Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: South Dallas suburbs vs South Atlanta suburbs
South Dallas suburbs 36 44.44%
South Atlanta suburbs 45 55.56%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 11:11 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,018,631 times

Advertisements

I personally never saw anything special about Fayetteville (city), Atleast - not enough to contend to the northern suburbs of either city. The annual household income of Fayetteville (city) is only at the national average and also has a relatively low population of aprox 17k citizens. Infact the average income per person in Fayetteville is only $29k annually even with developments such as Pinewood Forest (which is a relatively small node in the grand scheme of things of which was also delayed in conception by ten years due to the great recession and arguably, its location as well given it is catered to a limited niche) considered. I'm failing to see how this is considered ground breaking. Its a cool niche don't get me wrong but in the grand economic outlook it doesn't have enough weight to carry the entire S.Metro region..and both regions have fairly affluent nodes scattered between them.

Fayette County is bolstered by Peachtree City which is where the mass affluent in S.Atlanta housing aprox 32k citizens and has a fair household income of about $82k annually but once again you're restricted to the niche of aerotech and filming. There are other nodes but are relatively small in size and don't offer enough in the way of mass employment amenities or even mass shopping amenities. My argument never had anything to do with which city (DFW or ATL) was more desirable, but in comparison to their northern suburbs how lopsided both entities are in what they ultimately have to offer to the mass affluent population.

Henry and Cowetta GA have similar incomes comparable to the national average but are only local to logistical hubs / freight distributions.

For the mass affluent of either city - both regions suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 12:49 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
They both leave a lot to be desired. They both lack decent shopping/restaurants, they're death traps for college educated professionals and theuy're eiyher high crime/high poverty or uber-conservative.

On one hand, I want to give a slight edge South Atlanta suburbs because of proximity to the Airport and natural beauty. On the other hand, the South Dallas suburbs ate growing relatively faster, aren't being overrun with distribution centers and are really about to explode with development. Waxahachie is in the permit phase for a 10,000 home master-planned community (equivalent intense growth/development isn't happening South of Atlanta).

People are raving about PTC, but it's not my cup of tea. It's basically a retirement village to me.

As of now,

*Waxahachie is Dallas's equivalent to Newnan
*Mansfield is Dallas' equivalent to PTC
*Midlothian is Dallas' equivalent to Fayetteville
*The Duncanvilles and Desotos are Dallas' equivalent to South Fulton and Clayton County.
About that Waxahachie #mory Lakes development:
“This project is going to take 30, 35, 40 years,” project planner Aaron Duncan said. “It’s how we accommodate that growth.”
So basically this sounds like a PTC that hasnt broken ground yet
I agree with you about PTC (nothing exciting about it )but its hardly a retirement community and it is still growing.

As stated earlier,it seems South Atlanta has a more diverse economy despite having a large number of distribution related facilities.
I mean with companies like Delta,Porsche NA, the airport with over 63,000 people working there as well as Pinewood Studios which is the largest production studio in the US ,I havent seen anything in particular mentioned that would lead one to think South Dallas had the upper hand

One other thing when it comes to these comparisons is that TX cities land areas are very large.
Ducncaviles and Desotos are cities that are at least twice as large land area wise.

McDonough shouldnt be ignored as its the largest city on the South of Atlanta after the city of South Fulton.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
It's not just popuation density, but also the ability to staff these stores.

Fayette County has by-far the oldest population in all of Metro Atlanta. Those folks (retirees, empty nesters, active adults, etc.) aren't looking to work as cashiers, baggers and butchers at a grocery store.

In the northern Atlanta suburbs, you have a ton of young couples with children who will be looking for these type of jobs to earn money during the Summer or after school.

