Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Faster pace?
Miami 16 14.16%
Atlanta 29 25.66%
Charlotte 7 6.19%
Dallas 14 12.39%
Houston 11 9.73%
Austin 13 11.50%
Nashville 19 16.81%
Raleigh 0 0%
New Orleans 4 3.54%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 01:09 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times

Advertisements

Fast-paced..?
As much as I don’t particularly care for the region as a whole, it’s hard to argue against Miami. It’s essentially a detached NYC borough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 01:49 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,718 times
Just to be clear, CBD is equivalent to downtown proper.

The busiest part of of commercial/business corridor would suffice here. Too many quibbling over downtown boundaries, I don’t think New Orleans should be disqualified because a lot goes on outside of downtown proper.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:13 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,400,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Just to be clear, CBD is equivalent to downtown proper.

The busiest part of of commercial/business corridor would suffice here. Too many quibbling over downtown boundaries, I don’t think New Orleans should be disqualified because a lot goes on outside of downtown proper.
New Orleans has more historic urbanity than the rest of the south combined. If the topic is something like "urban core", then I have no problem going with New Orleans. It's the CBD in particular that I never found particularly interesting or impressive, so I didn't understand posters hyping up that particular part of New Orleans.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:19 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
New Orleans has more historic urbanity than the rest of the south combined. If the topic is something like "urban core", then I have no problem going with New Orleans. It's the CBD in particular that I never found particularly interesting or impressive, so I didn't understand posters hyping up that particular part of New Orleans.
What do you mean by historic urbanity? Miami, Atlanta, Savannah and Charleston are a apart of the south of ya know. Not combined, but on an individual pound for pound basis, I can see Nola shining here.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:10 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,025,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Austin has one of the biggest universities in the country right next to downtown which makes it more active than the other 2.

Houston has the biggest downtown but the underground tunnels kill street level activity.

Downtown Dallas neighboring areas is where the activity is at.

Austin also had a head start on downtown residential hirises over the other two.

I wouldn't put too much stock on the votes though. New Orleans CBD is leagues better than all of these but it has less votes
Houston is not getting credit for being the only city with a downtown baseball stadium and basketball arena. On the weekends Discovery Green Park is usually packed. All of Houston’s theater venues are downtown - Jones Hall, The Hobby Center, The Wortham, and The Alley Theater - with Post Houston and the Downtown Aquarium nearby and they are also packed on weekends. Now that COVID has slowed down the crowds are returning to all these places.

Don’t judge Houston by it’s office workers downtown- only 50% have returned post-COVID, and that’s about the average for Texas cities.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:19 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,658,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Fast-paced..?
As much as I don’t particularly care for the region as a whole, it’s hard to argue against Miami. It’s essentially a detached NYC borough.
I don't think downtown Miami is fast paced at all. I was there two weeks ago and the downtown area felt the same. Not too many people, relaxed pace, no hustle and bustle. You have one or two spots in Brickell but as a whole, it's still lax and sparse. Austin definitely felt more active/fast paced than Miami, and these are in two states that had minimal covid restrictions.

Old 03-18-2022, 09:29 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Fast-paced..?
Atlanta's CBD appears more overwhelming and faster..

Old 03-18-2022, 10:34 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,400,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I don't think downtown Miami is fast paced at all. I was there two weeks ago and the downtown area felt the same. Not too many people, relaxed pace, no hustle and bustle. You have one or two spots in Brickell but as a whole, it's still lax and sparse. Austin definitely felt more active/fast paced than Miami, and these are in two states that had minimal covid restrictions.
Just because there are no covid restrictions by the state doesn't mean that a huge percentage of people aren't working from home... But regardless of covid, Austin is a really chill place, I don't think it ever feels "hustle and bustle" in the way that an NYC does. It feels more like everyone is on vacation IMO. There are a good number of people out and about even at night and on the weekends, though.

It's been a bit since I spent time in Miami but I'd think it'd easily be more active than Austin outside of an event like SXSW, ACL, or F1.

Old 03-19-2022, 06:43 AM

198 posts, read 261,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Houston is not getting credit for being the only city with a downtown baseball stadium and basketball arena. On the weekends Discovery Green Park is usually packed. All of Houston’s theater venues are downtown - Jones Hall, The Hobby Center, The Wortham, and The Alley Theater - with Post Houston and the Downtown Aquarium nearby and they are also packed on weekends. Now that COVID has slowed down the crowds are returning to all these places.

Don’t judge Houston by it’s office workers downtown- only 50% have returned post-COVID, and that’s about the average for Texas cities.
Charlotte has uptown a triple A stadium, NFL stadium, NBA Arena, performing arts centers, Museums, bars and clubs, street performers, street vendors, high rise apartments, pre Covid over a 100,000 uptown workers plus veterinary for all of the dog owners who parade their dogs on the city side walks and in the uptown parks. It’s walkable and entertaining; a good place to people watch. Not sure if it’s as nice as these other cities but it seems to get the job done for a lot of people as hotels rates and occupancy are high on the weekends.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:13 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post

New Orleans has an NBA arena, NFL stadium, a real aquarium, the CBD borders a real entertainment district, the Joy, Orpheum The Saenger theaters are all there too. And the National WWII museum.
Four streetcar lines and an Amtrak station too.

Every city has stuff downtown, no one is discrediting Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City