Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 03:43 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Amazon EOC-5000 jobs(potential to add 10,000 more)

Smile Direct Club Expansion-2000 jobs

Alliance Bernstein North American Headquarters-1050 jobs

Ernst and Young-over 500 jobs

Mitsubishi North American Headquarters-over 200 jobs

Iheartradio Headquarters 2-over 500 jobs

This is just this past year with more yet to be announced the first of the year.
Some of your responses need clarification. For example:

Ernst & Young is based in the London, UK with its U.S HQs based in NYC but you are correct they are adding over 500 jobs in Nashville. E&Y has 270,000 employees, so relatively speaking, its not an large move.

IHeartMedia is the parent of Iheartradio and is actually based in San Antonio. The Nashville is an expansion of its digital unit to a second location to support the other in NYC.

Mitsubishi HQ of 200 jobs which is very modest to say the least. For example, Toyota North America moved to metro Dallas from California in 2016, moving 4,000 workers in a new 2 million square foot HQ.

Amazon, Alliance Bernstein and Smile Direct really are the noteworthy expansions. I expect growth in Nashville to continue especially when looking at other options in the southeast. I think the airport will need a major upgrade to meet the needs. Nashville's not a hub of any of the major airlines as is Atlanta and Charlotte. Austin is going through that same issue now, having recently opened a new terminal but its not enough. I hope the those in Tennessee's capital will make the necessary investments...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 03:48 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
So unless youre Black or White, your American experience doesnt matter? How insulting to the rest of us.

You single out Raleigh as the example of diversity in this list? Really? I can't help but laugh my asss off at that horrendously inaccurate observation.

Please, travel some time.
I totally agree with you on this one.. I think people definitely need to travel more to get a better feel and not rely of yesterday's stereo types or what they keep labeling black cities and white cities,, how about American cities.. I think many don't know or realize Nashville has one of the highest percentage of black populations on this list and is a very diverse city by the way and not just blacks and whites.. The city has plenty of black culture and a good bit of HBCU'S by the way..

Old 12-21-2019, 03:53 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh okay, so you have a bias against non-whites and non-blacks, and you also have an anti-west coast bias. Not surprising.

Nope, I read you just fine.

And I said what I said.
You should research Nashville's black percentage of the population, heritage not to mention other races importance in the city..

Old 12-21-2019, 03:59 PM

592 posts, read 591,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Some of your responses need clarification. For example:

Ernst & Young is based in the London, UK with its U.S HQs based in NYC but you are correct they are adding over 500 jobs in Nashville. E&Y has 270,000 employees, so relatively speaking, its not an large move.

IHeartMedia is the parent of Iheartradio and is actually based in San Antonio. The Nashville is an expansion of its digital unit to a second location to support the other in NYC.

Mitsubishi HQ of 200 jobs which is very modest to say the least. For example, Toyota North America moved to metro Dallas from California in 2016, moving 4,000 workers in a new 2 million square foot HQ.

Amazon, Alliance Bernstein and Smile Direct really are the noteworthy expansions. I expect growth in Nashville to continue especially when looking at other options in the southeast. I think the airport will need a major upgrade to meet the needs. Nashville's not a hub of any of the major airlines as is Atlanta and Charlotte. Austin is going through that same issue now, having recently opened a new terminal but its not enough. I hope the those in Tennessee's capital will make the necessary investments...
Maybe I misunderstood the initial question. You mentioned corporate relocations and used Austin as an example citing Apple, Oracle, Facebook etc. but they're all headquartered in California. Looks to me that companies aren't necessarily moving their headquarters to Austin, just expanding their presence as with Nashville.

There's talks of Oracle expanding to Nashville as well but the official announcement hasn't been made yet.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/busine...local-presence

Also, Nashville's airport is currently undergoing a 1.2 billion expansion adding additional terminals, hotel, parking etc.

https://bnavisionnashville.com

Last edited by jkc2j; 12-21-2019 at 04:10 PM..

Old 12-21-2019, 04:00 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Looks like a top 10 list of places that white people like to relocate to. Nothing wrong with it at all, but the list is pretty generic to me. Even the two in the South have the least amount of Black diversity. All pleasant places to live, but not sure I would be a great fit for most of them.
This statement seems a little inaccurate and bigoted to me. Sorry, but Nashville has a large black population and my neighbor is black. San Antonio is a majority Hispanic. Raleigh has an equal amount of black people to Nashville. Charlotte has almost and equal amount of white and black people and many claim has one of the most successful number of black professionals of any city next to Atlanta. BTW, San Francisco, San Jose, etc have very large Asian populations. Maybe, you are looking in a black/white lens here?

My concern for Nashville is the wages are less (or equal) in many professions than Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, yet the cost of living has become higher.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...s-atlanta.html

From City Data (2017):
Nashville Median Income: $57,737
Charlotte Median Income: $61,350
Raleigh Median Income: $64,660
Atlanta Median Income: $57,597
Austin Median Income: $67,755 (Probably becoming more similar to Nashville in Cost of Living)

Some may consider rising housing costs success, but some others (like me) could look at it as a lack in city planning and income inequality of a city.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 12-21-2019 at 04:20 PM..

