Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 04:40 PM

130 posts, read 86,466 times

Advertisements

I live in SLC and I love it here. Both cities are great options. It can easily get into the 90s in the summer, which totally bearable to me. Spring and fall are heavenly here and it’s sunny year around, it’s not nearly as bad as Phoenix. In my opinion the food scene is great, I’m strictly plant based so I’m not really familiar with everything there is here.

The economy is great in both cities and I’m sure you’d find work easily. Tons of construction going on with 6 or 7 new towers going up soon in downtown and a new airport is also under construction in Salt Lake City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 05:35 PM

50 posts, read 20,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallVegan View Post
a new airport is also under construction in Salt Lake City.
I've heard about it!

The weather doesn't sound too bad, then. Humidity is low, yeah? It was a hot summer here this year, in the 90's more than I ever remember it being, but humid as well It actually looks like SLC gets pretty cold and snowy, but only for about 2 months.

I used to race mountain bike, so I know biking will be a great option there, at least! What about forests/trees? And drinking water..?

Thanks for the info

Last edited by Browniesaurus; 10-22-2019 at 05:46 PM..

Old 10-22-2019, 06:23 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Seattle and Salt Lake City have one thing in common that most don't realize...they both are liberal cities. Now, certainly Seattle is more liberal than Salt Lake City, but SLC is kind of a liberal island compared to the rest of their metro area, and for that matter, their state.

https://utahpolicy.com/index.php/fea...nservative-red

Salt Lake is warmer in the summer and colder in the winter than Seattle. Seattle obviously is not as sunny. Salt Lake can get some pretty nasty inversions in the winter, bringing bad air.

Cost of living, as others have mentioned, is significantly lower than Seattle. However, average pay is higher in Seattle.

Both cities have traffic issues, but Seattle's are worse. Both have light rail.

I have lived in predominant LDS areas before and had few issues being non-Mormon.

Both areas have great recreational options nearby, the Wasatch Front seems to come right down to the city in Utah, where the Cascades are generally about 45 minutes away. Seattle has more boat recreation obviously. Seattle has NFL, MLB and soon NHL. Salt Lake has something Seattle doesn't however, the NBA.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Salt Lake can get some pretty nasty inversions in the winter, bringing bad air.

Cost of living, as others have mentioned, is significantly lower than Seattle. However, average pay is higher in Seattle.

Both cities have traffic issues, but Seattle's are worse.
Seems that traffic and cost are the main drawbacks for Seattle(for me). I've never experienced this bad air yet, thankfully. :\ Phoenix always seemed to have pretty clean air. It would be nice if I could manage to afford going to the PNW straight away, but I'm not sure if the cost of it will make sense. Ugh :\

I've been watching footage of people driving through Seattle, and the opening view to the docks & cranes is amazing...
https://youtu.be/fkps18H3SXY?t=496

Last edited by Browniesaurus; 10-22-2019 at 07:49 PM..

Old 10-22-2019, 08:28 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browniesaurus View Post
But you're in Houston..? :0 There's nothing about San Fran that appeals to me, heh. Except that the Redwoods are nearby, but that certainly doesn't make the COL or traffic worth it! What I love about the PNW is the gorgeous nature, the variety of it, and the relaxed, year-round climate. Definitely not after whatever's going on in the crowded downtown areas.

I definitely need to visit both areas, but Tacoma is certainly an option(or Federal Way, etc). I'm just wondering how insane the daily driving will be, getting into Seattle, and across all the waterways, if/when needed. And it sucks that the Apprenticeship in Seattle costs $1600/yr :\
that depends on what time you will be commuting, but if it's during the normal business hours then it's going to be pretty bad, however if your apprenticeship is in Downtown Seattle and if you are able to find a place next to a park and ride there are many express busses that travel directly between the suburbs and downtown Seattle.

https://www.soundtransit.org/Schedules

Old 10-22-2019, 08:40 PM

130 posts, read 86,466 times
Quote:
I've heard about it!

The weather doesn't sound too bad, then. Humidity is low, yeah? It was a hot summer here this year, in the 90's more than I ever remember it being, but humid as well It actually looks like SLC gets pretty cold and snowy, but only for about 2 months.

I used to race mountain bike, so I know biking will be a great option there, at least! What about forests/trees? And drinking water..?

Thanks for the info
I try to walk as much as I can and I had no issue when it was mid 90s because the humidity is low. I was recently in a city where it was 80 with high humidity and I sweating buckets, it just felt awful being outside at all, this is probably because I’ve only lived in Utah.

I’m pretty sure it snows for more than two month, winter definitely sucks imo, unless you’re into skiing, if you are then there really isn’t any better place to live.

Honestly I’m not outdoorsy at all, there are lots of trees throughout the city especially on the east side. My favorite neighborhoods are The Avenues, Sugarhouse and Capitol Hill, take a look at those to give you a feel for some of the more residential areas right outside of downtown. Also take a look at big and little cottonwood canyons, they are popular hiking/biking areas close to the city.

I would probably choose to live in the PNW too if I could afford it. I’m in my 20s, I’m able to afford my own apartment in new building downtown, have money to travel, savings etc. in Seattle I’d have to have roommates with little money left over. I enjoy the freedom I have in SLC, I can hop in my car and get pretty much anywhere in the city within 10 minutes (the traffic is only bad on the freeway during rush hour) or I can take light rail just as easy.

If you end up choosing SLC I’d suggest staying in the city proper, outside of that it’s too bland and conservative.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:43 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Quote:
Seems that traffic and cost are the main drawbacks for Seattle(for me). I've never experienced this bad air yet, thankfully. :\ Phoenix always seemed to have pretty clean air. It would be nice if I could manage to afford going to the PNW straight away, but I'm not sure if the cost of it will make sense. Ugh :\

I've been watching footage of people driving through Seattle, and the opening view to the docks & cranes is amazing...
https://youtu.be/fkps18H3SXY?t=496
That was what Seattleites call a "great commute" on I-5 NB into the city! It is usually much worse...

That whole video is quite extensive, but does capture a lot of what the city looks like quite well, even with the the "Partly Cloudy" weather, which is common.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:52 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Liked DC, huh. How do you feel about the general traffic, in & around Seattle..? Rain maybe 2-3 days a week? Most beautiful area in the US? =p
Traffic can be tough, like any big city. I think it could be argued that it's the most beautiful US city, but that's very subjective.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
even with the the "Partly Cloudy" weather, which is common.
That's about my ideal weather! I am expecting/assuming it will be maybe a little rainier and darker overall, though. Maybe not!

Old 10-22-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallVegan View Post
I’m pretty sure it snows for more than two month, winter definitely sucks imo

I would probably choose to live in the PNW too if I could afford it. I’m in my 20s, I’m able to afford my own apartment in new building downtown, have money to travel, savings etc. in Seattle I’d have to have roommates with little money left over. I enjoy the freedom I have in SLC, I can hop in my car and get pretty much anywhere in the city within 10 minutes
Well, looking at AccuWeather.com, it seems only like Dec & Feb are in the 30's lol. Bad winters are one thing I hate _so_ much about Buffalo...... I'm not even sure they compare? Hm. I have driven 2 hours here in ~15 foot visibility snowfall before, that usually takes 23 minutes. Absolute nightmare X_X

What are you paying for rent around there? I searched for apartments under $800 around SLC, and only found 1 or 2... Seemed like there were more available around Seattle/Federal Way. I would assume to pay $1000 rent, in either place, but of course would want cheaper.

Last edited by Browniesaurus; 10-22-2019 at 10:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City