Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities over 100k, has a ton of potential and attractions that the public may not be a
Rochester, NY 10 9.26%
Cleveland, OH 27 25.00%
Greensboro, NC 13 12.04%
Detroit, MI 27 25.00%
Memphis, TN 14 12.96%
St Louis, MO 16 14.81%
Baton Rouge, LA 2 1.85%
Jackson, MS 2 1.85%
Birmingham, AL 15 13.89%
El Paso, TX 6 5.56%
Albuquerque, NM 11 10.19%
Fairbanks, AK 3 2.78%
Dayton, OH 10 9.26%
St Paul, MN 8 7.41%
Fort Worth, TX 17 15.74%
Worcester, MA 5 4.63%
Stamford, CT 3 2.78%
Newark, NJ 6 5.56%
Richmond, VA 11 10.19%
Ft Wayne, IN 4 3.70%
Sacramento, CA 19 17.59%
Tucson, AZ 8 7.41%
Jacksonville, FL 17 15.74%
Other City 13 12.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 09:41 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times

Advertisements

Boise. It's got the "weird" bars and restaurants you see in Austin or Portland, a large university, and the downtown area is very walkable.

St. Louis. Excellent history, Central West End, Forest Park, Delmar Loop, I left wanting to do more and I didn't even make it up the Arch.

Memphis. The real birthplace of Rock N'Roll, and outstanding music museums all over plus in the nearby Mississippi Delta. One benefit it could market would be none of the bachelorette parties that have invaded Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 10:34 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
It’s still a bad answer. Atlanta is one of the most marketed, branded, well-known cities in the country with great publicity (aside from traffic). Even your one idea for boosting its branding is an already well-used nickname that you want to make the most well-used nickname. People think Mad Max was filmed in Detroit, but yes, Atlanta needs a bit more branding to cover what the Olympics, Hollywood, and the music industry haven’t covered. Maybe then Atlanta can finally start to attract new residents.
Heel,

Atlanta is not a bad answer. And that’s ok.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:00 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Heel,

New York City could use some branding on its historical significance (Washington’s first inauguration, Grant’s Tomb).

Old 12-01-2019, 12:27 PM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Heel,

Here's the OP:

Quote:
Marketing and Branding is a large part of a city image.

Advertising a city's area attractions is a huge part of tourism growth, good perception to those who have not visited the city, and can even lead to company relocation and population growth, if done well.

Which of these cities over 100k, has a ton of potential and attractions that the public may not be aware of, outside of that city metro area?
The reason you're getting pushback on your assertion stems from the passage I boldfaced.

It seems to many of us - well, to me at least - that Atlanta's attractions, charms and strengths are quite well known: World of Coca-Cola. CNN Center. Martin Luther King's home and legacy. Stone Mountain. "Sweet Auburn." Tyler Perry turning it into the Hollywood of the Deep South. Underground Atlanta, though that seems to have faded as a draw.

And I've left a few of them off the list. In light of all that, saying it needs to be marketed for its forested setting seems like either gilding the lily or unnecessary.

Quote:
New York City could use some branding on its historical significance (Washington’s first inauguration, Grant’s Tomb).
Point somewhat taken, but New York's role in the birth of the nation was actually pretty trivial. Washington getting sworn in as President was pretty much it. And once the British seized it, not much was done to take it back while the action shifted to the south and north of the city.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Here's the OP:

a ton of potential and attractions that the public may not be aware of, outside of that city metro area?

The reason you're getting pushback on your assertion stems from the passage I boldfaced.

It seems to many of us - well, to me at least - that Atlanta's attractions, charms and strengths are quite well known: World of Coca-Cola. CNN Center. Martin Luther King's home and legacy. Stone Mountain. "Sweet Auburn." Tyler Perry turning it into the Hollywood of the Deep South. Underground Atlanta, though that seems to have faded as a draw.

The bolded part you highlighted is exactly why "Atlanta branding" belongs in this thread.

The pushback is due to obtuse thinking.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:43 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Atlantan's still seek more recognition as a premier US city that's World Class. These locals posting are basically saying that. But they are not being specific a to why Atlanta should have been on this list?

Really, the busiest in passenger #'s airport is generally known..... at least on C-D. Olympics is a bit too long ago to use. CNN. But would not be surprised at a merger with another in the future? Even to another city, largest Aquarium.

Atlantan's in C-D. See they get downplayed more then they feel their arrival has come. But do they really see this list of smaller metro's and rust-belt cities etc.? As Atlanta metro really should be on this list? Being a fast growing Sunbelt city yet.
Ft Worth is in the shadow of Dallas. St Pail of Minneapolis, El Paso so many other Texas state cities ..... etc. also.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:26 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
I guess I just don’t know to what end would Atlanta need marketing? They are a global economic powerhouse with a strong pull for migration. I don’t know what more exactly needs to be accomplished with marketing.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I guess I just don’t know to what end would Atlanta need marketing? They are a global economic powerhouse with a strong pull for migration. I don’t know what more exactly needs to be accomplished with marketing.

The beauty, the tranquility, the eco-friendliness, the true-emerald-city-ness that comes with being...

the city in a forest

Old 12-01-2019, 03:51 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
The beauty, the tranquility, the eco-friendliness, the true-emerald-city-ness that comes with being...

the city in a forest
You guys already have all the hype, marketing, numbers, love and praise. Y'all don't know good you have it, switch places with cities that don't get the migration or love that Atlanta gets and come back to talk.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:59 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
That's why I didn't include Atlanta in the poll. I think Atlanta is amongst the most heavily visited cities in the US for tourism.

Atlanta does a terrific job of marketing/branding itself. There are tons of things to do there and I don't think it's really an unknown city, overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City