Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 10:20 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times

Advertisements

One of the two Canadian cities because of the favorable currency exchange rate. I do recall that Montreal was more expensive compared to Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 08:10 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
tough choice. i cant say
you could say

Old 12-15-2019, 04:55 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Montreal was my vote heads and shoulders above the rest based purely on "romantic" + "urban/city lifestyle." It is an amazing city with great walkability/transit and it is also incredibly romantic. That said, I totally agree about the weather. I am transiting through Montreal at the beginning of April and I'm afraid to even set foot outside the airport (have my entire family in tow) so we're staying at the hotel in-terminal.

San Diego is the de facto choice and while LA would be a nice side trip you honestly don't need it. Between the urban core, the beaches, and perhaps a jaunt south of the border, there is plenty to do in SD for 4 nights.

I was also considering chiming in with San Juan like cavsfan above. It will offer some Caribbean flair like Jamaica would, but also an interesting mix of European/Old World influence. And it has plenty of romantic spots + beach resorts.
Montreal has that feel for sure-but yeah if she was considering Jamaica... then Montreal in early April might be a little disappointing.

You can't really go wrong with San Diego, and it might have more to actually do-but San Juan does offer a lot-tremendous history/old world/European feel-I feel like on a certain level the compactness and history of San Juan might be more romantic overall than San Diego-and it's different/exotic/has a fair amount of exploring to be done in various corners of the city.

Ubers around the various parts of the city generally don't run anymore than 15$-there's like 8-10 different walkable urban districts you could go between, at least to some degree. There is a train/public transit, however, from a safety standpoint I was advised against using it.

I think it's a really good time for an urbanist and a beach lover alike. An obvious edge with San Juan is you actually can do swimming/water sports very easily sans wet suit.. so it's closer to what she wants than any of these-while still incorporating a good amount of what you want.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:17 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
Washington DC might also be an alternative. April is generally very pleasent. Most of the sites are free, so it's really just lodging and dinning expenses. I don't think DC is quite at Montreal's level. But places like Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria have an old world European feel.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:29 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Washington DC might also be an alternative. April is generally very pleasent. Most of the sites are free, so it's really just lodging and dinning expenses. I don't think DC is quite at Montreal's level. But places like Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria have an old world European feel.
1. DC weather will be better for sure
2. At Montreal’s level? Maybe not in charm/overall urbanity, though as you say, Montreal has some very nice hoods. DC has a more globally unique/impressive layout in its park system, institutions present, and just overall world city feel-which could not matter to some, but might matter to OP-esp if it hasn’t been experienced
3. Cherry. Blossoms. Also, while DC for sure isn’t coastal, it has Annapolis and Baltimore which are more nautical oriented within the metro at least and wouldn’t hurt to add on. Also and I guess maybe this just matters to me as a sports fan, but seeing a Nats or O’s game holds some appeal-as does potentially watching Horse Racing at Pimlico-or Hopkins/Maryland Lax

Old 12-16-2019, 10:22 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Update:
Me and the Wife decided to delay our Anniversary trip to the 2nd week of May so we can go to Montreal. Thanks for all the input! It was much appreciated

Old 12-16-2019, 11:02 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Update:
Me and the Wife decided to delay our Anniversary trip to the 2nd week of May so we can go to Montreal. Thanks for all the input! It was much appreciated
Smart move, good choice, have fun.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:25 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Update:

Great choice. One of the best cities in North America.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:36 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Chicago, Montreal, San Diego IMO

Edit: Great choice. I went to Montreal in 2016 and it was amazing! Very unique place

Old 12-16-2019, 12:50 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Echo the sentiments that this is the best move. I mean, I don't want to raise your expectations and then have you disappointed somehow, but I don't think that can happen lol. It's a great city! Do some research on points of interest and romantic spots, but I don't think you can go wrong. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City