Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Faster pace?
Miami 16 14.16%
Atlanta 29 25.66%
Charlotte 7 6.19%
Dallas 14 12.39%
Houston 11 9.73%
Austin 13 11.50%
Nashville 19 16.81%
Raleigh 0 0%
New Orleans 4 3.54%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 11:56 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
OMG it is true. As the Black mecca being key. Is what it is.

Go into the Atlanta forum too and read.... same people will jump on you there if no Atlanta praising. I read not post.....
What does black mecca have to do with a vibrant downtown? The HBCUs aren't downtown. Is Underground Atlanta still shuttered? What new developments have occurred the last 20 years. To me, what's helped by far downtown Atlanta is the growth of Georgia State U.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2022, 04:27 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Good point, I disagree on 6th and Frenchman though.

Speaking of function, Frenchman St is a secondary corridor of entertainment but it's nothing like 6th St. Bourbon and 6th are both the main drags for entertainment in either city. Frenchman is small and not that known outside of the city. Frenchman St is a bit more local but tourists still find their way there, that's not at all the case with 6th St. I really don't understand your view on this.
I'm not talking about which is better, longer, bigger, well known.

Bourbon is a general debauchery area. It's more of a pedestrian mall than a bar spot.

Yes it's the most well known street in New Orleans but again I'm comparing function, not which is the most known.

If someone asks where to go for live music in Austin I would recommend 6th St. If they ask for New Orleans I would recommend Frenchmen St.

If they are asking for all out Debauchery, I would recommend Bourbon. It's an area unique to New Orleans. You are not going to see a topless woman walking down 6th street at 4pm on a Thursday afternoon with an open bottle of liquor in one hand and a joint in the other. 6th and Bourbon are just not the same types of streets.
In terms

Old 03-21-2022, 04:38 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta residents by and large aren't leisurely hanging out in downtown over Midtown either, and the same is pretty much true for suburban/OTP residents apart from Hawks, Falcons, and Atlanta United games. That may change in a few years, but Midtown has held that advantage at least for the past two-three decades or so. Excluding GA State's campus, there are more out-of-towners than locals out and about after hours in downtown seeing as though it caters much more to conventioneers and tourists than Midtown.

While obviously downtown + Midtown together constitute Atlanta's commercial core, Atlanta is still generally characterized as decentralized. Even if it's ginormous city limits are a huge reason for this, Houston is generally perceived as being more centralized than Atlanta.
Is it fair to say that some fast growing 20th century cities that came into their own prior to "the return to city centers" created secondary downtowns rather than improving the downtowns that they already had? It sure feels like that in Atlanta. If you went to midtown and nobody told you that there was also a downtown, you might not even know that it was there.

Old 03-21-2022, 05:04 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
What does black mecca have to do with a vibrant downtown? The HBCUs aren't downtown. Is Underground Atlanta still shuttered? What new developments have occurred the last 20 years. To me, what's helped by far downtown Atlanta is the growth of Georgia State U.
For starters, almost the entire Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd corridor (minus the WOC/aquarium garages and one-story structures).

I agree with you on all other points, but plenty of new developments have come into being in downtown Atlanta over the past 20 years with many being oriented towards visitors (hotels, attractions) and GSU/student-related developments. But there's also been some residential and, of course, the streetcar and Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Centennial Olympic Park and Woodruff Park have also undergone improvements and there have been quite a few adaptive reuse projects completed with several in progress, most notably for south downtown.

Old 03-21-2022, 05:11 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I'm not talking about which is better, longer, bigger, well known.

Bourbon is a general debauchery area. It's more of a pedestrian mall than a bar spot.

Yes it's the most well known street in New Orleans but again I'm comparing function, not which is the most known.

If someone asks where to go for live music in Austin I would recommend 6th St. If they ask for New Orleans I would recommend Frenchmen St.

If they are asking for all out Debauchery, I would recommend Bourbon. It's an area unique to New Orleans. You are not going to see a topless woman walking down 6th street at 4pm on a Thursday afternoon with an open bottle of liquor in one hand and a joint in the other. 6th and Bourbon are just not the same types of streets.
In terms
So I think what's clear is that you simply aren't familiar with 6th street. Have you actually been to Austin? There is very little live music on 6th Street and really hasn't been for at least 20 years. Music is fairly distributed throughout the core but if you had to pick a single street it's easily Red River. The only place on 6th I think of for live music is Hotel Vegas and maybe the Parish. Additionally a topless wasted person is exactly what you'd expect to see on "dirty" sixth street. It has that nickname for a reason. Open containers are only allowed during certain events though.

The #1 YouTube result for "dirty 6th Street":
https://youtu.be/LTkq7veEe5E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City