Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better streetlevel activity? Toronto vs Chicago
Chicago 88 66.17%
Toronto 45 33.83%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 09:11 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times

Advertisements

Toronto is better for walking around without a doubt, it is much safer than Chicago. There even was a gang related shooting at the Navy Pier last year. We spent some time there too, I wouldn’t do that again probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 09:37 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Toronto is better for walking around without a doubt, it is much safer than Chicago. There even was a gang related shooting at the Navy Pier last year. We spent some time there too, I wouldn’t do that again probably.
Navy Pier is not a STREET -LEVEL LOCATION. Its a tourist some locals attraction. GET IT! The incident was not seen by most. No death. It was quickly taken care of. Most cities had something. Even Times Square NYC.

Most there for fireworks long the whole lakefront knew nothing occurred. You are my least liked poster all the way from Germany yet..... many years not in the US. Nearing 60-million tourist head to Chicago on business and with pleasure activities with no incidents.....

This had nothing to do with street-level. It was a special event with 1000s of thousands on the pier and parks and shoreline. Reopening a thread on this .....

Old 01-25-2020, 09:42 AM

1,393 posts, read 861,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Navy Pier is not a STREET -LEVEL LOCATION. Its a tourist some locals attraction. GET IT! The incident was not seen by most. No death. It was quickly taken care of. Most cities had something. Even Times Square NYC.

Most there for fireworks long the whole lakefront knew nothing occurred. You are my least liked poster all the way from Germany yet..... many years not in the US.
Dave your passion and energy for the city of Chicago could be put to better use than on the city data forum...why don’t you volunteer or work for Chicago tourism or public relations that will much better serve the cities global image than here

Old 01-25-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Dave your passion and energy for the city of Chicago could be put to better use than on the city data forum...why don’t you volunteer or work for Chicago tourism or public relations that will much better serve the cities global image than here
They don't need me. The city has nearly 60-million tourist a year (of course mostly domestic.... all head to the core. But thanks for a referral. . No one expects NYC international tourism levels in the US Midwest vs the Coast. But till increases in international it gets.

The city has something and built attractions for them and locals..... My opinion is go back to more tropical flowers used in summer. Loved it with artist works. Also a few palms along the beaches that they did a few years back. But costly and sad they were left to die in winter. That art I hated. But you still can get your fix on palms at Navy Pier in summer and winter.

Last edited by DavePa; 01-25-2020 at 10:19 AM..

Old 01-25-2020, 11:08 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I was sooooo surprised by this video of Toronto in winter. Very unimpressive. SAYS WAKLKING TO DOWNTOWN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GMwK_Xej8g

Honestly pic for start looks impressive. Then video starts and looks like in a bad seedy side of town.
Yes I was shocked.
- narrow streets not the cleanest or best shape
- graffiti gang-like seen
- debris in front yards of homes it passes
- trash-bins still on sidewalks says no alleys in back for trash pick-up.
- WORST OF ALL ...... UGLY POWERLINE POLES ON THIS MAIN STREET (I assume) .....

This is the not similar to Chicago. Worst ghetto maybe. sorry.

But the pic of green-outdoor cafés for its interest post caught my eye. But WOW WAS I UNIMPRESSED when it started. Yet all were positive votes and no negatives...... Yes its winter .... but looks sad to me sorry.

Oops posted before I did a Chicago one..... next post I guess so video takes in the square block like this one.
This post is hilarious. An almost 90 minute walk of solid, pre-war urbanity along vibrant commercial streets that are adjacent to healthy, low crime dense residential neighbourhoods and these are the things you come up with to try and make it look bad? Comparing it to Chicago's worst ghetto?? Are you serious????

Old 01-25-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
This post is hilarious. An almost 90 minute walk of solid, pre-war urbanity along vibrant commercial streets that are adjacent to healthy, low crime dense residential neighbourhoods and these are the things you come up with to try and make it look bad? Comparing it to Chicago's worst ghetto?? Are you serious????
Didn't you already post this or another Torontonian.

But the pic in the intro caught my eye. Man was I surprised. Utopia of North America it isn't.....
Honestly, again. Perfect vs Chicago T.O. IS ..... Heck no. I merely came across it randomly.
It certainly surprised me in the impression boosters give. So I used it..... the video that is.

Why would they post a outdoor café summer scene and I see this.

I replied on what I saw...... What do you see in the video with a great in too pic?

May as well be a hood in Chicago..... Play with it as you wish. It isn't utopia.

Last edited by DavePa; 01-25-2020 at 12:16 PM..

Old 01-25-2020, 06:47 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I doubt there's any difference in relative safety for tourists.

And there have been lots of shootings in Toronto's core. Eaton Centre, Dundas Square and the like have had gang shootings.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:01 PM

293 posts, read 245,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I doubt there's any difference in relative safety for tourists.

And there have been lots of shootings in Toronto's core. Eaton Centre, Dundas Square and the like have had gang shootings.
Please tell me you are really not comparing Toronto's crime to Chicago's.

76 homicides in Toronto during 2019 versus astronomical 490 for Chicago.

Chicago is a war zone compared to Toronto or any Canadian city for that matter. And this coming from someone who thinks Chicago is the finest city in the US.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:28 PM

30 posts, read 17,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
Please tell me you are really not comparing Toronto's crime to Chicago's.

76 homicides in Toronto during 2019 versus astronomical 490 for Chicago.

Chicago is a war zone compared to Toronto or any Canadian city for that matter. And this coming from someone who thinks Chicago is the finest city in the US.
I believe the argument against Chicago for having so many shooting is irrelevant.
Unless you are in a gang you are not going to be in a situation where you need to worry, most of the shooting happen in and around the projects and outskirts where tourists and workers do not traverse. This shouldn't affect the core of downtown street level activity, otherwise you're grasping at straws and Toronto boosting.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:29 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystreets89 View Post
I believe the argument against Chicago for having so many shooting is irrelevant.
Unless you are in a gang you are not going to be in a situation where you need to worry, most of the shooting happen in and around the projects and outskirts where tourists and workers do not traverse. This shouldn't affect the core of downtown street level activity, otherwise you're grasping at straws and Toronto boosting.
Well, you're fairly new, and it didn't take you long to spot "Toronto boosting." What you've said, here, is spot on. But, wait, the boosters will be back, to try to disparage Chicago, again. I've said it several times, that I lived there, have many friends who still live there, and not a ONE has been a victim, nor do they know anyone who has been. I guess none of us run with gang members. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City