Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 02:49 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Arguably, Nashville and Austin have elevated their profile through media hype more than any other city, so if that is the defining criteria, then so be it. There are plenty of cities around the country that have similar or higher levels of growth (Seattle, DC, Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, Houston, Denver, Charlotte), along with far more worthy achievements and accolades than a skyline. Ultimately, Austin and Nashville are still not nationally relevant. They are barely mid-tier regions. Let's focus less on media hype and superficial measures like skylines and more on actual achievements and data.
It's one thing to argue that DC or Seattle is the correct answer here; it's another thing entirely to assert that Nashville and Austin are all hype with very little substance behind the hype. It seems a bit disingenuous to mention all the residential and commercial development in DC's favor, but dismiss all the new additions to the skylines of Austin and Nashville--which also consist of residential and commercial development--as superficial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 03:21 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's one thing to argue that DC or Seattle is the correct answer here; it's another thing entirely to assert that Nashville and Austin are all hype with very little substance behind the hype. It seems a bit disingenuous to mention all the residential and commercial development in DC's favor, but dismiss all the new additions to the skylines of Austin and Nashville--which also consist of residential and commercial development--as superficial.
Except that I've mentioned multiple other reasons beyond construction/growth with regards to DC. Check out my previous posts

And to be clear, Nashville is total hype--care to argue otherwise? Austin has actually made some great strides in improving (or planning to improve) its regional transportation network, attracting major companies, etc.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:08 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Maybe when Nashville and Austin surpass Fresno in population density I"ll start to pay attention.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:58 PM

592 posts, read 591,029 times
Quote:
Except that I've mentioned multiple other reasons beyond construction/growth with regards to DC. Check out my previous posts

And to be clear, Nashville is total hype--care to argue otherwise? Austin has actually made some great strides in improving (or planning to improve) its regional transportation network, attracting major companies, etc.
Can't speak for Austin but while Nashville is severely lacking in public transportation it does have a commuter rail line and the new mayor has made plans to implement a new transportation plan after the one that didn't pass last year. Regarding attracting major companies, here's an general overview off the top of my head all within the past year.

Amazon EOC
Alliance Bernstein corporate headquarters
Ernest and Young
Mitsubishi North American headquarters
ICEE North American headquarters
Many smaller tech companies as well.

Can add adding an MLS team last year and current construction of a billion dollar airport expansion to the list as well.

Suspect Austin's list is even larger.

Last edited by jkc2j; 11-19-2019 at 05:23 PM..

Old 11-19-2019, 05:13 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
No, it’s not disingenuous at all. What’s disingenuous is to place the booming skylines of Nashville and Austin’s downtowns ahead of or equate to either DC or Seattle which have both grown more and added more residents and density. That’s not to mention the expansion of heavy rail, light rail, airports and other infrastructure, as well as the pecking order of where they stand in the US vs a decade ago. This thread isn’t just about who put up the most towers the last 10 years. People here seem not to be realizing that.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I'm sure you did, but in that last post you cited all of the new construction in support of DC, but dismissed the new construction in Austin and Dallas as superficial skyline stuff--as if those skyline additions were just empty buildings.

Quote:
I'm nothing close to being a Nashville booster, but if you think Nashville is "total hype" then you are simply ignorant of facts. There have been several major economic development deals scored by Nashville in recent years; it's easy enough to Google.

For the record, I absolutely do think Seattle or DC are better contestants for "City of the Decade," but you just seemed to be going to the extreme when it came to Austin and Nashville. I don't know why it would be so hard to say something like "Austin and Nashville have certainly made major strides this decade in several areas, but Seattle or DC easily take this one with even more impressive portfolios." Why does it have to be all or nothing?

