Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 07:11 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,892,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This is a random side note, but today I was doing a bit of reading and research, and for fun thought I'd look at downtown Nashville and just how booming the city development has been since 2010.

There were 18 buildings built over 250 feet between 1957 and 2010 in Nashville.

Since 2010 until January 2020, there have been 19 buildings over 250 feet completed!

So in the past 10 years, more skyscrapers have been built in downtown and midtown Nashville than in the whole previous 53 years prior.

And there are another 12 under construction currently over 250 feet, and another 16 + proposed or approved for construction.

WOW, now that's a building boom.

That is Phenomenal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 07:14 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,892,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Interesting how much it is concentrated. I bet Miami and Seattle would have an disproportionate concentration too.

I just flew out of Nashville on Monday and the plane did a nice curve around downtown. It was interesting to see for myself. Personally, I'm surprised how much people hype up the skyline. The main cluster of buildings was really small.

I was definitely more impressed by how far the "urban fabric" stretched...from downtown to Vanderbilt. There was good density, but not necessarily verticality (which is overrated anyways). That in particular was impressive. I had experienced it on the ground and even though it is a bit patchy at street-level, it was great to see the big picture expansiveness of increasingly urban Nashville. It will be interesting to see the 2020 census data for sure!

Yea I Remember Standing at Nissan Stadium Looking at Downtown Nashville across the river One Day and Thinking Yea, It is Kinda Small compared to other cities, But it's been building like crazy

Old 01-11-2020, 07:50 PM

10,064 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Interesting how much it is concentrated. I bet Miami and Seattle would have an disproportionate concentration too.

I just flew out of Nashville on Monday and the plane did a nice curve around downtown. It was interesting to see for myself. Personally, I'm surprised how much people hype up the skyline. The main cluster of buildings was really small.

I was definitely more impressed by how far the "urban fabric" stretched...from downtown to Vanderbilt. There was good density, but not necessarily verticality (which is overrated anyways). That in particular was impressive. I had experienced it on the ground and even though it is a bit patchy at street-level, it was great to see the big picture expansiveness of increasingly urban Nashville. It will be interesting to see the 2020 census data for sure!
Yeah, the thing about Nashville is the density of downtown, and the new skyline emerging that is connecting downtown to the gulch/Nashville Yards and into midtown/Vanderbilt. I'd say by 2025, this will be almost a seamless skyline all the way.

So much construction is going on in Nashville, it's unprecedented and it will be a totally different city in 5 years for downtown, the gulch and midtown anyway.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:02 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Yeah, the thing about Nashville is the density of downtown, and the new skyline emerging that is connecting downtown to the gulch/Nashville Yards and into midtown/Vanderbilt. I'd say by 2025, this will be almost a seamless skyline all the way.

So much construction is going on in Nashville, it's unprecedented and it will be a totally different city in 5 years for downtown, the gulch and midtown anyway.
Nashville benefits in this way by having very narrow streets, somewhat similar to New Orleans and Montreal (on a MUCH SMALLER scale obviously.) But the narrow streets provide a much denser feel.

Quote:

There is this weird thing about C-D and Nashville's skyline. It's literally the only place where I see it mentioned, particularly even praised.

I agree that vertical density is very overrated. Generally, over-emphasis on height takes away from the street-level vibe that I enjoy.

Nashville wouldn't be Nashville if a bunch of tall buildings started popping up in places like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1615...7i16384!8i8192

Old 01-12-2020, 01:24 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Can't argue with that. The unfortunate truth is that mixed-use buildings don't make great retail or party districts.

Mixed use and high densities are great for a city that's vibrant and walkable overall. But the specific buildings make the really great streets tough.

Retail in mixed-use buildings has to compete with the other uses upstairs, even in terms of the ground floor. Parking entries, residential or office lobbies, loading docks, and so on. The result is that even if retail lines the entire main frontage, it's probably not deep into the building. That might mean three or four small retailers instead of six or eight. Or just one big one lining much of the block, that's long and skinny in the wrong direction.

Also residents don't like bars and music downstairs. We like living a couple blocks away but few 8-5 workers want to deal with booming music or screaming people much of the night, and being several floors up, or even 20, doesn't help much.

That's why the best retail and bar streets are often heavily downzoned.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:59 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Can't argue with that. The unfortunate truth is that mixed-use buildings don't make great retail or party districts.

Mixed use and high densities are great for a city that's vibrant and walkable overall. But the specific buildings make the really great streets tough.

Retail in mixed-use buildings has to compete with the other uses upstairs, even in terms of the ground floor. Parking entries, residential or office lobbies, loading docks, and so on. The result is that even if retail lines the entire main frontage, it's probably not deep into the building. That might mean three or four small retailers instead of six or eight. Or just one big one lining much of the block, that's long and skinny in the wrong direction.

Also residents don't like bars and music downstairs. We like living a couple blocks away but few 8-5 workers want to deal with booming music or screaming people much of the night, and being several floors up, or even 20, doesn't help much.

That's why the best retail and bar streets are often heavily downzoned.
It really is a shame that market forces and zoning regulations have made small-scale organic urban development a thing of the past.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:47 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:

Sort by year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Austin,_Texas

Old 01-12-2020, 04:33 PM

10,064 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Pretty dang impressive--wow. As much as Nashville is on fire with development, Austin ups that a few notches.

Simply incredible growth.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:20 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Austin, Boston/Cambridge, Seattle, Chicago, Nashville and DC/Arlington each over 100 buildings over 150ft, under construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City