Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 08:07 AM

963 posts, read 723,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah Asbury Park is considered Central Jersey. As is towns like Woodbridge, Rahway, Bridgewater, New Brunswick, Somerville, Flemington, Lambertville and Edison.

TBH: I live and lived in the heart of Central Jersey, so I am a very biased pro-Central Jersey person lol.

My sig other is from Hackensack and also agrees with my sentiment.
See, I consider Central Jersey further west than the shore, like to me Trenton/Princeton/and maybe New Brunswick (as the northern terminus). Rahway & Linden are definitely North Jersey (I mean, could the Linden Cogen exist anywhere else in the US except North Jersey???) But I'm not from here originally so don't actually care, ha.

The Shore to me is it's own area, from Sandy Hook down to LBI. South of LBI (basically, Brigantine on down) I acknowledge is actually 'South Jersey'. LBI is the place where NY and Philly people mix, otherwise north of LBI as all NY/North Jersey and south of LBI is all Philly (well, + weirdly Quebec people in Cape May).

To bring this back on topic, I'll resurface my rankings from 2019 in this thread, but swapped my #2/3:

1. FFC
2. NNJ
3. Westchester
4. LI

Sorry, LI, still the bridesmaid here. Love your beaches though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 08:23 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
The Shore to me is it's own area, from Sandy Hook down to LBI. South of LBI (basically, Brigantine on down) I acknowledge is actually 'South Jersey'. LBI is the place where NY and Philly people mix, otherwise north of LBI as all NY/North Jersey and south of LBI is all Philly well, + weirdly Quebec people in Cape May).
It may seem far in miles, but I travel the same corridor down from VT that Montrealers use and get on I-87 to Rockland County and hook up with the GSP right before the Tappan Zee. No having to deal with getting through Connecticut & NYC, or having to cross the Hudson. Easy ride and easy access. The amenities at the beach are great, south Jersey beaches have nice water temps and soft fine sand. I'll be going back for more next summer. I loved Cape May and Stone Harbor. IBSP (which I'm guessing is Central Jersey) was one of the nicest beaches I've seen on the East Coast.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-20-2022 at 08:57 AM..

Old 12-20-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
It may seem far in miles, but I travel the same corridor down from VT that Montrealers use and get on I-87 to Rockland County and hook up with the GSP right before the Tappan Zee. No having to deal with getting through Connecticut & NYC, or having to cross the Hudson. Easy ride and easy access. The amenities at the beach are great, south Jersey beaches have nice water temps and soft fine sand. I'll be going back for more next summer. I loved Cape May and Stone Harbor. IBSP (which I'm guessing is Central Jersey) was one of the nicest beaches I've seen on the East Coast.
Yes, Jersey beaches are awesome. I'm a New Englander at heart even if I haven't lived there in 20 years, but NJ beaches run circles around them. I do like IBSP as well, though if you ever get a chance, give LBI a try - it's basically one barrier island south (the northern end is 1/4 mile away as the crow flies), but are generally much less crowded since it's not a state park. Sand quality is the same, the fine white sand, unlike the more claylike sand south of AC.

Being not from NJ originally allows us to not have built-in biases on which beach is the 'best' since our families have not being going there for 50 years (that's a thing!) So we've tried beaches up and down the shore finding our right spot (including Cape May, which we loved as well). LBI has the best beaches in NJ. I suppose my kids will now have built-in biases for LBI lol.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:57 AM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
See, I consider Central Jersey further west than the shore, like to me Trenton/Princeton/and maybe New Brunswick (as the northern terminus). Rahway & Linden are definitely North Jersey (I mean, could the Linden Cogen exist anywhere else in the US except North Jersey???) But I'm not from here originally so don't actually care, ha.

The Shore to me is it's own area, from Sandy Hook down to LBI. South of LBI (basically, Brigantine on down) I acknowledge is actually 'South Jersey'. LBI is the place where NY and Philly people mix, otherwise north of LBI as all NY/North Jersey and south of LBI is all Philly (well, + weirdly Quebec people in Cape May).

To bring this back on topic, I'll resurface my rankings from 2019 in this thread, but swapped my #2/3:

1. FFC
2. NNJ
3. Westchester
4. LI

Sorry, LI, still the bridesmaid here. Love your beaches though.
where are you from originally?