Old 12-21-2019, 04:48 PM

503 posts, read 800,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
It is in the same city group, for sure. Nashville does not have rail yet and needs that badly. But Nashville has a more diverse economy than Charlotte, arguably Denver, and is about the same as Austin. Charlotte has 2-3 pro teams, Nashville has 3 pro teams, and Denver has 4 pro teams. Nashville's entertainment beats both cities out, I think. Austin is nicely on par with Nashville--but I prefer Nashville's entertainment/bar/restaurant scene to Austin's.

Nashville has one of the best overall city economies in the US.

https://patch.com/tennessee/nashvill...america-report
Denver has 8 professional sports teams, not 4. It has all 4 major sports teams. Nashville has 3 Pro teams overall...Denver also has a much stronger/faster growing economy
Denver- $214 Billion
Nashville- $132 Billion

The gap is even larger when you compare CSAs
Denver CSA- $261 Billion
Nashville CSA- $136 Billion

Quote:
As for Denver, Nashville's downtown is not as dense as Denver's yet, and Denver has a superb rail system, but Nashville's downtown is becoming as dense as Denver's, and Nashville's is more vibrant, in my experience. The airport is growing quickly and is under renovation currently as well.
Nashville currently isn’t anywhere close to being in a tier with Denver. A tourist trap downtown doesn’t really change that. Denver’s airport is the 5th busiest in the country compared to Nashville which is at 32nd. A case can definitely be made for Austin and Charlotte, but even they’re ahead of Nashville. Denver’s peers are San Diego, Minneapolis/St. Paul and Phoenix.

Last edited by Gfitz1010; 12-21-2019 at 06:10 PM..

Old 12-21-2019, 04:58 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
This statement seems a little inaccurate and bigoted to me. Sorry, but Nashville has a large black population and my neighbor is black. San Antonio is a majority Hispanic. Raleigh has an equal amount of black people to Nashville. Charlotte has almost and equal amount of white and black people and many claim has one of the most successful number of black professionals of any city next to Atlanta. BTW, San Francisco, San Jose, etc have very large Asian populations. Maybe, you are looking in a black/white lens here?

My concern for Nashville is the wages are less (or equal) in many professions than Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, yet the cost of living has become higher.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...s-atlanta.html

From City Data (2017):
Nashville Median Income: $57,737
Charlotte Median Income: $61,350
Raleigh Median Income: $64,660
Atlanta Median Income: $57,597
Austin Median Income: $67,755 (Probably becoming more similar to Nashville in Cost of Living)

Some may consider rising housing costs success, but some others (like me) could look at it as a lack in city planning and income inequality of a city.
I said Black diversity, and Charlotte is not on the list. Raleigh has Blacks in it’s metro along with Nashville, but even those two aren’t known for having a strong diversity of Blacks, by and large African American.

In the bigger context of this article, I see the criteria is about the percentage change of things like median home value, home ownership rate, adults with college degrees etc. All of the metros on the list are sub- 5 million people, so I guess I can understand that logic. But to me seeing the most change” would involve infrastructure improvements, the most mega projects, educational gains or improvements, etc.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:56 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I said Black diversity, and Charlotte is not on the list. Raleigh has Blacks in it’s metro along with Nashville, but even those two aren’t known for having a strong diversity of Blacks, by and large African American.
Very, very few metros are known for having a strong diversity of Blacks and the ones that do are big immigration gateways (NYC, Miami, possibly DC). Even Atlanta isn't known for this so this feels to be an arbitrary way to judge fast-growing, rapidly-changing, mostly mid-major metro areas.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:35 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Very, very few metros are known for having a strong diversity of Blacks and the ones that do are big immigration gateways (NYC, Miami, possibly DC). Even Atlanta isn't known for this so this feels to be an arbitrary way to judge fast-growing, rapidly-changing, mostly mid-major metro areas.
You beat me to it. Hella arbitrary...

Old 12-24-2019, 09:32 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
Denver has 8 professional sports teams, not 4. It has all 4 major sports teams. Nashville has 3 Pro teams overall...Denver also has a much stronger/faster growing economy
Denver- $214 Billion
Nashville- $132 Billion

The gap is even larger when you compare CSAs
Denver CSA- $261 Billion
Nashville CSA- $136 Billion

Nashville currently isn’t anywhere close to being in a tier with Denver. A tourist trap downtown doesn’t really change that. Denver’s airport is the 5th busiest in the country compared to Nashville which is at 32nd. A case can definitely be made for Austin and Charlotte, but even they’re ahead of Nashville. Denver’s peers are San Diego, Minneapolis/St. Paul and Phoenix.
I agree Denver is definitely a higher tier metro without even considering # of sports teams. Denver benefits from being the primary metro area in the Mountain region, much beyond SL City and Boise. Austin and Charlotte too are closer in economic importance though Austin is not as big as it could be given that San Antonio is 75 miles to the south. Nashville, Charlotte and Denver don't have a major metro that close to skim off some talent. Colorado Springs is closer to Denver than San Antonio is to Austin but its far smaller

But Denver has EIGHT pro teams? Now let's be realistic, who really cares after NFL, MLB, NHL, MLS and NBA? Actually, I think U of Colorado is more relevant than MLS. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City