Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2019, 08:26 AM

75 posts, read 64,711 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at comparing cities in eastern states like GA, SC, NC, TN, VA, PA, AL.
I know that's a lot so I'll try to narrow it down...

Nashville and Chattanooga TN
Charlotte and the Research Triangle, NC
Greenville, SC
Pittsburgh, PA
Huntsville, AL
Atlanta, GA
Richmond and Roanoke VA

That's still a lot so I dont expect anyone to cover them all in one post.

Here are the comparisons

Cost of Living:
Culture:
Job market/Economy:
Nature and outdoor activities:
Weather:

So I'm looking for a good mix of lower cost of living, booming job market (mainly IT), outdoor activities(mountains>beach), some snow but not a long winter, and for culture I prefer laid back, friendly, and diversity.

I hope this isnt flagged as a duplicate post. I've narrowed things down to the east cost and want to rule out some cities. I'm thinking Huntsville may not fit me culturally, Pittsburgh may be too cold, Nashville high CoL, etc. I'm leaning towards Charlotte being a good place with Atlanta, Research Triangle, and the smaller cities like Greenville and Chattanooga coming 2nd.

Also fyi, I'm ok with Mountains being a weekend trip thing. I'm aware that some of places listed are 1-3 hours away from the best parts of the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 10:56 AM

9,706 posts, read 9,458,647 times
Cost of Living: Chattanooga
Culture: Nashville, Atlanta
Job market/Economy: Atlanta is the most diverse, Nashville is the fastest growing.
Nature and outdoor activities: Pittsburgh, Nashville, Atlanta, Greenville
Weather: Greenville

You cannot go wrong with any of these cities, with the exception of inner city Richmond for crime. You mentioned Nashville may be too high CoL, but not so much if you are ok with the suburbs. Same for Atlanta. Chattanooga wins for being able to live affordably in an urban environment. However, the metro area and outskirts are poor and drug prone. Greenville is like taking the best of Chattanooga (downtown) and the best of Knoxville (metro area) and combining them together. Huntsville is nicer than Chattanooga and has a fast growing economy, but lacks urban character and is a bit more conservative. Huntsville and Chattanooga are equidistant to Nashville, if you need more of a city environment. As a young person, I would consider these things:

Can I afford to own my home and work relatively close by?

Does the area offer a high quality of life and low cost of living?

Is the area safe and not run down or crime ridden?

Old 11-23-2019, 06:14 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,784,294 times
you've got a group - Raleigh/Nashville/Richmond/, and a bunch of outliers. Given that, I'd visit all 3 of the peer group and see what you like better.

Old 11-23-2019, 06:24 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,552,437 times
Cost of Living: Charlotte (larger), Roanoke (smaller)
Culture: A little subjective, so I'll skip
Job market/Economy: Charlotte/Atlanta/Nashville/Raleigh (tie - too close to call - larger), Greenville/Huntsville (smaller)
Nature and outdoor activities:Atlanta/Charlotte (larger), Greenville/Roanoke (smaller). You really can find some nice outdoor things to do in all of them.
Weather: Hmm, for me personally, Charlotte (larger), Roanoke (smaller). They seem to have the better balance of summer, winter, fall, and spring.

They're all actually good areas. In some cases, it's like splitting hairs.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:42 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,102,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Cost of Living: Charlotte (larger), Roanoke (smaller)
Culture: A little subjective, so I'll skip
Job market/Economy: Charlotte/Atlanta/Nashville/Raleigh (tie - too close to call - larger), Greenville/Huntsville (smaller)
Nature and outdoor activities:Atlanta/Charlotte (larger), Greenville/Roanoke (smaller). You really can find some nice outdoor things to do in all of them.
Weather: Hmm, for me personally, Charlotte (larger), Roanoke (smaller). They seem to have the better balance of summer, winter, fall, and spring.

They're all actually good areas. In some cases, it's like splitting hairs.
COL may actually go to Pittsburgh. I'm also surprised that you omitted Pittsburgh in the nature/outdoor activities category when it most likely takes that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City