Thar being said, part of it too is getting developers, landowners and local leaders to actively petition these stores to open locations in their communities. For all we know, the people at Whole Foods HQ might have never heard of PTC and Newnan because they're slowly growing compared to the explosive northern suburbs. And even if they did, are there any retail developers with the space available that want to lease to Whole Foods? Coweta County for example hasn't seen any new commercial shopping centers built since before the recession.
As stated earlier there are Sprouts stores in that area.Not whole foods but it is a competitor.
Also someone posted a link and video to a massive develpoment with new homes in retail next to Pinewood studios.I drove by that area when I was there for thanksgiving and will be back to visit family again for Christmas.All upscale master planned community not far from downtown Fayetteville.
The studio has brought and is bringing those families with children as well as young professionals
https://atlanta.curbed.com/atlanta-p...ille-mixed-use

Old 12-11-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I personally never saw anything special about Fayetteville (city), Atleast - not enough to contend to the northern suburbs of either city. The annual household income of Fayetteville (city) is only at the national average and also has a relatively low population of aprox 17k citizens. Infact the average income per person in Fayetteville is only $29k annually even with developments such as Pinewood Forest (which is a relatively small node in the grand scheme of things of which was also delayed in conception by ten years due to the great recession and arguably, its location as well given it is catered to a limited niche) considered. I'm failing to see how this is considered ground breaking. Its a cool niche don't get me wrong but in the grand economic outlook it doesn't have enough weight to carry the entire S.Metro region..and both regions have fairly affluent nodes scattered between them.

Fayette County is bolstered by Peachtree City which is where the mass affluent in S.Atlanta housing aprox 32k citizens and has a fair household income of about $82k annually but once again you're restricted to the niche of aerotech and filming. There are other nodes but are relatively small in size and don't offer enough in the way of mass employment amenities or even mass shopping amenities. My argument never had anything to do with which city (DFW or ATL) was more desirable, but in comparison to their northern suburbs how lopsided both entities are in what they ultimately have to offer to the mass affluent population.

Henry and Cowetta GA have similar incomes comparable to the national average but are only local to logistical hubs / freight distributions.

For the mass affluent of either city - both regions suffer.
What do you mean delayed by 10 years?I thought this was a new development to compliment Pinewood Studios which itself is only maybe 5 years old.
Also logistics is also a major industry where people are employed.My cousin works for a German Shipping/freight company with its American headquarters in East Point.He met his wife there who is German

Old 12-11-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Clayton and Fayette counties border each other but couldn’t be more different. Clayton is the most crime ridden county in the state (though Dougherty could probably give it a run for its money.) and Fayette is the second most affluent. Likewise Clayton is heavily Democratic while Fayette is GOP territory.
I just looked that up and its actually not even close.Doughtery has double the amount of violent crime. There are at least 20 counties with a higher rate than Clayton including Dekalb and Fulton.
https://www.countyhealthrankings.org...factors/43/map
Another thing that stood out in this map is graduation rates. Fayette County has the highest in the metro at 92% after Forsythe at 94%

Old 12-11-2019, 04:33 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
What do you mean delayed by 10 years?I thought this was a new development to compliment Pinewood Studios which itself is only maybe 5 years old.
There were a ton of massive developments planned on Atlanta's Southside pre-recession that are just not moving forward (a whole 10 years later).

The Pinewood Forest site was one of them.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
About that Waxahachie #mory Lakes development:
“This project is going to take 30, 35, 40 years,” project planner Aaron Duncan said. “It’s how we accommodate that growth.”
So basically this sounds like a PTC that hasnt broken ground yet
I agree with you about PTC (nothing exciting about it )but its hardly a retirement community and it is still growing.

As stated earlier,it seems South Atlanta has a more diverse economy despite having a large number of distribution related facilities.
I mean with companies like Delta,Porsche NA, the airport with over 63,000 people working there as well as Pinewood Studios which is the largest production studio in the US ,I havent seen anything in particular mentioned that would lead one to think South Dallas had the upper hand

One other thing when it comes to these comparisons is that TX cities land areas are very large.
Ducncaviles and Desotos are cities that are at least twice as large land area wise.

