Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these US cities have the best downtowns to reside in?
Seattle 49 32.03%
Portland 22 14.38%
Sacramento 5 3.27%
San Diego 20 13.07%
San Jose 0 0%
Las Vegas 1 0.65%
Phoenix 8 5.23%
Honolulu 6 3.92%
Salt Lake City 1 0.65%
Albuquerque 2 1.31%
Denver 16 10.46%
Omaha 7 4.58%
Kansas City 5 3.27%
St Louis 4 2.61%
Dallas 12 7.84%
Fort Worth 2 1.31%
Houston 5 3.27%
San Antonio 0 0%
Austin 15 9.80%
Oklahoma City 0 0%
Minneapolis 18 11.76%
Des Moines 2 1.31%
New Orleans 6 3.92%
Memphis 0 0%
Milwaukee 8 5.23%
Detroit 6 3.92%
Indianapolis 3 1.96%
Louisville 4 2.61%
Nashville 16 10.46%
Birmingham 1 0.65%
Atlanta 15 9.80%
Tampa 2 1.31%
Orlando 4 2.61%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Miami 10 6.54%
Ft Lauderdale 2 1.31%
Charlotte 8 5.23%
Raleigh 3 1.96%
Richmond, VA 5 3.27%
Norfolk, VA 2 1.31%
Virginia Beach, VA 2 1.31%
Washington, DC 32 20.92%
Baltimore 10 6.54%
Cleveland 14 9.15%
Columbus 6 3.92%
Cincinnati 6 3.92%
Pittsburgh 22 14.38%
Philadelphia 52 33.99%
Jersey City 9 5.88%
Buffalo 0 0%
Rochester 1 0.65%
Boston 44 28.76%
Hartford 2 1.31%
Stamford 4 2.61%
Providence 13 8.50%
Other City? 9 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 09:57 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Chose Washington. Biased a little, but the greater downtown DC area really has anything and everything. (Not just the arbitrary area referred to as downtown DC, but what any normal person would clearly see as being pretty much the downtown area). Philly and Boston too.

Everything else starts to blend even accounting for size discrepancy, so tie for the rest. A McCormick's and a few bars downtown, maybe a token Neighborhood Target, maybe a Whole Foods is generally how most US Downtown areas seem to be. You have to go to the suburbs for pretty much anything. DC, Philly and a couple others there's no point in going to suburban areas.

I'm not even sure, as big as Atlanta and Houston are, for example, if they even have legit grocery stores (places that close at 6PM don't count)in their downtowns. A grocery store.... I'm pretty sure Midtown has one, maybe. Other than that, pretty sure you have to drive to a place with a large surface parking lot or maybe one of those new urban-style retail developments with a couple big box retailers wrapped around a parking deck. I mention that because my point is, Im not sure someone in say downtown Atlanta is going to have an earth shattering different urban lifestyle than say someone in Austin. Despite the yuge size difference.
Downtown Houston has one that opened earlier this decade but it’s not surprising seeing as how the population was never large. It’s only now starting to grow. Downtown Dallas I believe has one as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 12:22 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I picked other for downtown Los Angeles since I do love living in DTLA along with San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia and Seattle.
I like Downtown LA but I dont think 2020 is its year. A few more years will make it a very good year. I hope the current efforts to house the homeless and get them mental/addiction help really does make a change for the better. Downtown would really explode if people felt safer and streets cleaner. It would attract more family types instead of the younger 20s-30s type crowd into the trendy cafes/eateries, bars/lounges.
I think more housing needs to be completed to really connect all the many neighborhoods. Projects like LA times Mirror building, Grand Ave buildings and some other buildings and that new park across the Times building would really help the transition from Chinatown and Little Tokyo to Bunker Hill to Civic Center and the Historic Core. Currently it feels dead on weekends in the civic center. I think the opening of the Regional connector with new stops at Bunker Hill and LA Times at Broadway would really help with increased pedestrian activity, but that is still a few years away from opening with all the delays.
There are lot of projects in Downtown that I feel needs to get done soon. The Broadway Trade Center despite its cleaned exterior is still closed. Oceanwide Project never seems to get done. The 6th street viaduct is slowing coming along. And as mentioned the regional connector. I also want to add the streetcar but I dont see that happening.

