Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: South Dallas suburbs vs South Atlanta suburbs
South Dallas suburbs 36 44.44%
South Atlanta suburbs 45 55.56%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 03:44 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You didn't answer my question. The North Atlanta 'burbs are a really affluent place. I don't see anything remotely like that south of Atlanta and an unsubstantiated "South Metro Atlanta is a jewel" is not a useful response. I don't see the towns with the median household income to support the amenities and school system. Peachtree City looks to be about it and it's only 35,000 people. Median household income doesn't even break $100K according to current Census estimates.

What was your question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 04:28 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Quote:
Is the population density of those people high enough to get the Whole Foods-level amenities? North of Atlanta is major metro affluent 'burbs with all the trappings if your Ferrari, Bentley, or Lamborghini breaks down. All my Atlanta business trips have been to tech in those burbs or some trade show at the convention center. All I've ever seen south of Atlanta is the downtrodden areas around the airport.
I honestly don’t even have the perseverance to fight this nonsense anymore.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:39 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
You didn't answer my question. The North Atlanta 'burbs are a really affluent place. I don't see anything remotely like that south of Atlanta and an unsubstantiated "South Metro Atlanta is a jewel" is not a useful response. I don't see the towns with the median household income to support the amenities and school system. Peachtree City looks to be about it and it's only 35,000 people. Median household income doesn't even break $100K according to current Census estimates.
Im confused. Are you saying that there cant be good schools and amenities unless its over $100,000 median incomes average?
I just did a quick Google and found a shopping center in PTC thats mostly upscale shops.
https://www.avenuepeachtreecity.com/Directory/

I also Google the best high schools in Cedar Hill and PTC and PTC ranks in the top 20 in GA with a score of over 96 percent .Cedar Hill ranks !2,000 in the US and ranks at 27%
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...gh-school-5892

Where are all the videos and data that support what you say is right and the Atlanta people are wrong.I admit I dont know as much about Dallas suburbs in the South but I havent seen anyone post any facts or pictures other than the one video of Cedar Hill which was like many communities in any large metro.

The Atlanta Airport is hard to beat as an economic generator and not to mention a major film studio

Old 12-03-2019, 07:45 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Im confused. Are you saying that there cant be good schools and amenities unless its over $100,000 median incomes average?
I just did a quick Google and found a shopping center in PTC thats mostly upscale shops.
https://www.avenuepeachtreecity.com/Directory/

I also Google the best high schools in Cedar Hill and PTC and PTC ranks in the top 20 in GA with a score of over 96 percent .Cedar Hill ranks !2,000 in the US and ranks at 27%
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...gh-school-5892

Where are all the videos and data that support what you say is right and the Atlanta people are wrong.I admit I dont know as much about Dallas suburbs in the South but I havent seen anyone post any facts or pictures other than the one video of Cedar Hill which was like many communities in any large metro.

The Atlanta Airport is hard to beat as an economic generator and not to mention a major film studio

The wealthiest suburb south of Dallas is Mansfield, TX with a median income of $94,035. Mansfield ISD is one of the best public ISD’s in the state.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/mansfieldcitytexas

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/mansfiel...l-district-tx/

Old 12-03-2019, 07:52 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
The southern ends of the larger burbs are very nice as well, but their numbers are skewed being parts of larger cities such as Arlington or even Grand Prairie. Arlington is around 400k in 100 sq miles, which is not much smaller than the size and population of the city of Atlanta.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:23 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Yea. The discussion is ATL and DFW.

But I don’t think South DFW burbs like Mansfield, Cedar Hill, South Grand Prairie, South Arlington, etc. are any different from the quality of suburbs in South ATL like PTC, Newman, etc.
Nah South Arlington is mostly a dump. South GP and Mansfield are comparable to Newnan, Stonebridge, and Tucker though.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:50 AM

I guess I was judged South Arlington based on the amount of growth along I-20.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:57 AM

140 posts, read 141,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I guess I was judged South Arlington based on the amount of growth along I-20.
Southwest Arlington is nice but Southeast, not so much. Some of the suburbs in this area are large enough to have alot diversity and different neighborhoods like you would find in a stand-alone City

Last edited by true_wu; 12-04-2019 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: More info

Old 12-04-2019, 10:19 AM

Yea, I had pointed that out.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:31 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
We first need to truly define the two areas we are talking about/ measuring. If we are talking South Dallas, Atlanta probably handily wins, their is only about 400,000 people South of Dallas (Ennis County+Best SW). But South of DFW their's easily 1,000,000 (I got slightly less than 550,000 taking South Arlington, Mansfield, South Grand Praire, Johnson County, South Tarrant (Outside Places already mentioned). What's crazy is that South Tarant+Johnson County because of Arlington+Mansfield+Burleson is even more populated than the other half of Dallas. It just shows how much Dallas and the Dallas side specifically of the DFW lean north.

Atlanta is much easier to calculate as Fulton(outside of Milton+John's Creek+Atlanta+Roswell+Alpharetta+Sandy Springs)+Clayton+Fayette+Spalding+Henry and Coweta. (I'm not familiar with ATL but doe SE DeKalb count as South Atlanta?
I find roughly 960,000 people in this area, or essentially the same population as Southern DFW. This makes this just on an area perspective a great comparison although it seems to me that South DFW is more dense than this region overall as Texas sprawlburbia tends to be significantly denser than Atlanta's especially in SE Arlington region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City