the primary section of downtown, whereas the other three all have them closer and more integrated with their cores.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:58 PM

https://www.doverkohl.com/all-projects-1

Whether you agree on WPB or not.. if you are remotely interested in cities and their developments.. this site is a treasure trove of interesting things.. both plans, codes, and completed/upcoming projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City