Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is better to live if you're filthy rich, Miami or New York?
Miami 35 32.11%
New York 74 67.89%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 09:11 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times

Advertisements

I am from NY, lived 30+ years on the West Coast, and now live in Miami.

You are much closer, obviously, to the islands and would now have the option of taking a cruise—not just flying—to them.

I end up doing the opposite of what you do. The best weather in the country is in SoFla from November 1 through the end of May, no drastic need to get away during that time. Instead, I save my most of my vacation travels for the summer months where it will be cooler (California, Medellin, or—in August—I go to Rio when it is their winter but the temperatures are still 72-80, still beach weather, and it is offseason which provides a good value. Guess that makes me a sunbird instead of a snowbird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You know, humans have access to planes, right? NYC is in a class all it’s own, so people tend to make it their base. To me, the only other US city I would consider living in, is LA. And don’t get me wrong, I am not a Miami hater. I think it is a great city, it is just 1 tier below NYC and LA.

Plus it is nice taking weekend trips to southern Florida to get out of the cold. The contrast makes you really appreciate the warmth and sun. In addition to the weekend FL trips, my family and I like taking a couple of week long trips to the islands every year. I wonder how special those trips would be coming from Miami.

We try to get out west to go skiing once a year. I imagine if we lived in Miami, we would be doing more of that, and less warm vacations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 09:24 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
If I were super rich - my answer is the same for these types of cities. BOTH. If I had to pick one for myself, it would be NYC. If I were actually super rich, I'd probably be doing a lot of arts types of events. While Miami is no slouch for art, NYC is in another world. I do love visiting Miami though.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:28 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
There are a lot of wealthy New Yorkers in Miami especially after the Tax cut.
There's a lot of wealthy people from everywhere in the Miami area. Many have their 2nd, 3rd, etc homes there. Percentage wise, it's a smaller amount who have 100% relocated there pre-retirement. Post-retirement is a different story as there are more who will end up moving to Florida somewhere after they decided they'd like to retire (although there's no such thing as 100% retirement for rich businessmen).

Old 11-17-2019, 09:30 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
NYC hands down, even though the taxes there for the rich are ridiculous. But even then, the amount of amenities offered there is out of this world, so easy choice.

How ridiculous, expecting the wealthy to pay a fair share of taxes.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Why

It will become harder to visit when you need scuba gear.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
this is surprising. humans prefer blizzards; rather than, bikinis ?

I do. I love blizzards. I'm a gay man, wtf is a bikini gonna do for me? And no, I don't need to ogle shirtless men either. It's mid November and I'm already day dreaming of our first blizzard here in Minneapolis. Sad that blizzards are quite uncommon nowadays for New York. You know they haven't had a white Christmas since 2009? Sad.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:41 AM

Out of those two? New York in a heartbeat. It took me 'til I was 20 to move out of Miami. I am not moving in poor, and I sure as hell won't move back in if I was rich.

New York isn't really for me either. Too crowded, too polluted, too warm. If I had to live there I'd pick Staten Island as it seems the most lowkey spot in the city. If we were talking about New York in the '90s, I'd be more eager to go there.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:43 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I am from NY, lived 30+ years on the West Coast, and now live in Miami.

You are much closer, obviously, to the islands and would now have the option of taking a cruise—not just flying—to them.

I end up doing the opposite of what you do. The best weather in the country is in SoFla from November 1 through the end of May, no drastic need to get away during that time. Instead, I save my most of my vacation travels for the summer months where it will be cooler (California, Medellin, or—in August—I go to Rio when it is their winter but the temperatures are still 72-80, still beach weather, and it is offseason which provides a good value. Guess that makes me a sunbird instead of a snowbird?
True, but I would still be going from tropical weather to slightly more tropical weather. Do you appreciate the time away as much as coming from the cold and snow?

