Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 09:41 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I fixed that for you.

I’m not trying to be petty here, but I don’t consider Texas to be culturally more significant than most other states. Sure they have some specific traits, but that’s more of an identity marker vs being a trendsetter, which California and New York definitely are. Texas is just an overgrown hodgepodge of The South, The Plains, and The Southwest.

California IS the West Coast and New York IS the Northeast. What I mean by that is, if one could afford to do as they please California would be even more populous. The same for New York (really NYC, but it’s still New York) as these places are premier cultural and social destinations.

Texas has too much competition from Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Arizona for it to be the Southern equivalent of the other two.
Sure California is more important than Texas. I dont think there is any debate there. New York could go either way. NYC is the most important city in the country hands down but as a state, I dont know.

But seriously: Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee? How are they even close to matching Texas on a state level? You seem to be trying to make a case for cultural purity and holding the fact that Texas doesnt belong to a specific region against it which is pretty ridiculous to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 03:54 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Sure California is more important than Texas. I dont think there is any debate there. New York could go either way. NYC is the most important city in the country hands down but as a state, I dont know.

But seriously: Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee? How are they even close to matching Texas on a state level? You seem to be trying to make a case for cultural purity and holding the fact that Texas doesnt belong to a specific region against it which is pretty ridiculous to me.
Texas isn’t a destination state like New York or California. It’s exactly like the rest of the sunbelt states that are popular for reasons that don’t include clout. And within the Southern States, they’re all popular for the same reasons.

Where did I lie? Nashville, Miami, Charlotte, Raleigh, Orlando, and Atlanta are just as popular as Houston. Dallas, and Austin. They all are popular with companies for the same reasons people are flocking to them. They’re cheaper (but well established) alternatives to New York and California.

And Texas is not strictly Southern, or Southwestern. So again, where did I lie?

Georgia is 100% Southern.

Also, I noticed you left Florida off your response? Why? Florida is a destination simply for the tax breaks/credits/benefits that being a resident produces.

I’m a proud Southerner but I’m not going to sit here and act like Texas is more of a cultural destination than Georgia or vice versa. And no states match California or New York for culture. Period.

Also... I just reread your comment again? Would you argue that Texas contributes more to Southern culture than Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi or Louisiana? Would you argue that it’s more of a Plains state than Oklahoma? Would you argue that Texas is more of a Southwestern state than Arizona or Nevada? No. But you would say that it does have elements of all of those with some of its own cultural traits, like the lengendary Texas Ranger. That’s specifically Texan. How does that impact the USA on a cultural leve or even on a regional level? It doesn’t.

On April 20th, all across the country folks celebrate 4/20. That is the level of contribution California makes to America culturally. Other than New York, no other state really has more of a contribution than the rest. We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Last edited by isawooty; 11-01-2019 at 04:21 PM..

Old 11-01-2019, 04:20 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I fixed that for you.

I’m not trying to be petty here, but I don’t consider Texas to be culturally more significant than most other states. Sure they have some specific traits, but that’s more of an identity marker vs being a trendsetter, which California and New York definitely are. Texas is just an overgrown hodgepodge of The South, The Plains, and The Southwest.

California IS the West Coast and New York IS the Northeast. What I mean by that is, if one could afford to do as they please California would be even more populous. The same for New York (really NYC, but it’s still New York) as these places are premier cultural and social destinations.

Texas has too much competition from Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Arizona for it to be the Southern equivalent of the other two.
I don't feel, at all, that there's one dominant southern state. Texas is just bigger than the rest.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:37 PM

119 posts, read 139,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I don't feel, at all, that there's one dominant southern state. Texas is just bigger than the rest.
Don't say that to Texans. They'll just jump on you and say, "Texas isn't the South! It's just Texas!" IRL.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:47 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
Quote:
My sentiments exactly in the shortest and most precise summary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
Don't say that to Texans. They'll just jump on you and say, "Texas isn't the South! It's just Texas!" IRL.
They are loyal to their state and it’s really amusing to watch. It’s a wonderful state though, so at least they have something to be legitimately proud of.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:57 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,357,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
Last year's California vs. Texas thread is old news. Even this year, California and Texas have continued to undergo dramatic changes socioculturally, eocnomically, even meteorologically and topographically. These are very arguably our two most culturally and economically important--and, really, most dynamic--states (though New York can make a solid case).

Anyway, let's go! As far as which state is better, what are your thoughts on...

