Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 02:50 PM

747 posts, read 498,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser S View Post
You guys are trying to downgrade California.
I’m not. You’re getting offended because someone said something negative and true about where you live. You said the east coast was humid. I’m not offended although I live on the east coast. It is what it is.

Every single thing I’ve said is either a well-known fact or has been supported by scholarly sources, which I’ve presented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 02:52 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Some own SFH (some larger than others and/or pricier), some own condos (a few under $850K, a few quite a bit more than that), and—yes, they earn considerably more than median income (whether W-2 or otherwise, earned here or earned elsewhere). They range from attorneys to doctors to wealth managers to import/export, to business owners. Plenty of people do well here (plenty don’t either—though our homeless situation, traffic, infrastructure, taxes not as bad as CA).
You need to be making low 6-figures just to live comfortably in an *OK* part of South Florida (though obviously you can find places that are cheaper if you want to live in a ghetto), so I have to imagine one is either making well into the 6-figure range, brought housing years/decades ago when it was still cheap or sold a home elsewhere for a very healthy profit in order to afford a place in the highly desirable areas you listed.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:53 PM

405 posts, read 196,899 times
You're not downgrading California but because I said his post makes no sense, I'm downgrading Miami?

Florida has a median income problem. Sorry if that offends you. The Miami newspaper thinks it's a big deal, but what do they know?

Old 07-06-2020, 02:55 PM

Arcenal352, no, you're not, but the other two are.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
You're not downgrading California but because I said his post makes no sense, I'm downgrading Miami?

Florida has a median income problem. Sorry if that offends you. The Miami newspaper thinks it's a big deal, but what do they know?
California has a middle class problem. Sorry if that offends you. The credible, scholarly national news media outlets think California’s middle class is leaving, but what do they know?

Also, do you know how to quote posters?

Old 07-06-2020, 03:01 PM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Fine—but low 6 figures (or even below but close to 100,000) isn’t the same as “executives, celebrities, athletes” or wealthy...well or better off, OK...its not just the 1% (people worth $5M or more) living in the beach communities or desirable coastal mainland areas, though there are those. Just wanted to clarify that. You almost have 2 economies/classes in SoFla—coastal v inland (though there are some exceptions there as well such as Davie, Parkland, parts of Weston, etc etc which are very nice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
You need to be making low 6-figures just to live comfortably in an *OK* part of South Florida (though obviously you can find places that are cheaper if you want to live in a ghetto), so I have to imagine one is either making well into the 6-figure range, brought housing years/decades ago when it was still cheap or sold a home elsewhere for a very healthy profit in order to afford a place in the highly desirable areas you listed.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
California has a middle class problem. Sorry if that offends you. The credible, scholarly national news media outlets think California’s middle class is leaving, but what do they know?

Also, do you know how to quote posters?
nm

Old 07-06-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I'm not. I was merely replying on the Miami posts: "average professionals don't live in these places."

I have middle-class friends in Cali who do just fine.
So do I. They're not struggling, living in the pits, or anything else these two have said. Some of the best parts of California are middle class areas.

And if I say the opposite of their opinion, "I'm offended". Wow.

Some people really hate California, most likely for political reasons.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:10 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Fine—but low 6 figures isn’t the same as “executives, celebrities, athletes” or wealthy...well off, OK...its not just the 1% (people worth $5M or more) living in the beach communities or coastal mainland, though there are those. Just wanted to clarify that. You almost have 2 economies/classes in SoFla—coastal v inland (though there are some exceptions there as well such as Davie, Parkland, parts of Weston, etc etc which are very nice).
The bolded is true, but people making $100K can barely afford apartments in nice parts of Deerfield Beach. They darn sure aren't living in Condos on Miami Beach unless:

1. They got a huge real estate windfall from another state for a massive downpayment (such as wealthy retirees).

2. Brought a condo years / decades ago on Miami Beach when they were still cheap.

Now, people making $250K or more (the type of pay that only executives or celebrities make), that's a different story

Old 07-06-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
So do I. They're not struggling, living in the pits, or anything else these two have said. Some of the best parts of California are middle class areas.

And if I say the opposite of their opinion, "I'm offended". Wow.

Some people really hate California, most likely for political reasons.
Why do you assume people hate California? That’s an easy thing to fall back on. Bringing up politics, income inequality, middle class shrinkage, homelessness, and illegal immigration means I hate California? Does your mention of the east coasts’ humidity mean you hate the east coast? All I did was merely point out facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City