Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these US cities have the best downtowns to reside in?
Seattle 49 32.03%
Portland 22 14.38%
Sacramento 5 3.27%
San Diego 20 13.07%
San Jose 0 0%
Las Vegas 1 0.65%
Phoenix 8 5.23%
Honolulu 6 3.92%
Salt Lake City 1 0.65%
Albuquerque 2 1.31%
Denver 16 10.46%
Omaha 7 4.58%
Kansas City 5 3.27%
St Louis 4 2.61%
Dallas 12 7.84%
Fort Worth 2 1.31%
Houston 5 3.27%
San Antonio 0 0%
Austin 15 9.80%
Oklahoma City 0 0%
Minneapolis 18 11.76%
Des Moines 2 1.31%
New Orleans 6 3.92%
Memphis 0 0%
Milwaukee 8 5.23%
Detroit 6 3.92%
Indianapolis 3 1.96%
Louisville 4 2.61%
Nashville 16 10.46%
Birmingham 1 0.65%
Atlanta 15 9.80%
Tampa 2 1.31%
Orlando 4 2.61%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Miami 10 6.54%
Ft Lauderdale 2 1.31%
Charlotte 8 5.23%
Raleigh 3 1.96%
Richmond, VA 5 3.27%
Norfolk, VA 2 1.31%
Virginia Beach, VA 2 1.31%
Washington, DC 32 20.92%
Baltimore 10 6.54%
Cleveland 14 9.15%
Columbus 6 3.92%
Cincinnati 6 3.92%
Pittsburgh 22 14.38%
Philadelphia 52 33.99%
Jersey City 9 5.88%
Buffalo 0 0%
Rochester 1 0.65%
Boston 44 28.76%
Hartford 2 1.31%
Stamford 4 2.61%
Providence 13 8.50%
Other City? 9 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 01:42 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times

Advertisements

There's aren't 2x as many. Only an apples-kumquats comparison would suggest it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 01:55 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
This is about one notch away from "vibe" or "it factor."

So nothing specific to mention then, other than it is more densely populated

We really need to solve this mystery as to why 2X as many people live in DTLA since its so much less desirable than DT SF!!
Wait the items s/he mentioned aren’t specific? Your sardonic tone is cute and all, but I’m not sure dismissing specific things like density, tourism, retail, etc as “vibe” does much for your argument.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:58 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I made a 9th best Downtown in the country thread that basically eliminated NY, LA, Chi, Bos, Philly, SF, Seattle, DC and basically like 15 cities were brought up as possibilities as the next city.

After the top 8 (which itself has 4 tiers) it’s really a free for all of pretty similar downtowns.
It was a good thread. Too bad that thread was locked. I think that it needed a poll though.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:12 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I made a 9th best Downtown in the country thread that basically eliminated NY, LA, Chi, Bos, Philly, SF, Seattle, DC and basically like 15 cities were brought up as possibilities as the next city.

After the top 8 (which itself has 4 tiers) it’s really a free for all of pretty similar downtowns.
Yea, that was a good thread. I thought it was funny that people felt the topic really strange, but then in every topic about how urban or walkable a place is, it's the same list at those top slots. The only thing I disagreed with was keeping Seattle out of contention.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
This is about one notch away from "vibe" or "it factor."

So nothing specific to mention then, other than it is more densely populated

We really need to solve this mystery as to why 2X as many people live in DTLA since its so much less desirable than DT SF!!
DTLA often covers a fairly large footprint when stats are brought up as opposed to downtown SF which is usually limited to just SF's Financial District and quite small, but borders very dense mixed-use districts. On top of that, the greater SF downtown area is a much larger retail, tourism, and job cluster than downtown LA is and so draws in a lot more people which helps account for why it feels and is so much more bustling in the equivalent downtown area. DTLA is vastly improved and anchors a much larger metropolitan area, but it has a lot more close-by competitors though at some point in the near future I do believe DTLA will be very apparently as vibrant or more so than its SF counterpart.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:28 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Wait the items s/he mentioned aren’t specific? Your sardonic tone is cute and all, but I’m not sure dismissing specific things like density, tourism, retail, etc as “vibe” does much for your argument.
No, they aren't the slightest bit specific.

Its the exact equivalent of writing "hard worker, self starter, pays attention to detail, works well with others" on your resume without including any actual details of your work history.

Can anyone on team San Francisco even name a bar or restaurant downtown without googling?

We actually had a thread not too long ago in which "cars honking like NYC" was given as a feature of DT San Francisco.

Retail-what exactly would be the SF equivalent to the Toy, Fashion, and Jewelry districts located in DTLA?

Tourism-what places are tourists hitting up in downtown San Francisco? I'd really like to know this one.

The whole argument seems to be "I see buildings that appear closer together with narrower streets, so I"m giving it the benefit of the doubt without actually knowing whats located within that area."

Old 10-21-2019, 04:11 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
You should visit San Francisco sometime. Those of us who've been there get it.

Old 10-21-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Its the exact equivalent of writing "hard worker, self starter, pays attention to detail, works well with others" on your resume without including any actual details of your work history.

Can anyone on team San Francisco even name a bar or restaurant downtown without googling?

We actually had a thread not too long ago in which "cars honking like NYC" was given as a feature of DT San Francisco.

Retail-what exactly would be the SF equivalent to the Toy, Fashion, and Jewelry districts located in DTLA?

Tourism-what places are tourists hitting up in downtown San Francisco? I'd really like to know this one.

The whole argument seems to be "I see buildings that appear closer together with narrower streets, so I"m giving it the benefit of the doubt without actually knowing whats located within that area."
Yea, I came name bars and restaurants for downtown LA or SF though I visit LA a lot more. What are you considering DT San Francisco and DTLA? Is DT San Francisco the Financial District, Chinatown, Union Square, the Tenderloin, SOMA, China Basin, South Beach, Mission Bay and Civic Center or are you going for a wider area? There are probably several people who can give you a good itinerary if you’re planning a trip. It’s pretty densely built, so there are a lot of smaller sections sort of akin to how DTLA has a lot of smaller sub neighborhoods.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:42 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times
Quote:

I’m not sure how something like density isn’t specific enough for you. I have been to both downtowns (granted Downtown SF more recently) and know what’s inside, thank you very much!

Old 10-21-2019, 07:52 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
You should visit San Francisco sometime. Those of us who've been there get it.
But those of us that visited DTLA maybe once a couple of years ago form a very strong opinion like they're experts.
I get it. I've been to downtown San Francisco numerous times. Will be there Friday in fact. But to say it will take DTLA decades to be on DTSF's level is completely ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City