Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 09:42 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
People overblow the heat. From late May through early September you are going to have triple-digit temperatures. For a few weeks you'll have 110s. Only during the most extreme heat waves do you get 120. Also, with almost no humidity, the heat is different. I'd say it's pretty comparable to a Texas summer with temps in the upper 90s/low 100s and 90% humidity.

I agree though, the sprawl of Phoenix is an issue. However, I think it has a lot going for it and I think it's downtown is headed in the right direction.
I lived in Tucson for 7 yrs, and visited Phoenix often. I don't necessarily mind the heat myself, and actually thrive on it as long as I have an AC handy after an hour in it.

Problem is, it's hard on some people. I knew a lot of people who moved there, lasted several years and then moved away.

But, it's still growing quickly, so folks are not that much hating on it, it seems. So, you might be right--if the good paying jobs keep coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 10:45 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I vote Phoenix. There's a lot going on in Phoenix right now. Their downtown is still lagging most of it's peers but there's so much development going on. I think it's going to be a beast in about 3-5 years.
Absolutely not. Suburban sprawl is not impressive as a differentiator when most sunbelt regions are booming with sprawl. I guess the differentiator for [the City of] Phoenix is that the jurisdiction size meant it happened within city boundaries,. Also, growth in Phoenix (metro or city) was not particularly significant this decade compared to past decades (e.g. 90s)

Old 11-15-2019, 11:00 PM

Washington, DC
  • Huge transformation at levels comparable to Seattle/Nashville/Austin, including suburban regions
  • 3 sports championships in the last 4 years
  • Significant national attention due to Obama and Trump, and continued polarization of national politics
  • Significant corporate expansions (Capital One, Amazon, Nestle, etc.)

I think the other contenders just haven't achieved the range of accomplishments other than sheer population growth (notably skylines) and general media overhype.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:16 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,392 times
Definitely Los Angeles. City won the Summer Olympics Bid. Also Got not 1 but 2 NFL teams and also King James. And got the Star Wars museum wig snatched from Chicago and San Fran.

LA is on fyre!

Old 11-15-2019, 11:24 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Definitely Los Angeles. City won the Summer Olympics Bid. Also Got not 1 but 2 NFL teams and also King James. And got the Star Wars museum wig snatched from Chicago and San Fran.

LA is on fyre!
Also experiencing record homelessness and blight. It’s become a huge social issue. That’s why I ruled out every west coast city including my own.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:31 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Nashville I think raised it's profile the most.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Also experiencing record homelessness and blight. It’s become a huge social issue. That’s why I ruled out every west coast city including my own.
Not sure I would rule out a city based on one negative attribute.

I mean, Nashville turned down a plan to completely transform its transportation network and really elevate its status as a major city. In the grand scheme of things, that's a better indication that Nashville hasn't arrived or progressed as much as people think...(beyond new high rises downtown).

Old 11-15-2019, 11:50 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Remember, there has to be multiple important reasons that hit on a national level as well as local.

Austin could make a case... for Filming, Growth, Rise in Popularity, obtaining a world class F1 Track as well a Major League Soccer club, and that rapidly growing skyline. And of course, the tech companies.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:53 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
I would have made a poll, but like I said, I couldn't really think of anything at the moment.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:00 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Washington, DC
  • Huge transformation at levels comparable to Seattle/Nashville/Austin, including suburban regions
  • 3 sports championships in the last 4 years
  • Significant national attention due to Obama and Trump, and continued polarization of national politics
  • Significant corporate expansions (Capital One, Amazon, Nestle, etc.)

I think the other contenders just haven't achieved the range of accomplishments other than sheer population growth (notably skylines) and general media overhype.
Agree with this wholeheartedly, it goes WAY further than skylines. In which btw, the DC suburban skyline is drastically changed this decade, as well as a number of the nations larger transportation infrastructure projects completing in the DC suburbs (Silver Line connecting to IAD), and MD Purple Line (began construction in 2010's). The region is setting itself up for continued decades of economic growth and transit oriented development. Amazon, alone, is the steal of the decade, let alone everything else.

I do admire the growth of the mid-majors taking place like Austin, Nashville, Portland etc, but there's a different scale of how they've changed vs a DC or Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City