Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 05:15 AM

402 posts, read 369,584 times

Advertisements

Earn your money anywhere, then retire early in Florida...

Or...

Get a remote job, and move to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 05:31 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post

Or...

I would definitely do the bolded if I lucked up with a fully remote job, although my preference would be Tampa out of all of the cities.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:35 AM

402 posts, read 369,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I would definitely do the bolded if I lucked up with a fully remote job, although my preference would be Tampa out of all of the cities.
that was my choice ultimately as well, although Dallas and Houston were very attractive options.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:42 PM

747 posts, read 497,450 times
If OP includes cost of living, then Florida has the better job market, but it depends. There are plenty of jobs for example in burgeoning Florida cities like Tampa and Orlando, and the two cities have both been top 20 in the increase of high-paying jobs since 2015. COL is also middle of the pack, but generally far cheaper than Miami.

On the other hand, LA and San Francisco have pretty strong job markets but renting and buying in those cities is absolutely absurd, especially the Bay Area. Add to that some of the higher taxes in the nation and the chasm grows even more. The exception is a comparison to Miami. South Florida has comparatively lower COL but the pay is far less than in California. Unless you have a household income of at least $150k in Miami, I would say Miami would be tough to live in.

Now a city like Sacramento would probably represent the best of the both world imo.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:57 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
If OP includes cost of living, then Florida has the better job market, but it depends. There are plenty of jobs for example in burgeoning Florida cities like Tampa and Orlando, and the two cities have both been top 20 in the increase of high-paying jobs since 2015. COL is also middle of the pack, but generally far cheaper than Miami.
Tampa and Orlando have somewhat respectable Aerospace/Defense and Healthcare industries that pay well, but I'd still say they pale in comparison to the opportunities available in California even accounting for their low COL.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:09 PM

405 posts, read 196,536 times
California, easily. SF and LA economies are hard to beat, especially between these two states.
And San Diego isn't bad either.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post

Or...

I doubt many Californians retire to Florida. I've been in Calffornia 7 years, and Florida is rarely brought up at a all. And even then, it's mainly about Florida man memes.

Californians move, but they usually stay in the west/Texas for cheaper cost.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:20 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Not as popular as Texas or other Western states, but Florida was still the 7th most popular destination for Californians to move to as recently as 2018 (and I’m one of those):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfg...t-14811246.php

“Here are the most popular destinations for Californians moving out of state, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's annual American Community Survey:

Texas: 86,164 people
Arizona: 68,516 people
Washington: 55,467 people
Nevada: 50,707 people
Oregon: 43,058 people
Colorado: 28,288 people
Florida: 26,888 people
New York: 25,255 people
Virginia: 21,210 people
Idaho: 21,018 people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser S View Post
I doubt many Californians retire to Florida. I've been in Calffornia 7 years, and Florida is rarely brought up at a all. And even then, it's mainly about Florida man memes.

Californians move, but they usually stay in the west/Texas for cheaper cost.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:24 PM

My point still stands. You don't hear many people talk about it.

Of course some people are going to move to Florida, there's 40 million people here.

I don't hear people talking about going to Virgina either, but it's about the same amount that moves to Florida.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:27 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Using your logic I heard of people thinking of or actually moving to Colorado when I lived in CA, which is only slightly greater than the number of those moving to Florida. More people have been moving out of CA than into the state for the past several years. Such ebbs and flows seem to go in cycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser S View Post
My point still stands. You don't hear many people talk about it.

Of course some people are going to move to Florida, there's 40 million people here.

I don't hear people talking about going to Virgina either, but it's about the same amount that moves to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City