Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in today? Which do you think you'd rather live in at the end of the 2020
Prefer Connecticut today 11 64.71%
Prefer Northeast Ohio today 6 35.29%
Likely prefer Connecticut at the end of the 2020s 7 41.18%
Likely prefer Northeast Ohio at the end of the 2020s 4 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 10:20 AM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

These two are about the same size and population and were once part of the same state. Much of Northeast Ohio have towns that were created and laid out by people from Connecticut as the Connecticut Western Reserve and at one point called New Connecticut.

The two are about the same latitude, but one fronts the Long Island Sound while the other Lake Erie. Both had a long history of being industrial giants and both are seeing renewed investment in their urban cores.

Here are some possible criteria:

Cities
Economy
Quality of life
Recreational activities
Parks and greenspaces
Education/Schools K-12
Universities and Research institutions
Culture
Politics
Infrastructure and Transportation

But most importantly, which would you rather live in now and why? Which do you see yourself preferring at the end of the 2020s? Also, what modern day similarities or particular affinities between the two regions do you think exist today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 12:59 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Cities: OH
Economy: OH
Quality of life: CT
Recreational activities: CT
Parks and greenspaces: CT
Education/Schools K-12: CT
Universities and Research institutions: CT
Culture: Tie.
Politics: CT
Infrastructure and Transportation: OH

Old 12-24-2019, 11:33 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Parks and greenspaces: Tie?
Culture: Tie
Infrastructure and Transportation: CT

I'd rather live in CT today and would definitely still prefer CT by the end of the 2020s. Simple reason. You can live in a suburb that is still at least somewhat urban/walkable and be to Manhattan within an hour or so. Second simple reason is CT politics are much bluer than OH.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Parks and greenspaces: Tie?
Culture: Tie

I'd rather live in CT today and would definitely still prefer CT by the end of the 2020s. Simple reason. You can live in a suburb that is still at least somewhat urban/walkable and be to Manhattan within an hour or so. Second simple reason is CT politics are much bluer than OH.
Will mention that Northeast Ohio is pretty blue, and Cleveland is firmly in Northeast Ohio and has some fairly good urban/walkable neighborhoods.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:41 AM

728 posts, read 974,590 times
Cities: OH (only because I want to be fair to state borders)
Economy: CT
Parks and greenspaces: CT
Universities and Research institutions: CT (Cleveland made this close though)
Culture: CT

All in all, i'm from the East Coast and the Midwest is a tough sell to me. Not to mention CT is in between NYC and Boston. Montreal is not far away. The Berkshires, White Mountains, Green Mountains aren't far. Near the ocean.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Will mention that Northeast Ohio is pretty blue, and Cleveland is firmly in Northeast Ohio and has some fairly good urban/walkable neighborhoods.
Oh def. Cleveland and its area regularly votes deep blue. However, the state of OH seems to be trending red except for a single senator right now. CT, as a whole, is bluer than OH, as a whole.

And yes, Cleveland has some great walkable and urban neighborhoods. But I'd personally rather live within an hour train ride to Manhattan. AFAIK, Greenwich, Stamford, and Bridgeport are pretty walkable and it's very easy to get to Manhattan by train from them. Also, AFAIK, Bridgeport may not be the greatest city rn, but it still seems pretty urban and has the potential. And I'd also never be able to afford Greenwich. But still.

In a vacuum, I'd definitely live in Ohio City or Little Italy/UC. But the ability to be in Manhattan so easily from CT is what wins it for me. CT is within the Northeast Corridor which is where I like to be.

Old 12-24-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Oh def. Cleveland and its area regularly votes deep blue. However, the state of OH seems to be trending red except for a single senator right now. CT, as a whole, is bluer than OH, as a whole.

And yes, Cleveland has some great walkable and urban neighborhoods. But I'd personally rather live within an hour train ride to Manhattan. AFAIK, Greenwich, Stamford, and Bridgeport are pretty walkable and it's very easy to get to Manhattan by train from them. Also, AFAIK, Bridgeport may not be the greatest city rn, but it still seems pretty urban and has the potential. And I'd also never be able to afford Greenwich. But still.

In a vacuum, I'd definitely live in Ohio City or Little Italy/UC. But the ability to be in Manhattan so easily from CT is what wins it for me. CT is within the Northeast Corridor which is where I like to be.
I understand where you’re coming from, but Ohio as a whole isn’t deep red—it’s more in the middle and can possibly swing back to blue. NYC as an anchor city can be attractive. An hour’s train ride is not quite the same as living there, and with Cleveland you can live in the central city itself and downtown Cleveland has been on a development kick.

Old 12-24-2019, 12:37 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
I understand where you’re coming from, but Ohio as a whole isn’t deep red—it’s more in the middle and can possibly swing back to blue. NYC as an anchor city can be attractive. An hour’s train ride is not quite the same as living there, and with Cleveland you can live in the central city itself and downtown Cleveland has been on a development kick.
OHio was redder than Texas in the last election.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
OHio was redder than Texas in the last election.
Ohio has been quite red in the past few years. Plus, even if Ohio swings back blue, CT will always be much much much much much bluer.

Living IN a major city has its plus sides. But the CT cities are not bad within themselves and I'd rather be 1 hour from NYC. But again, in a vacuum, Cleveland blows away anything CT has to offer. CT can't even come close to Cleveland in city quality. But combine the far bluer politics, location in the Northeast Corridor, and 1 hour train rides to Manhattan plus the fact that CT have good (though small) bones/urbanity and it's just CT all the way for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City