Old 12-20-2022, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Yes, Jersey beaches are awesome. I'm a New Englander at heart even if I haven't lived there in 20 years, but NJ beaches run circles around them. I do like IBSP as well, though if you ever get a chance, give LBI a try - it's basically one barrier island south (the northern end is 1/4 mile away as the crow flies), but are generally much less crowded since it's not a state park. Sand quality is the same, the fine white sand, unlike the more claylike sand south of AC.

Being not from NJ originally allows us to not have built-in biases on which beach is the 'best' since our families have not being going there for 50 years (that's a thing!) So we've tried beaches up and down the shore finding our right spot (including Cape May, which we loved as well). LBI has the best beaches in NJ. I suppose my kids will now have built-in biases for LBI lol.
110% agree.

People here have a beach, and have it for life. My friends grandma SWARES by Pt. Pleasant and the whole family goes there every year. They think its the best...

I personally like Ocean City, Island Beach State Park and Stone Harbor.

I bought a beach pass to Belmar and Long Beach since my friend has family right over the bridge, so why not. Didn't go to LBI at all since mybody decided to power off lmao. Waste of a $50.

but this summer when I move a bit closer to the City I plan on going more.

Old 12-20-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:

I'd agree Jersey beaches have more of a something for everyone range of choices over New England when it comes to beaches. I have two beagles, they like the beach as much as I do. But in season I found beaches that allow pets in New England to be very limited (same with Long Island) and that's what put the Jersey Shore on my radar as there are a fair number of beaches that allow dogs even in summer. I took the pups to IBSP, drove to where the pavement ends and we walked them on the beach down to the inlet and jetties, and got a view of "Old Barney" on LBI across the inlet which unfortunately was covered in scaffolding when I was there. I'll definitely keep LBI on my radar (and I love lighthouses).

Old 12-20-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
where are you from originally?
MA (495/Metrowest area)

Old 12-20-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I'd agree Jersey beaches have more of a something for everyone range of choices over New England when it comes to beaches. I have two beagles, they like the beach as much as I do. But in season I found beaches that allow pets in New England to be very limited (same with Long Island) and that's what put the Jersey Shore on my radar as there are a fair number of beaches that allow dogs even in summer. I took the pups to IBSP, drove to where the pavement ends and we walked them on the beach down to the inlet and jetties, and got a view of "Old Barney" on LBI across the inlet which unfortunately was covered in scaffolding when I was there. I'll definitely keep LBI on my radar (and I love lighthouses).
Also keep Asbury Park on your radar too. Lot's of Yappy Hours, dog friendly restaurants and the boardwalk is dog friendly for a long time...

There is a good restaurant called Bum Rogers that has a doggy menu. I take mine all the time. Right at the entrance to Island Beach State Park... you can see the restaurant from the gates.

Also, the Wildwoods have some cute dog parks on the beach and dog beaches.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Also keep Asbury Park on your radar too. Lot's of Yappy Hours, dog friendly restaurants and the boardwalk is dog friendly for a long time...

There is a good restaurant called Bum Rogers that has a doggy menu. I take mine all the time. Right at the entrance to Island Beach State Park... you can see the restaurant from the gates.

Also, the Wildwoods have some cute dog parks on the beach and dog beaches.
Yes I still have to check out Wonder Bar's Yappy Hours and hit it on the right day. I liked the dog park and beach at Wildwood with the pups, without the pups I made a beeline to Stone Harbor from there (very chill unspoiled vibe there). Check out the Dog Beach at Longport, that was the nicest option for the dogs that I found, parking was easy, no beach tags needed, and it's close to Ocean City.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-20-2022 at 11:04 AM..

Old 12-20-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Yes I still have to check out Wonder Bar's Yappy Hours and hit it on the right day. I liked the dog park and beach at Wildwood with the pups, without the pups I made a beeline to Stone Harbor from there (very chill unspoiled vibe there). Check out the Dog Beach at Longport, that was the nicest option for the dogs that I found, parking was easy, no beach tags needed, and it's close to Ocean City.
Thanks for the recommendations... I will keep this in mind for next Summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City