So I would give Downtown LA 3-5 years if things progress as a premier place to live that is clean, modern meets old, very vibrant throughout and full of pedestrians enjoying all it has to offer.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:42 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I have similar feelings about Seattle. It's come so far but I see its flaws and believe we're addressing some of them.

Every year represents significant growth. In three years all of the current work will be done, including some real game-changers like the convention center and central waterfront rebuilds. A lot of today's gaps will be filled. The number of people on the streets will be substantially higher.

Meanwhile we'll hopefully have progress on street disorder and urban campers. This year street disorder (petty theft and so on) is at least at the top of the public debate. At the state level we're pouring money into behavioral health. At the local level we're focusing on affordable housing (with a mix of smart and stupid policies). None of this will solve everything, but hopefully things will ease a bit. (I live on the Downtown fringe and don't really see either issues much in my daily life, but others do.)

Old 10-18-2019, 04:43 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I have similar feelings about Seattle. It's come so far but I see its flaws and believe we're addressing some of them.

Every year represents significant growth. In three years all of the current work will be done, including some real game-changers like the convention center and central waterfront rebuilds. A lot of today's gaps will be filled. The number of people on the streets will be substantially higher.

Meanwhile we'll hopefully have progress on street disorder and urban campers. This year street disorder (petty theft and so on) is at least at the top of the public debate. At the state level we're pouring money into behavioral health. At the local level we're focusing on affordable housing (with a mix of smart and stupid policies). None of this will solve everything, but hopefully things will ease a bit. (I live on the Downtown fringe and don't really see either issues much in my daily life, but others do.)
Nashville has experienced similar problems along with the growth. Petty crimes, pickpocketing, smash and grabs, and youth crimes have increased. The city is making an effort to improve affordable housing, but it is late in addressing the amount of homeless on the streets. The city is depending too heavily on religious institutions and volunteer groups to help with some of the issues, but has no plan to address the problems in its long-term growth plan.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I based my vote on the cities I'm familiar with, something that seems rather odd to many CD posters. Alphabetically, Denver, Minneapolis, Omaha and Pittsburgh all have nice downtowns to live in.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:14 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I based my vote on the cities I'm familiar with, something that seems rather odd to many CD posters. Alphabetically, Denver, Minneapolis, Omaha and Pittsburgh all have nice downtowns to live in.

You forgot Philadelphia

Old 10-18-2019, 11:05 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Downtown Houston has one that opened earlier this decade but it’s not surprising seeing as how the population was never large. It’s only now starting to grow. Downtown Dallas I believe has one as well.
So does downtown Kansas City - and the development that includes it moves the city into the "downtowns worth considering" category.

KC's downtown core has one of those Cordish-developed entertainment districts. The supermarket is also part of this district. The City of Kansas City, Mo., paid dearly for the development, but it has had the desired effect, more or less. Two high-rise apartment towers adjacent to this district add residences to the mix (most of the others in the downtown core lie on its western edge).

Combine the downtown core with the River Market just to its north (where you'll find the city's public market, a smaller version of Seattle's Pike Place or Philadelphia's Reading Terminal) and the Crossroads Arts District to its south (where the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts is located along with a bunch of art galleries), and you have enough choices for entertainment, dining, nightlife and food shopping to make living there viable (and there's now a streetcar connecting all of these places).

It's not yet in the league of Philly, Boston, Seattle or DC (in that order; I voted for all of those save DC), but it's risen into the ranks of livable downtowns over the last decade or so. And you will now find Kansas Citians both living and visiting the downtown, things they didn't do in the 1980s.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
You forgot Philadelphia
I'm not really familiar with Philly.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:31 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'm not really familiar with Philly.
Well then you didn’t really make an informed decision.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:05 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well then you didn’t really make an informed decision.
The person did say the areas he or she was familiar with personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City