Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2019, 05:29 PM

6,729 posts, read 6,724,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Again who cares how many people work at the physical port
I get that you think it's 1905 and an army of longshoremen are going to help a port city grow, but I'd recommend you stop sourcing Wikipedia and econ development PR sheets for "impact" and actually look at the true economics of modern ports. They benefit the country, not the MSA they're in. So many ports are in slow growth MSAs because the downstream jobs are far, far away. If I buy a car in California, it can came from Seattle, Oakland, or LA, neither I nor the dealer care. His job is not "downstream" from any port, its part of a global supply chain of which the actual port is just a conduit for business transacted elsewhere. This is very different than 100+ years ago when cotton exchanges and broker-dealers bought and sold goods at the port itself or nearby. This is also one reason why the port cities of those days from Memphis to Baltimore have declined so dramatically, and why expensive cities like NY and SF sent their ports across the river and bay to much cheaper land.

I'd also recommend you study containerization.

This is the actual amount of trade passing through the top 30 US ports, and none are in fast growing metros, and no offense to Norfolk and Savannah, no one would claim their "significance" is anywhere near their port ranking.

https://www.logisticsmgmt.com/articl...argo_goes_next
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Desirability
I don't "desire" to live anywhere where Atlantic Station is seen as a great walkable development. Oh wait, I forgot there's an aquarium, and parking at its not bad because downtown is so deserted.

Look, I get some people just want to drive their kids to soccer practice all day in their minivans, and think it's great that there are mall cops and piped in music at the only walkable neighborhood within 15 miles of their house. Freedom of choice all the way. But for an increasing number of people, gonna say this is not what they desire, but that's all you're getting in Atlanta.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:46 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_funkadelic View Post
I do believe there's more to importance than just economy.
True but if the corporations in your area directly affected the daily lives of BILLIONS of people as far as their ability to communicate and search for information, Im not sure how it's possible to top that with anecdotal pop culture stuff. Quite frankly.

Example: 97% of all smart phones...IN THE WORLD... run on Android or iOS-both Bay Area platforms.

Show me that kind of world domination and I'll think about conceding, but actually bragging about a silly football game btwn 2 southern universities being televised in Charlotte---no thats like nothing.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:56 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_funkadelic View Post
Now while I didn't specify and I definitely don't believe Atlanta (as much as I like and believe it's a top 10 American city) is more important than San Francisco, I do believe there's more to importance than just economy. That's why I see Houston over Dallas and DC over Chicago, sf, and la. Just throwing that out there
In the area of more importance than economy, I can understand this and agree. For me personally economy is extremely important and in terms of desirability is the highest factor in my choices of places to live. My perspective is mainly on the economic impact side. I don't disagree that there are areas where Atlanta has a upperhand over SF, but my main analysis is this, if suddenly one of these cities were to 'disappear' overnight... SF would have a far greater consequence to America overall... not saying it to 'offend' Atlanta, nor am I saying that Atlanta's loss would not 'hurt' anything - it definitely would...but in economic output SF weighs a crapton more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
SF is more diverse than Atlanta. Blacks are not the only minority that make a place diverse. They are both minority majority cities.

SF
White 40%
Black 6%
Hispanic 15%
Asian 36%
Two or more 4%

Atlanta
White 38%
Black 52%
Hispanic 4%
Asian 4%
Two or more 2%

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rnia/PST045218

I agree with this but in culture and history I have to agree with others that Atlanta takes the cake here. Atlanta seems to have more of a soul than SF, no offense.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:08 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

I agree with this but in culture and history I have to agree with others that Atlanta takes the cake here. Atlanta seems to have more of a soul than SF, no offense.
I was speaking only to you note regarding "diversity" going to Atlanta. History and soul are subjective based on what intrigues/relates to an individual i.e. AA history and culture with Atlanta and LGBTQ history and culture with SF.

Last edited by Ebck120; 12-28-2019 at 06:19 PM..

Old 12-28-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Atlanta seems to have more of a soul than SF, no offense.
If soul = empty sidewalks and a deserted downtown, then yes, Atlanta's way ahead.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:19 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Post
What do you folks think are America's most important cities heading into 2020? The true "major" cities.
Why are people talking about history and culture in a discussion about the future. How strange.

History has absolutely zero relevance in this thread imo and culture is only relevant based on current cultural trends or movements that a city plays a major role in, or takes center stage in. 10 years til now is enough.

