Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 01:34 PM

405 posts, read 196,427 times

Advertisements

Mainly because of cost. Do you really think if Florida had the same housing costs as California it would still be gaining?

It still has a far better job market than Florida, which is what this subject was about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 01:34 PM

747 posts, read 497,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser S View Post
I doubt many Californians retire to Florida. I've been in Calffornia 7 years, and Florida is rarely brought up at a all. And even then, it's mainly about Florida man memes.

Californians move, but they usually stay in the west/Texas for cheaper cost.
Lol must be a particularly juvenile/unintelligent group of people.

I lived in San Francisco for a good amount and most of the people who I know who left California left for Colorado, Texas, and Arizona. Retiring to Florida or Virginia would actually make the most financial sense, but most people aren’t willing to make the cross-country trip to retire when there are perfectly good, cheap options on the west coast.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:36 PM

I just think they have no desire and prefer the west. Unless it's NYC.

I've lived in humid states and it's brutal. The western states have a similar climate and scenery/lifestyle so its just an easier move for most.
I dont know many Californians who like humidity.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Mainly because of cost. Do you really think if Florida had the same housing costs as California it would still be gaining?

It still has a far better job market than Florida, which is what this subject was about.
Umm yes. Perhaps not at the same degree, but of course it would still be gaining. Housing costs are ONE factor but suggesting people move to Florida primarily because of that is a silly argument. Housing costs are also much cheaper in Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana. By your logic, these states would also be booming in population growth.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:41 PM

I disagree and I compared Florida and California only.

So you think if Florida was as expensive as California, those cheaper states around it wouldn't get people priced out from Florida, similar to Nevada and Arizona?

You're giving Florida way too much credit then.

Last edited by Keyser S; 07-06-2020 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-06-2020, 01:44 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
Many, including the wealthy, are fleeing high tax states following passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 that limits SALT write offs and relocating to states with no income tax..also, FL—like CA—has different microclimates. Humidity or heat can be mitigated by living on or close to the coast and receiving breezes. I agree with the other poster that Californians don’t like humidity and often equate it with The Forbidden Zone from the original “Planet of the Apes”; then again, a slight drizzle in January is their lead news story and referred to as “winter storm watch”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
Umm yes. Perhaps not at the same degree, but of course it would still be gaining. Housing costs are ONE factor but suggesting people move to Florida primarily because of that is a silly argument. Housing costs are also much cheaper in Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana. By your logic, these states would also be booming in population growth.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:46 PM

You might not feel the humidity, but i"m sure many from the west do. I've been to plenty of east coast beaches (I'm from the east btw) and the humidity is there no matter what.

Any time I travel back east its suffocating. Even in places like Minnesota or Chicago.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Tampa and Orlando have somewhat respectable Aerospace/Defense and Healthcare industries that pay well, but I'd still say they pale in comparison to the opportunities available in California even accounting for their low COL.
Oh of course. They’re still well behind California pay and opportunities but it just depends on the career. Before I got transferred, I worked in education making $80k in San Francisco and had to live over an hour and a half away just to find a house that wasn’t in the hood with crackheads next door. Got transferred to Orlando and took a $25k pay cut but easily was able to afford a 3-2 ranch home in a desirable neighborhood. For almost every person making under $150k household income, California simply isn’t worth it.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:49 PM

Not worth it to you. It's worth it to others. Most people getting priced out of California aren't the successful.

It's why some former gang areas in LA are now hipster/gentrified neighborhoods.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I disagree and I compared Florida and California only.

So you think if Florida was as expensive as California, those cheaper states around it wouldn't get people priced out from Florida, similar to Nevada and Arizona?

You're giving Florida way much too credit then.
You said Florida wouldn’t be “gaining” if it wasn’t as inexpensive, and I disagree. It would still be gaining. It just wouldn’t be at the same degree that it is now.

For all of California’s supposed mass exodus, it is still gaining population. It’s nowhere near as rapid as in the past, but it’s still a net positive. It would be the same for Florida. Many people retire there because of the warm weather and access to the world’s best beaches. Those wouldn’t suddenly disappear just because COL would increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City