Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 09:39 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
People in Long Island may seem brusque and impatient, as they are real New Yorkers, but generally, they are noticeably more sociable than people in other parts of the New York metropolitan area, especially Bergen, Fairfield and Westchester counties.

I know several people who have relocated to Long Island from other parts of the country and were pleasantly surprised by how friendly and helpful people generally were, especially in the middle-income towns.

Most Americans have very little knowledge of Long Island (outside of Montauk and the Hamptons) because the area is often viewed a non-contender for transplants. And usually, those are the places where transplants can flourish the most.

Rockland County is similar to Long Island in this regard.
Wait what? That makes no sense. And regarding Rockland County? It's like a poor man's Bergen County. Most Rockland people drive through Bergen to get into the city. If they want to go to good Catholic high schools then many of them go to the highly regarded ones across the state line in Bergen County.

There's too much nonsense on this board with people who know nothing about this area.

In terms of snootiness, it would go FFC/Westchester tied at the top followed by LI and then NJ. LI people are some of the most clueless people I've ever met when it comes to NJ. It's like some bizarre time warp where they think NJ is some far off place and they look down upon it. That's just the way LI people have always been. It's just an extension of the odd NYC/Queens mentality and how they've always viewed NJ. I have several family members who have always been like this. You just get used to it but believe me it is true.

So if you want to talk about the most socially easygoing and least "affected" out of this bunch, give me NJ all day any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 09:41 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
What parts of FFC are you referring to? I live in FFC and this is definitely not my experience. It's more that folks like to be left alone here which is fine with me. Curious to see if your views will evolve as you get into your 30s.

I used to think the same thing in my 20s until I grew a little older (not too much older than you) and actually moved to FFC. The quiet while having direct access to all the amenities and stuff is really nice.
I have a lot of friends/friends of friends from FFC and they are unbearable at times. Im hopeful they evolve over time. But they do brag more than they should.

Maybe people outside their 20s humble themselves? But right now, not so humble.

Old 12-27-2022, 10:05 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I have a lot of friends/friends of friends from FFC and they are unbearable at times. Im hopeful they evolve over time. But they do brag more than they should.

Yea. Humility generally comes with age and experience

Old 12-27-2022, 10:57 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Wait what? That makes no sense. And regarding Rockland County? It's like a poor man's Bergen County. Most Rockland people drive through Bergen to get into the city. If they want to go to good Catholic high schools then many of them go to the highly regarded ones across the state line in Bergen County.

There's too much nonsense on this board with people who know nothing about this area.

In terms of snootiness, it would go FFC/Westchester tied at the top followed by LI and then NJ. LI people are some of the most clueless people I've ever met when it comes to NJ. It's like some bizarre time warp where they think NJ is some far off place and they look down upon it.
That's just the way LI people have always been. It's just an extension of the odd NYC/Queens mentality and how they've always viewed NJ. I have several family members who have always been like this. You just get used to it but believe me it is true.

So if you want to talk about the most socially easygoing and least "affected" out of this bunch, give me NJ all day any day.
I grew up in nnj (Bergen county) and just moved back. IMO the boldest is very accurate. The only thing missing is if the “snootiness” is earned or not. The understated wealth of north jersey is appealing to a lot of people.

Old 12-27-2022, 11:00 AM

809 posts, read 467,694 times
Quote:

Yeah ah that makes sense. I can sense that especially with tik-tokers like the D'Amelio's from FFC.

Generally speaking we're a chill lot around here. We could be more approachable and get out of our own heads sometimes, but overtly bragging and being ostentatious isn't the MO in this area.

Old 12-27-2022, 11:00 AM

Duplicate.

Old 12-27-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post

In terms of snootiness, it would go FFC/Westchester tied at the top followed by LI and then NJ. LI people are some of the most clueless people I've ever met when it comes to NJ. It's like some bizarre time warp where they think NJ is some far off place and they look down upon it. That's just the way LI people have always been. It's just an extension of the odd NYC/Queens mentality and how they've always viewed NJ. I have several family members who have always been like this. You just get used to it but believe me it is true.

So if you want to talk abheut the most socially easygoing and least "affected" out of this bunch, give me NJ all day any day.
Wow i thought i was the only one who thought this... i think this goes for NY in general, specifically Long Island.

