Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Faster pace?
Miami 16 14.16%
Atlanta 29 25.66%
Charlotte 7 6.19%
Dallas 14 12.39%
Houston 11 9.73%
Austin 13 11.50%
Nashville 19 16.81%
Raleigh 0 0%
New Orleans 4 3.54%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 02:56 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,046,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Atelier on Flora will be 41 floors.

The Victor in Victory Park will be 39 or 40 floors.

There’s a Hillwood office bldg lot that’s fenced off for construction and supposed to be the tallest bldg in Uptown.
Good stuff, thanks. That's definitely going to be a good influx of energy into the CBD with even more new residential going into downtown and uptown.

The contrast between DFW and Atlanta/Houston here is that even though all three are currently building multiple 35-45 story residential highrises, DFW is the only one where those are all going into the CBD (of which I tend to count Uptown as a part). Atlanta is building 39- and 36-story residential highrises, but they are both in Buckhead, not downtown Atlanta. They are, however, also planning a 55-story residential tower in Midtown (which, like Uptown Dallas, I tend to treat as part of the CBD). And along with the aforementioned 46-story residential tower downtown, Houston is building a 38-story residential tower in River Oaks and a 36-story one in Montrose.

It's interesting because (generally speaking) DFW is seen as the more decentralized metro when compared with the other two, so there's some irony that the highest-intensity residential development seems to be more centralized there, at least right now. I think all three could support significantly more residential downtown, and high-rise living is going through an upswing in popularity right now, so it will be interesting to see if those trends hold, or if DFW starts seeing more residential highrise outside of the CBD/Uptown (or conversely, if Houston and Atlanta see more residential highrises within their respective central areas).

Another interesting question is how big of an effect does zoning have to where developers choose to build? I'm sure in the case of Dallas and Atlanta, it's much easier to build where areas are already zoned for height rather than fight for a zoning change and deal with the headaches that can cause. In Houston, where stuff gets built is more of a function of demand than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 04:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Both are right on rivers, which often doesn't happen with sunbelt downtowns, and Austin is the only place in the South outside of Miami where people will live downtown in 50 story condos. Don't even see that in Dallas or Houston.
Nashville has a 45 story residential tower already built and occupied with 505 Church Street as well as other towers planned in similar height. Paramount is a proposed tower rising at least 750 feet and 65 stories. Miami and Austin are not unique.

https://urbanland.uli.org/developmen...ntown-density/

Old 11-11-2019, 04:17 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
....Dallas has 2 40+ story residential towers downtown currently under construction(if you count Elmplace it's 50 Stories.

Uptown has 2 40+ story towers under construction(One Office and one Residential).

RESEARCH Dallas before you write it off
I did say that I could be extremely wrong on my end due to my belief of love field being close enough to disallow 50 story residential towers. You did see that part, right? I also said I had to research Dallas as well.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:02 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Good stuff, thanks. That's definitely going to be a good influx of energy into the CBD with even more new residential going into downtown and uptown.

The contrast between DFW and Atlanta/Houston here is that even though all three are currently building multiple 35-45 story residential highrises, DFW is the only one where those are all going into the CBD (of which I tend to count Uptown as a part). Atlanta is building 39- and 36-story residential highrises, but they are both in Buckhead, not downtown Atlanta. They are, however, also planning a 55-story residential tower in Midtown (which, like Uptown Dallas, I tend to treat as part of the CBD). And along with the aforementioned 46-story residential tower downtown, Houston is building a 38-story residential tower in River Oaks and a 36-story one in Montrose.

It's interesting because (generally speaking) DFW is seen as the more decentralized metro when compared with the other two, so there's some irony that the highest-intensity residential development seems to be more centralized there, at least right now. I think all three could support significantly more residential downtown, and high-rise living is going through an upswing in popularity right now, so it will be interesting to see if those trends hold, or if DFW starts seeing more residential highrise outside of the CBD/Uptown (or conversely, if Houston and Atlanta see more residential highrises within their respective central areas).

Another interesting question is how big of an effect does zoning have to where developers choose to build? I'm sure in the case of Dallas and Atlanta, it's much easier to build where areas are already zoned for height rather than fight for a zoning change and deal with the headaches that can cause. In Houston, where stuff gets built is more of a function of demand than anything else.
DFW metroplex is definitely multi-nodal, but Central Dallas is very centralized for the city of Dallas.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:37 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Nashville has a 45 story residential tower already built and occupied with 505 Church Street as well as other towers planned in similar height. Paramount is a proposed tower rising at least 750 feet and 65 stories. Miami and Austin are not unique.

https://urbanland.uli.org/developmen...ntown-density/
True, but Miami and Austin are somewhat unique in that residential towers are starting to dominate their skylines.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:24 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
True, but Miami and Austin are somewhat unique in that residential towers are starting to dominate their skylines.
You're right. I guess I still prefer cities that have a signature tower or towers. At the street level, Miami seemed faster paced, but not by much.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:45 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Atelier on Flora will be 41 floors.

The Victor in Victory Park will be 39 or 40 floors.

There’s a Hillwood office bldg lot that’s fenced off for construction and supposed to be the tallest bldg in Uptown.
Thanks...because i was just about to address the situation.

This is for SPADE..... Elm Place is our 52 story residential tower under construction Downtown.

Last edited by dallasboi; 11-12-2019 at 07:56 PM..

Old 11-12-2019, 08:18 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
You're right. I guess I still prefer cities that have a signature tower or towers. At the street level, Miami seemed faster paced, but not by much.
It did??? Faster paced than what?

Old 11-13-2019, 04:39 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,046,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Thanks...because i was just about to address the situation.

This is for SPADE..... Elm Place is our 52 story residential tower under construction Downtown.
Technically a redevelopment, and there's also a hotel component to that building. But good stuff nonetheless.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:50 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Technically a redevelopment, and there's also a hotel component to that building. But good stuff nonetheless.
The hotel takes up 3 floors out of 52..so its still mostly residential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City