Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: South Dallas suburbs vs South Atlanta suburbs
South Dallas suburbs 36 44.44%
South Atlanta suburbs 45 55.56%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 04:13 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
No I get that.As far as jobs go there are better ones that dont have such a negative impact on roads and take up so much space but in absence of anything else ,these jobs are good.I guess im just saying as an industry,its major impact on the economy of the area.
My cousin makes very good money working in logistics as he works at a company with its headquarters there.He has a white collar job in a blue collar industry.

So what are the major economic engines of South Dallas?Any major attractions,universities,etc?
Lockheed has a division headquarters in Grand Prairie, which is in South Dallas area. The sports stadiums/entertainment complex in Arlington I'd imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 05:29 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The land for Pinewood Forest was purchased during the great recession and like many developments around the metro area, stalled due to lending, demand, and other factors. The owner actually tried to sell it to investors / banks and couldn't so it remained vacant until they were able to obtain the financing to build what you see now which happened within the last three years.

If you Google map Sandy Creek Rd in Fayetteville, it will show you an un-updated 2016 image of what that area was, literally nothing there. Between 17 and 18 foundations started appearing with along with the round abouts you see on Sandy Creek Rd where eventually slabs and construction took place.

If Pinewood Forest had developed in N.Atlanta metro rather than S.Atlanta metro, it would have exploded much sooner as it would not have been solely reliant on the affluent filming population but the mass affluent population in N.Metro Atlanta. I do get that it was intended for the filming studios but it would have been much easier to obtain financing as it would have more access to affluent clientele (which they are currently doing anyway right now) than just filming. The one advantage it's current location does give it however is easier access to the Airport than you get in N.Metro Atlanta.

As for logistics, I'm well aware. My father is a truck driver based in Atlanta. There are plenty of logistical companies down there but I do not consider that to be affluent but basically blue collar workforce. It's great jobs dont mistake me but it doesnt necessarily make it stand out IMO and only a few of those can support strong enough salaries to live in places like Pinewood Forest.
Well yeh no doubt thats a given in the Northside. but I think there is something at the moment where the Southside is about to take off.As one mentioned earlier with that Aerotropolis development and other projects.I mean you have a company like Porsche that moved their headquarters there.

I think whats happening on the Southside of Atlanta is that all economic engines like the airport ,logistics services,filming etc have never been used to leverage more development where people would want to live there. Lack of amenities such as housing ,but as more companies expand and move in the area,more housing and retail will
Look at the Camp Creek area of East Point.The area continues to attract more development. They never expected that area to be so successful.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:45 AM

140 posts, read 141,313 times
Quote:
No I get that.As far as jobs go there are better ones that dont have such a negative impact on roads and take up so much space but in absence of anything else ,these jobs are good.I guess im just saying as an industry,its major impact on the economy of the area.
My cousin makes very good money working in logistics as he works at a company with its headquarters there.He has a white collar job in a blue collar industry.

So what are the major economic engines of South Dallas?Any major attractions,universities,etc?
The Metroplex probably has more retail per capita than any other area and that would be the major job provider on the Southside followed by distribution, transportation Healthcare, and call centers

Old 12-21-2019, 03:01 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Great article about an Atlanta businessman investing in the South Dallas suburbs: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/comm...uthern-dallas/

Old 12-21-2019, 06:04 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Great article about an Atlanta businessman investing in the South Dallas suburbs: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/comm...uthern-dallas/
Minor clarification: The RedBird Mall area is located in southwest Dallas proper, not the southern suburbs.

Nonetheless, great article and a praiseworthy nod to them for investing in an area that's often overlooked.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Chime did the same thing on the South of Atlanta in Clayton County at Southlake Mall. That mall I think would have been a closed eyesore but now several retailers including H&M ,Express ,Forever 21 and several others

Old 12-29-2019, 06:34 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Thanks for this Mute. A very well written political rhetoric free article.

Old 12-29-2019, 06:36 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Chime did the same thing on the South of Atlanta in Clayton County at Southlake Mall. That mall I think would have been a closed eyesore but now several retailers including H&M ,Express ,Forever 21 and several others
Lol, I love that area. I visit Nubian Books everytime I am in town. My significant other refuses to go back into the Burlington because it scared him lol. He said it looked like third world country...

Old 12-29-2019, 06:43 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Lol, I love that area. I visit Nubian Books everytime I am in town. My significant other refuses to go back into the Burlington because it scared him lol. He said it looked like third world country...
That Burlington looks like a thrift store. Southlake has really went downhill.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
??LOL Third world?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City