Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities over 100k, has a ton of potential and attractions that the public may not be a
Rochester, NY 10 9.26%
Cleveland, OH 27 25.00%
Greensboro, NC 13 12.04%
Detroit, MI 27 25.00%
Memphis, TN 14 12.96%
St Louis, MO 16 14.81%
Baton Rouge, LA 2 1.85%
Jackson, MS 2 1.85%
Birmingham, AL 15 13.89%
El Paso, TX 6 5.56%
Albuquerque, NM 11 10.19%
Fairbanks, AK 3 2.78%
Dayton, OH 10 9.26%
St Paul, MN 8 7.41%
Fort Worth, TX 17 15.74%
Worcester, MA 5 4.63%
Stamford, CT 3 2.78%
Newark, NJ 6 5.56%
Richmond, VA 11 10.19%
Ft Wayne, IN 4 3.70%
Sacramento, CA 19 17.59%
Tucson, AZ 8 7.41%
Jacksonville, FL 17 15.74%
Other City 13 12.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 11:25 AM

617 posts, read 551,852 times

Advertisements

My vote goes to Greensboro, NC. Really, the whole triad (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) should be in the top 5. A CSA of 1.6 million that many don't even know much about or how they seem to be hitting their strides now when it comes to economic development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 12:08 PM

475 posts, read 684,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
My vote goes to Greensboro, NC. Really, the whole triad (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) should be in the top 5. A CSA of 1.6 million that many don't even know much about or how they seem to be hitting their strides now when it comes to economic development.
Agreed.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:30 PM

264 posts, read 250,183 times
I already stated KCMO where I live for obvious reasons. A lot of things to love about the city but having "Kansas" in the name is a setback in its national reputation, because most of the amenities are not in Kansas. "Kansas" also brings up stereotypes such as Wizard of Oz, flat cornfields, boringness in general. Not that Missouri has great connotations associated with it either.

Of the cities on this list: Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, and Richmond. First 3 are painted as crime ridden cities but they all have a lot to offer. Richmond is just underrated overall.

Can't believe Atlanta is in this discussion though.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:01 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I would say Houston and Charlotte are two that could use a push. Both are major metro and are dominant in their states. Likewise, to most Americans they are also not known for much of anything other than being major cities. If pushed someone might say NASA and NASCAR. Neither of these identity markers alone are catalyst for tourism growth.
The premise is that these cities actually have a decent offering of good attractions. Neither Charlotte nor Houston have remarkable attractions. NASA is cool (been twice) and Charlotte's white-water rafting center is unique, but overall both of these regions are pretty underwhelming from a tourism perspective. Surrounding landscape is relatively unimpressive too.

I would never recommend either city to an international tourist and they'd be very far down the list of trips for domestic tourists. I don't even think they'd make my top 30 trips.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:05 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
I'd categorize this topic....PR would help cities for different reasons.

1. Some aren't on the radar much, but should be. Providence, Hartford, Norfolk, Columbus, Albuquerque, Grand Rapids, Rochester, Sacramento, Birmingham, Tampa, etc. PR would establish a greater presence.

2. Some are on the radar but it's overly negative. Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis. Positive stories would help shift this. Maybe even some that don't try to contrast positive aspects with the well-known problems...it doesn't have to be all about rebirth.

3. Some have more nuanced profiles but highlighting less-known aspects would help. Seattle generally isn't raining, Atlanta has urban parts, Pittsburgh has tech and hiking, etc.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:11 PM

1,013 posts, read 911,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
I really like that area been many times it’s clean and beautiful. I think it doesn’t need a push it’s perfect like it is who wants everyone moving in?

Old 12-02-2019, 04:19 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
I really like that area been many times it’s clean and beautiful. I think it doesn’t need a push it’s perfect like it is who wants everyone moving in?
It is a great area. Hipsters stay out lol.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:44 PM

617 posts, read 551,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Yes true, but it’s sandwiched between 2 high growth areas that are quickly rising in COL whereas the triad’s COL is cheaper and yet it still has the amenities you would find in a million plus metro. (Decent shopping, entertainment, concerts and shows etc) I think the writing is on the wall and sooner than later it will be “discovered”.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:23 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Albuquerque! I think the city should use the film industry moving in to it's advantage.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:19 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
The premise is that these cities actually have a decent offering of good attractions. Neither Charlotte nor Houston have remarkable attractions. NASA is cool (been twice) and Charlotte's white-water rafting center is unique, but overall both of these regions are pretty underwhelming from a tourism perspective. Surrounding landscape is relatively unimpressive too.

I would never recommend either city to an international tourist and they'd be very far down the list of trips for domestic tourists. I don't even think they'd make my top 30 trips.
There is nothing impressive about the Orlando landscape yet it's the biggest tourist destination in the country and one of the top in the world. Houston is on another level than Charlotte. The problem with Houston is it developed its coastline with refiniries rather than highrises and homes on the water. It can become a better tourist city with redevelopment and better transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City