1. Quality of life (affordability, public health, general education and universities)?

2. General safety (violent crime, property crime, feeling of safety, vehicular accidents, natural disasters)?

3. Rural areas and natural scenery (nature preserves, parks, farms, hills, mountains, water)?

4. Urban areas (general urbanity, public transportation, amenities, multiculturalism, "vibes")?

5. Career development (economic growth, economic diversity, pay, benefits, opportunities, human capital)?

6. Culinary (dining, freshness, affordability, diversity)?

7. Physical infrastructure (highways, bridges, rail, airports, seaports)?

8. Social infrastructure ("connected" and walkable old town areas and downtowns, public education, arts, culture)?

9. Politics (general views, leadership, fiscal management, political issues and topics)?

10. Culture and people (acceptability, diversity, open-mindedness, friendliness/"warmth")?

11. Overall location (containing or central to amenities and attractions that you value)?

Where would you rather live overall?

BONUS: What is your favorite city or area in the two states?

Thanks!

NY really can't be considered in the discussion because once you get outside of NYC, the rest of the state is SIGNIFICANTLY different in politics, culture, cost of living and lifestyle. NY is dominated by one city where as in California and Texas, things are more balanced.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:09 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
GDP per capita...neither state is at the top.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...GDP_per_capita

Old 11-01-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
A lot of these are hard to answer if you're looking at the entire states (LA is nothing like Redding is nothing like Eureka is nothing like South Lake Tahoe). So for the purposes of this thread, besides #s 3 and 4, I'll assume we're in a generic major metropolitan area in each state.

1. Quality of life: Depends on the kind of person, but for a generic average US citizen, probably Texas
2. General safety: Texas
3. Rural areas and natural scenery: California and it's not close at all
4. Urban areas: California
5. Career development: Texas unless you're in a creative field (even in tech, I'd say these days Texas is better for your money)
6. Culinary: IDK but California probably has more variety
7. Physical infrastructure: No idea
8. Social infrastructure: California
9. Politics: California but their housing policies are a huge blind spot
10. Culture and people: Hard to say - different, which is better depends on the vibe you're looking for
11. Overall location: California

Where I'd rather live: California, but if I had to move to Texas for a contract project, I can think of worse places to spend a year

Favorite major city in CA: Oakland
Favorite natural area in CA: The far north coast (Del Norte County)
Favorite major city in TX: Houston
Favorite natural area in TX: South TX
1. Quality of life: IMO, if you can get $125K or more and live within 50 miles of the coast, Cali. If not, Texas for sure.
2. General safety: Toss up
3. Rural areas and natural scenery: California and it's not close at all
4. Urban areas: Texas/Cali about even. I've visited a lot and enjoy them both. Cali is more touristy but we are talking every day life.
5. Career development: Very tough as both have lots of Fortune 1000 companies, lots of international trade and big time universities. Cali though has been losing industry and jobs to Texas more than any other state. So Texas wins
6. Culinary: California due to greater variety due to greater diversity. The gap has been narrowed the last 15 years.
7. Physical infrastructure: Texas and not even close the last 20 years. More roadway than any other state. More rail. More airports. The biggest airline in the world and the busiest airline in the U.S are based in TX.
8. Social infrastructure: California due to healthcare safety net.
9. Politics: Texas. California is VERY Homogenous from small town to big city to state. Whereas Texas is more purple. The big metro areas of Dallas, Plano, Houston, San Antonio and Austin/Travis County, El Paso and the border counties all definitely lean blue. The rural areas of west Texas, east Texas, Amarillo, Abilene and Fort Worth/Tarrant county lean Red. The state is trending blue and like California is a Majority-Minority state. In the 2018 state wide elections, the GOP lost a half dozen seats and some major county posts.
10. Culture and people: Hard to say - different, which is better depends on the vibe you're looking for
11. Overall location: Texas. Central Time zone gives you a 4 hour flight time to NYC to the east or S.F to the west. Its 2 1/2 hours or less to Chicago, Miami, Denver, or Atlanta. Amazon has like ten warehouses in D/FW. Being in the Central Time zone is also advantages for telecommunication for anywhere in the Western Hemisphere.

I have family/friends in California from Texas where I live. They love it for weather, scenery and politics. They are worried though about cost of living but not as much as drought and wildfires.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
GDP per capita...neither state is at the top.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...GDP_per_capita
. Electoral college vote growth, Relocation of business trends tells me more than GDP per capita.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:41 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Too much of an "apples to oranges" comparison, and not realistically worth the effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City