Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better overall city
Oklahoma City 24 42.86%
Des Moines 32 57.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 PM

631 posts, read 1,093,700 times

Advertisements

1. Downtown
2. Economy
3. Urbanism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 12:47 PM

264 posts, read 250,400 times
In terms of pound for pound considering Des Moines is half the population metrowise, Des Moines in all 3 categories.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:26 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
. Downtown: Des Moines
2. Economy: Des Moines
3. Urbanism: Des Moines

Des Moines is the winner for me. I like the strong sense of community, arts scene, and more progressive nature.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:28 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Des Moines feels more progressive, than OKC, despite its smaller population.

OKC has a lot of work to do to become a progressive/cosmopolitan city.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:44 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Des Moines feels more progressive, than OKC, despite its smaller population.

OKC has a lot of work to do to become a progressive/cosmopolitan city.
Why does it need to become more progressive or cosmopolitan? Not everywhere needs to be Berkeley or San Francisco

Old 11-12-2019, 05:46 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,457,532 times
Des Moines for me. OKC needs to be matched up against something like Detroit or Stockton for me to choose it.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:59 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Why does it need to become more progressive or cosmopolitan? Not everywhere needs to be Berkeley or San Francisco
I am not sure how you got that from his post. It seems that he implied that OKC is not as progressive, especially among peers. The area leaves a lot to be desired in terms of culture outside of religious conservatism. It is sad that much smaller cities are better performers in this area.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:24 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I am not sure how you got that from his post. It seems that he implied that OKC is not as progressive, especially among peers. The area leaves a lot to be desired in terms of culture outside of religious conservatism. It is sad that much smaller cities are better performers in this area.
I'm a non-conservative atheist and I want to go there. Looks like it is a diverse city with diverse nightlife

Old 11-12-2019, 06:48 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Been to both, OKC has more to do and a bit more interesting, Des Moines and Iowa in general has nice landscapes. In OKC I enjoyed Bricktown, the OKC bombing memorial was thoughtfully done, we rode the streetcar and had a good night out there. It was better than expected and doesn't deserve the scorn it gets on CD.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-12-2019 at 07:10 PM..

Old 11-12-2019, 07:54 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

OKC is a lot better than it used to be. It's the buckle of the Bible Belt but central OKC has actually developed quite it's own liberal counterculture, mostly confined to a few neighborhoods north of downtown. Since the modernization of alcohol laws and legalization of medical marijuana, the city has developed a strong beer culture and weed culture and I appreciate that about it. Outside of those few neighborhoods though, it's MAGA country.

I'd say the nightlife has come a long ways from just a few years ago and now there's more bars/clubs like what you have in other cities. While I'd say living in OKC, the nightlife definitely gets repetitive, at least there's options now. It used to be just sad.

For me, it's the awful weather, tornadoes, lack of any natural beauty in the surrounding area, and overall backwardness of the state that truly make it a bad place to live. I like that Des Moines is an actual progressive city and that the state is purple. Plus, less tornadoes and summers are nice. OKC has bad weather in all four seasons. It's the worst of all climates rolled into one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City