Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 08:03 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times

Advertisements

So, I did this thread more than 10 years ago (hard to believe I've been on this forum for THAT long) and I wanted to bring it back up.

I gave an array of reasons as to why, say, Miami would be the city of the 80s, San Fran being 2nd, and Seattle would be the city of the 90s, Atlanta being a close 2nd to that.

For this decade, however... I can't think of any. I could make a case for DFW with its growth, sports (Mavericks title with Dirk, Rangers back-to-back World Series fails, TCU's rise, hosting a Super Bowl/Final Four/1st Ever CFP National Championship all within Jerryworld) and national stories which three big ones unfortunately involved police. But that's about it.

Could you think of a "City of the Decade" for the last 10 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 08:38 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
I'd say Austin, Portland, Denver, or Seattle.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:02 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,413,358 times
Default Seattle, Austin maybe Orlando, Tampa ....

Watch out for Florida they are a sleeping giant. If they can diversify away from tourism Florida will be a Beast. Orlando is already on track.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Watch out for Florida they are a sleeping giant. If they can diversify away from tourism Florida will be a Beast. Orlando is already on track.

Right now for many, Florida is one of those awesome to visit but not so much to live kind of places. I love visiting the state but it's never really appealed to me as a place I'd like to live, though I did contemplate moving to Jacksonville at one point. I'd live in Florida if a job was offered to me there but I'd never seek it out. For me, the reasons I wouldn't want to live there is the hurricane risk and also the bugs and humidity.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:20 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,458,372 times
For 2010-2019, I'd say Austin first, Seattle second.

For 2020-2029, I'd say Nashville or Denver first, tbd second. Could be Salt Lake City, Phoenix, or another unnamed city.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
For 2010-2019, I'd say Austin first, Seattle second.

For 2020-2029, I'd say Nashville or Denver first, tbd second. Could be Salt Lake City, Phoenix, or another unnamed city.

I vote Phoenix. There's a lot going on in Phoenix right now. Their downtown is still lagging most of it's peers but there's so much development going on. I think it's going to be a beast in about 3-5 years.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:23 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I vote Phoenix. There's a lot going on in Phoenix right now. Their downtown is still lagging most of it's peers but there's so much development going on.
There’s lots of development everywhere. Nothing going on in Phoenix warrants city of the decade.

My vote is Denver

Old 11-15-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
There’s lots of development everywhere. Nothing going on in Phoenix warrants city of the decade.

My vote is Denver

Definitely not the 2010s, but I think next decade it will really take off. I agree that for the 2010s, Denver is a top contender. I'd say Austin and Portland are up there with it.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:29 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I vote Phoenix. There's a lot going on in Phoenix right now. Their downtown is still lagging most of it's peers but there's so much development going on. I think it's going to be a beast in about 3-5 years.
It may be, yeah. The thing with Phoenix is it has a big and growing population, but it is so sprawled everywhere that the downtown has suffered for decades with minimal growth. I know it currently has a few things being developed/under construction, but I don't know if this is enough to make it a magnet for high paying jobs/boom town.

Add in the crazy 9 month summers LOL, and it can be tough on some folks. I've always rooted for Phoenix though, and would love to see it become dense and add about 5-7 towers downtown over 500 feet.

I do love the rail they've added though--really necessary for a massive city its size.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
It may be, yeah. The thing with Phoenix is it has a big and growing population, but it is so sprawled everywhere that the downtown has suffered for decades with minimal growth. I know it currently has a few things being developed/under construction, but I don't know if this is enough to make it a magnet for high paying jobs/boom town.

Add in the crazy 9 month summers LOL, and it can be tough on some folks. I've always rooted for Phoenix though, and would love to see it become dense and add about 5-7 towers downtown over 500 feet.

I do love the rail they've added though--really necessary for a massive city its size.
People overblow the heat. From late May through early September you are going to have triple-digit temperatures. For a few weeks you'll have 110s. Only during the most extreme heat waves do you get 120. Also, with almost no humidity, the heat is different. I'd say it's pretty comparable to a Texas summer with temps in the upper 90s/low 100s and 90% humidity.

I agree though, the sprawl of Phoenix is an issue. However, I think it has a lot going for it and I think it's downtown is headed in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City