Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 09:01 AM

151 posts, read 133,476 times

Advertisements

Out of the following, which cities have the most lively downtowns and which have the least lively downtown?

-Nashville
-Knoxville
-Memphis
-Louisville
-Cincinnati
-Dayton
-Columbus
-Kansas City
-Wichita
-Pittsburgh

If there’s already a thread in this then please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 09:04 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,681,843 times
Nashville is the most lively for visitors, however Pittsburgh probably has the most active functional urban core of this group.

Dayton is probably the least bustling of these, overall.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:02 AM

817 posts, read 601,176 times
Most: Memphis or Pittsburgh.

Least: Kansas City, Wichita, Dayton.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:08 AM

10,083 posts, read 14,463,858 times
Most lively, to least:

1. Pittsburgh - bustling moreso from a dense, corporate and business perspective. It is first on this list but barely eeks it out over #2 Nashville.
2. Nashville - vibrant, happening, booming, and flooded with tourists. Increasing residential population as well as business. Not to the level of Pittsburgh--yet. But in 5 years, revisit, and yes most likely.
3. Cincinnati
4. Kansas City
5. Columbus
6. Memphis
7. Louisville
8. Knoxville
9. Wichita
10. Dayton

Last edited by mjlo; 10-14-2019 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 10-14-2019, 11:02 AM

7,144 posts, read 4,552,321 times
I have lived in Wichita and there is very little to do. KC Missouri on the other hand has lots to offer as does Milwaukee.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:20 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,525,745 times
Pittsburgh, then Nashville, then Memphis.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:41 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Most lively, to least:

1. Pittsburgh - bustling moreso from a dense, corporate and business perspective. It is first on this list but barely eeks it out over #2 Nashville.
2. Nashville - vibrant, happening, booming, and flooded with tourists. Increasing residential population as well as business. Not to the level of Pittsburgh--yet. But in 5 years, revisit, and yes most likely.
3. Cincinnati
4. Kansas City
5. Columbus
6. Memphis
7. Louisville
8. Knoxville
9. Wichita
10. Dayton

Completely disagree here. I have been to almost all these cities in the last 3 years. I was last in Wichita almost ten years ago, but it doesn't seem to be doing so hot.

As of 2020, Nashville handily wins

1) Nashville
2) Pittsburgh

huggggge drop off
3) (tie) KC and Cincinnati
small drop off
4 (tie) Columbus and Louisville
5) Memphis (a downtown that to me seems to have even lost momentum due to crime but I could see putting it right there with Columbus and Louisville)

MASSIVEEEEEE DROP off
6) Knoxville
7) Dayton
8) Wichita

The reality is, the cities in the top 4-5 in my rankings, outside Nasvhille, are MUCH closer than any of the boosters here want to admit. And no other city here has created such a massive new district like the Gulch and really the entire south of Broadway area like Nashville. Also, if you haven't been to Louisville in the last year since the ten downtown bourbon attractions and now 6,000 plus downtown hotels (and rapidly growing) have been added , you haven't been to Louisville to fairly rate it.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:46 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,681,843 times
Knoxville is actually a pretty cool and vibrant downtown, given it's size. Depending on what our definition of "downtown" is, I would argue that Knoxville could actually challenge some larger cities of this groups Downtowns (KC and Columbus at least), even if of lesser importance, on vibrancy and walkability due to UT.

I would also say that, just talking of downtown, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are pretty comparable honestly, though as I said, Pittsburgh does have the most active and urban core.

Nashville is also a bit of a paper tiger here, IMO, if you happen to visit and it's not an evening weekend, crowds are pretty thin and it isn't all that structurally dense, even with the recent boom. Obviously, it gets great crowds and can be vibrant in tourism due to that, but I would also say Nashville thins and suburbanizes much more quickly outside of the core than some of these other places do also. It doesn't have anything that would be the equivalent of High St. in Columbus IMO, nor does it have dense intown neighborhoods like say Over the Rhine Cincinnati-or Old Louisville.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:05 AM

367 posts, read 586,003 times
Nashville is head and shoulders above the rest of these at all times.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:47 AM

151 posts, read 133,476 times
Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. And thanks for not beating me up for including Tennessee and Pittsburgh (which are technically not apart of the Midwest).

Last question: How does Lexington, Des Moines and Fort Wayne compare with all of the others above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City