Otherwise people are trying to relive past glory like folks in a retirement home talking about when they were the high school quarterback...

Old 12-28-2019, 06:22 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I was speaking purely to the "diverse" note. History and soul are subjective based on what intrigues/relates to an individual i.e. AA history and culture with Atlanta and LGBTQ history and culture with SF.
Noted but I also believe Atlanta goes beyond AA history as well which also trickles down to the way we live our lives today.

Respectfully speaking here, wouldn't you agree that the impacts of the civil war have had far greater national impacts to this country and its economy as a whole in comparison to the LGBTQ movement? Don't read me wrong, I'm not stating that LGBTQ history was insignificant but the civil war literally dictated upon the hinges of how this nation was going to be managed. Not to mention the city was burned to the ground and resurrected in the 1800's. Not saying SF's history is insignificant, but I personally believe in terms of history Atlanta has had much larger roles in the national perspective and has had to deal with alot more crap for the lack of better words.

Quote:
Why are people talking about history and culture in a discussion about the future. How strange.

History has absolutely zero relevance in this thread imo and culture is only relevant based on current cultural trends or movements that a city plays a major role in, or takes center stage in. 10 years til now is enough.

Otherwise people are trying to relive past glory like folks in a retirement home talking about when they were the high school quarterback...
I get this, and the thread has diverged a bit. Reason I brought this up was another poster saw other importances outside of economy, while in terms of this thread I agree SF easily over ATL but in other importances I can see why others do have an allure for ATL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
If soul = empty sidewalks and a deserted downtown, then yes, Atlanta's way ahead.
I'm speaking more so in terms of culture. SF is awesome and I love SF don't get me wrong its just...to me it felt like a go to work <-> go home city. I'd still prefer it but... it just didn't seem like much more than that to me.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:33 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Noted but I also believe Atlanta goes beyond AA history as well which also trickles down to the way we live our lives today.

Respectfully speaking here, wouldn't you agree that the impacts of the civil war have had far greater national impacts to this country and its economy as a whole in comparison to the LGBTQ movement? Don't read me wrong, I'm not stating that LGBTQ history was insignificant but the civil war literally dictated upon the hinges of how this nation was going to be managed. Not to mention the city was burned to the ground and resurrected in the 1800's. Not saying SF's history is insignificant, but I personally believe in terms of history Atlanta has had much larger roles in the national perspective and has had to deal with alot more crap for the lack of better words.
I don't disagree with you regarding Atlanta's rich past but besides Civil War history and the consequential actions based on those remnants, if we look at modern history, SF to me is much more interesting. SF was also destroyed and rebuilt btw. Also regarding soul, I relate better to and better appreciate the rich history and practices of Napa regarding wine culture and health food trends then I do with anything coming out of Atlanta today, considering I don't watch reality shows, care about sports or listen to hip hop. This isn't to say that Atlanta doesn't have a rich "soul". I just think those are rather subjective and individual based.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:36 PM

719 posts, read 493,511 times
Quote:
Er, so far this decade the Bay Area has won 3 world series' and 2 NBA titles(going to the finals 4 times)-how many pro sports championships has an Atlanta team won this decade? Asking for a friend.

The Bay Area hosted the Super Bowl recently, hosted America's Cup(the most prestigious boat race in the world), oh, and the Bay Area is home to more Olympic medalists than any metro area except LA.

Tiger Woods came out of Stanford, ever heard of him? Joe DiMaggio is from the East Bay. Ever heard of him? Tom Brady is from the Peninsula. Ever heard of him? Etc.

Yawns...

More people buy Hondas than Porsches as well.

SF scored higher than any other major metro as far as desirability, which the US News ranking determined based on the results of a survey taken by thousands of participants across the country.

Desirability Rating/Metro Area/#Overall Livability Rank
10.0 San Francisco#7
9.6 San Diego#36
9.1 Seattle#9
9.0 New York#90
8.8 Denver#2
8.7 Los Angeles#107
8.2 Phoenix#26
7.1 Washington DC#19
6.9 Dallas#21
6.9 Miami#113
6.8 Atlanta#57
6.8 Chicago#104
6.7 Boston#27
6.6 Tampa#56
6.5 Houston#30
6.5 Minneapolis#6
6.2 Philadelphia#102
6.1 Cleveland#85
6.0 Baltimore#100
5.9 St Louis#81
5.3 Detroit#93

Then why not stay in your lane? It's much safer for you there
Stay in my lane? Sir this is a PUBLIC internet forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City