Never understood the unnecessary hate against NJ, specifically from said group. Its ignorance.

People from FFC are indifferent on NJ since some go to the shore

Old 12-27-2022, 02:42 PM

1,034 posts, read 562,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I tend to agree on the wealthy discussion though it’s hard to paint with a broad brush. Old and new money in Newport tend to drive nice cars. Athletes tend to like to show wealth although on the opposite end of the spectrum jeff van gundy drove a Honda Civic for years
Athletics usually don’t come from generations of wealth. Many of them came from nothing and worked very hard from very young age to get to where they are today.

They do have the external pressure coming from agents, managers, accountants, sponsors…etc to maintain a certain public image to keep up with their (new gained or well-established) fame/wealth. Sometimes the image can be used as a strategy when it comes time to re-negotiate their contracts and getting more sponsors/media presence. Many people living in public spotlight these days do have pressure like this to either have a big following on social media or to keep generating publicity. (Actors are under contractual obligation to promote their shows/movies on social media; models, especially new ones, are pressured to gain social media following.)

Meanwhile people like Warren Buffet are known to be very frugal (frugal relative to their wealth.) and someone like Mark Zukenburg of Facebook lives in an unassuming modest house. My brother-in-law owns 3 private planes but happily drives a beat-up Honda Civic.

It’s all very relative.

Old 12-28-2022, 05:00 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Really? My uncle owns a country club in Massachusetts and has a few docks on Nantucket and Marthas's Vineyard. Eating out at 5 star restaurants in Boston quite frequently. Rarely see this. Ive been jn the same room as him, a few of his big shot friends, Donnie Wahlberg (for some reason?) and another B List celebrity and they were just on it about smoking weed (not Donnie though...). I think they were more humble than not. People dont really kiss a**, and I sure dont for the people i know who are worth $100mil+.

The next assessment in your middle paragraph is more accurate. I have a family member who desperately tries to act rich. Planned out a whole 250k wedding in Nantucket while burning bridges with people because she got a 6 figure job lol. The constant postings about what super uber expensive restaurant in the Back Bay or Miami she eats at is always on her stories. Truly unrecognizable from where she came from but shes not that wealthy. Its all show. Whereas true wealth, or old money, is so much more humble.

Snotty = im not actually wealthy or new new money. Or just plain straight up, racist. From personal experience

One reason I put NJ out at front is it probably has the most options for people in their 20s. From Hoboken to the Shore to Jc Its where young people want to be. Im Gen Z and I find the super uber duper rich people in NJ from Far Hills/Short Hills/Alpine/Saddle Brook are so much more humble and chill then the FFC and Westchester ones. Long Island, which is old money for NYC area, are decently humble too. I really dont think LI is that snobby. I actually like a good amount of people from there.

FFC is wayyyy too snobby. Wannabe tik tokers and just showing off their homes. Like wtf...
You are mistaking Connecticut resident’s respect for other people’s privacy for being snobby. Big difference. Jay

Old 12-28-2022, 06:36 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
My ranking would go as follows:

1. Fairfield County
2. Westchester County
3. New Jersey
4. Long Island

I’ve lived in both New Jersey and Fairfield County. I have family and friends on in Fairfield County and Long Island and good friends in New Jersey and Westchester, so I have a decent to better than most knowledge of all four.

Too begin with Fairfield County has an overall character and beauty that the others do not have. It’s the New England charm and strong community feel that is lacking in the others. The quality of schools is very high, if not higher than the others and certainly it has the simplest and least costly government setup (no county governments or taxes) resulting in lower taxes (I’ve compared them, by far CT is lower).

New York’s multi-layered government setup with different towns, villages, hamlets, etc. and strong counties is very complex, difficult to understand and deal with. It’s an incredible waste of money. Westchester is a very beautiful county with incredible wealth and built manicured beauty. It’s schools truly excel and it definitely is the most prestigious county in greater New York.

New Jersey has some beautiful areas but they pale in comparison to Fairfield and Westchester. The towns in New Jersey tend to be very small in area and are overly dense. While it’s layers of government are fewer than in New York, it still has strong county governments that seem unnecessary.

Long Island has some beautiful areas, mostly along the coast, but also way too many boring or ugly areas as well. It’s government setup is equally complex as Westchester but overall lacks in comparison in education and beauty. JMHO, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City