Old 11-19-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Maybe when Nashville and Austin surpass Fresno in population density I"ll start to pay attention.
Well they are already running circles around Fresno in a couple of categories so obviously population density isn't the grand differentiator here you'd like it to be.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
No, it’s not disingenuous at all. What’s disingenuous is to place the booming skylines of Nashville and Austin’s downtowns ahead of or equate to either DC or Seattle which have both grown more and added more residents and density. That’s not to mention the expansion of heavy rail, light rail, airports and other infrastructure, as well as the pecking order of where they stand in the US vs a decade ago. This thread isn’t just about who put up the most towers the last 10 years. People here seem not to be realizing that.
The two aren't mutually exclusive. Folks on both sides of this debate are acting in bad faith here, but the Austin and Nashville supporters were corrected (which is why I didn't say anything towards that end). That doesn't mean folks get a pass to say outlandish and obviously untrue things about Austin and Nashville. And I'm indifferent towards those cities, but it's childish to completely dismiss the gains they've made simply because Seattle and DC best them.

I don't know why grown folks get in their feelings so easily about this stuff and just abandon all logic and reason seemingly.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:25 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
The two aren't mutually exclusive. Folks on both sides of this debate are acting in bad faith here, but the Austin and Nashville supporters were corrected (which is why I didn't say anything towards that end). That doesn't mean folks get a pass to say outlandish and obviously untrue things about Austin and Nashville. And I'm indifferent towards those cities, but it's childish to completely dismiss the gains they've made simply because Seattle and DC best them.

I don't know why grown folks get in their feelings so easily about this stuff and just abandon all logic and reason seemingly.
Take a look at the beginning of the thread. Austin, Nashville, and Portland were the first cities mentioned here due to being fan favorites. Without a lick of depth into what makes them “winners” of the decade. Where is there resume vs Seattle, DC, LA, or Dallas? Again I’m not talking about who expanded their downtown skyline the most. I’m talking on every level, economy, transit, National/international profile etc etc. Not sure who is making statements that are untrue.

Those mid size metros you’re talking about have all had impressive growth. The point being made here is that there’s levels to this in which Austin and Nashville primarily add up with an expanding skyline the last 10 years.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:58 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Can't speak for Austin but while Nashville is severely lacking in public transportation it does have a commuter rail line and the new mayor has made plans to implement a new transportation plan after the one that didn't pass last year. Regarding attracting major companies, here's an general overview off the top of my head all within the past year.

Amazon EOC
Alliance Bernstein corporate headquarters
Ernest and Young
Mitsubishi North American headquarters
ICEE North American headquarters
Many smaller tech companies as well.

Can add adding an MLS team last year and current construction of a billion dollar airport expansion to the list as well.

Suspect Austin's list is even larger.
For comparison, just two neighborhoods in suburban Arlington County snagged these:
  • Amazon HQ2,
  • Nestlé North America HQ,
  • Boeing (space operations unit and defense unit)
  • Gerber HQ

But again, some other accolades:
  • Three national championships in the span of 18 months.
  • Completing $6.8 billion Silver Line extension by 2020. (Phase 1 has been open since 2014)
  • $1 billion revitalization of Reagan-National underway. BWI and Dulles have spent hundreds of millions in the 2000s/2010s.
  • Completed initial phase of DC streetcar.
  • Started 16-mile Purple Line light rail project
  • Nearly 100% increase in nonstop international overseas destinations from Dulles alone (BWI added some too). Added: Rome, Lisbon, Hong Kong, Tel Aviv, Madrid, Delhi, Casablanca, Edinburgh, Cairo, Lima, San Salvador, Cape Verde, Abu Dhabi, Brussels, Bogota, San José, Accra, Riyadh, Dubai, Doha, Zurich, Addis Adaba
  • Built Audi field soccer stadium.
  • Expanded rail service along NE corridor, including nonstop to NYC. Improved and new service to Virginia.
  • Currently building Frederick Douglas bridge- one of the largest infrastructure projects in DC history.
  • Built multiple new museums: Smithsonian-African American History & Culture, Bible Museum, [new] spy museum
  • Completed the Wharf development, with multiple entertainment venues and a new riverfront.

Okay I'm tired. There's more, but I just can't. Anyways, like I said. DC has seriously stepped up this decade.

Last edited by newgensandiego; 11-19-2019 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City