McDonough shouldnt be ignored as its the largest city on the South of Atlanta after the city of South Fulton.
As far as the 30 - 40 year build out the planner says for the 10K home development in Waxahachie, they'll say anythiing to get it approved. At the rate the Dallas Metro is growing, I doubt it takes that long, as they gain nothing from sitting on that land for so long. As a comparison, Summergrove in Newnan (a 2,600 home development) was completely built out in 5 years.

McDonough and South Fulton are larger in terms of number of people within their mailing address, but Newnan has the higher city proper population and population density, which is why it has retail/restaurant/health care on par or even slightly better than those two cities.

As far as PTC, its full build out is planned at 40,000, so it's pretty much done growing. Their leaders are even having intense conversations about their failure to attract young people as welll as their rapidly aging populatolin (and what to do about it).

I don't think South Dallas has the upper hand over South Atlanta or vice versa. In fact, I think it's a draw in terms of their relatively low desirability.

Last edited by citidata18; 12-11-2019 at 05:19 AM..

Old 12-11-2019, 05:36 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Also logistics is also a major industry where people are employed.My cousin works for a German Shipping/freight company with its American headquarters in East Point.He met his wife there who is German
The land for Pinewood Forest was purchased during the great recession and like many developments around the metro area, stalled due to lending, demand, and other factors. The owner actually tried to sell it to investors / banks and couldn't so it remained vacant until they were able to obtain the financing to build what you see now which happened within the last three years.

If you Google map Sandy Creek Rd in Fayetteville, it will show you an un-updated 2016 image of what that area was, literally nothing there. Between 17 and 18 foundations started appearing with along with the round abouts you see on Sandy Creek Rd where eventually slabs and construction took place.

If Pinewood Forest had developed in N.Atlanta metro rather than S.Atlanta metro, it would have exploded much sooner as it would not have been solely reliant on the affluent filming population but the mass affluent population in N.Metro Atlanta. I do get that it was intended for the filming studios but it would have been much easier to obtain financing as it would have more access to affluent clientele (which they are currently doing anyway right now) than just filming. The one advantage it's current location does give it however is easier access to the Airport than you get in N.Metro Atlanta.

As for logistics, I'm well aware. My father is a truck driver based in Atlanta. There are plenty of logistical companies down there but I do not consider that to be affluent but basically blue collar workforce. It's great jobs dont mistake me but it doesnt necessarily make it stand out IMO and only a few of those can support strong enough salaries to live in places like Pinewood Forest.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-11-2019 at 05:44 AM..

Old 12-11-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
The issue isn't with the logistics industry itself. The type of development this industry is bringing to areas South of Atlanta is just very low quality.

You end up destroying a bunch of natural land for gigantic (ugly) warehouses that generate a ton of heavy semi-truck traffic and pollution, not to mention putting a lot of wear & tear on infrastructure, when in exchange you only get low wage (and many times temporary) jobs that barely move the needle in terms of attracting better amenities or establishing a higher QOL because those workers have limited taxable and disposable income.

Areas South of Dallas should be grateful they haven't been inundated with this type of heavy development (so far).

Old 12-11-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
The issue isn't with the logistics industry itself. The type of development this industry is bringing to areas South of Atlanta is just very low quality.

You end up destroying a bunch of natural land for gigantic (ugly) warehouses that generate a ton of heavy semi-truck traffic and pollution, not to mention putting a lot of wear & tear on infrastructure, when in exchange you only get low wage (and many times temporary) jobs that barely move the needle in terms of attracting better amenities or establishing a higher QOL because those workers have limited taxable and disposable income.

Areas South of Dallas should be grateful they haven't been inundated with this type of heavy development (so far).
No I get that.As far as jobs go there are better ones that dont have such a negative impact on roads and take up so much space but in absence of anything else ,these jobs are good.I guess im just saying as an industry,its major impact on the economy of the area.
My cousin makes very good money working in logistics as he works at a company with its headquarters there.He has a white collar job in a blue collar industry.

So what are the major economic engines of South Dallas?Any major attractions,universities,etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City