I can see getting away for the summers if I lived in Miami. I have a beach house in NY, and we always have a ton of FL license plates around every summer. When I retire in 10 years, it is definitely possible that we will move down there, and keep the NY beach house for our summers. But while I am working, it is too convenient to live up here. My wife and kids move out there for the whole summer, and I go back and forth on weekends, and vacation weeks. It is a 3 hour drive, or a 35 minute flight.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:20 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
My body has become acclimated to warm weather climates over the years so even though there is not the escaping cold to heat "relief" factor, I still appreciate the change of scenery even if / in other warm weather cities (be it the Caribbean, South America, or Europe and NYC during late spring/summer). I gave up skiing years ago, but when I lived in CA I used to enjoy 2 ski trips a year to Utah and Colorado knowing that I would be leaving the snow behind; you might enjoy that if/once you move to FL.

My vacations during the summer months here in Florida are more to break up the summer. As long as you live on or near the water (ocean and/or bay) I do not find the summers intolerable here; some fellow ex NY'ers claim the summers feel a little cooler here because of our breezes with the only difference being the duration--Miami has 4 months (sometimes 5--with June being the wild card) of summer vs. the 2-3 month summers in NY. Given your moniker handle, I am going to assume you would be able to afford to live on or close to the water, rather than 5-10 miles inland--where it is noticeably/demonstrably warmer.

If you do move to Miami you will find not only many New Yorkers, but many NY restaurants have moved here (OK, more like opened up Miami extensions) as well--off the top of my head there is Wolfgang's Steakhouse, Il Mulino, Caviar Russe, Lure Fish Bar, Scarpetta, Quality Meats, Upland, Employees Only, Blue Ribbon Sushi, Lucali, Mr. Chow, etc. You will find more ex-NY'ers in Broward or Palm Beach County but if you crave urban living you will still run into them in Miami Beach and Brickell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
True, but I would still be going from tropical weather to slightly more tropical weather. Do you appreciate the time away as much as coming from the cold and snow?

I can see getting away for the summers if I lived in Miami. I have a beach house in NY, and we always have a ton of FL license plates around every summer. When I retire in 10 years, it is definitely possible that we will move down there, and keep the NY beach house for our summers. But while I am working, it is too convenient to live up here. My wife and kids move out there for the whole summer, and I go back and forth on weekends, and vacation weeks. It is a 3 hour drive, or a 35 minute flight.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-17-2019 at 11:36 AM..

Old 11-17-2019, 12:48 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
My body has become acclimated to warm weather climates over the years so even though there is not the escaping cold to heat "relief" factor, I still appreciate the change of scenery even if / in other warm weather cities (be it the Caribbean, South America, or Europe and NYC during late spring/summer). I gave up skiing years ago, but when I lived in CA I used to enjoy 2 ski trips a year to Utah and Colorado knowing that I would be leaving the snow behind; you might enjoy that if/once you move to FL.

My vacations during the summer months here in Florida are more to break up the summer. As long as you live on or near the water (ocean and/or bay) I do not find the summers intolerable here; some fellow ex NY'ers claim the summers feel a little cooler here because of our breezes with the only difference being the duration--Miami has 4 months (sometimes 5--with June being the wild card) of summer vs. the 2-3 month summers in NY. Given your moniker handle, I am going to assume you would be able to afford to live on or close to the water, rather than 5-10 miles inland--where it is noticeably/demonstrably warmer.

If you do move to Miami you will find not only many New Yorkers, but many NY restaurants have moved here (OK, more like opened up Miami extensions) as well--off the top of my head there is Wolfgang's Steakhouse, Il Mulino, Caviar Russe, Lure Fish Bar, Scarpetta, Quality Meats, Upland, Employees Only, Blue Ribbon Sushi, Lucali, Mr. Chow, etc. You will find more ex-NY'ers in Broward or Palm Beach County but if you crave urban living you will still run into them in Miami Beach and Brickell.
My mother in law spends her winters in Palm Beach. We go to visit her often. My wife would never want to move there. She says its too old. She loves Miami though because she says it has a younger vibe. I like Palm Beach, but I’m a golfer, she’s not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City