Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2020, 10:16 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You can make an argument for either. Dallas has an argument because of its diverse economy but Houston has an industry it dominated in. An industry it dominated in which is something that Dallas doesn’t have.
Domination isn't always a good thing. I'm a native Houstonian and lived through Energy collapse of the 1980s. D/FW economy is more resilient given a very diverse business profile. For the 2010-2019 period, that energy sector for greater Houston peaked in the first five years of the decade and suffered in 2016 materially. It is not back two where it was pre-2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
While this is true, Houston always has had a boom/bust type economy, and the last few years have included a weak oil market as well as Hurricane Harvey. I don't think in and of itself, a larger economy makes DFW more important than Houston (which until recent years has generally had a larger economy despite being a smaller metro).

My top twenty list would look something like this:

1. NYC
2. DC
3. SF
4. LA
5. Houston
6. Chicago
7. Seattle
8. Boston
9. Atlanta
10. Dallas
11. Detroit
12. Miami
13. Denver
14. Minneapolis
15. Portland
16. Austin
17. Phoenix
18. St. Louis
19. Baltimore
20. Orlando

The way I look at importance is essentially the effect on the country if something happened to put the city out of commission for an extended period of time, which would Americans as a whole feel the most? Therefore you get a lot of outsized influence for cities that dominate certain areas/industries. I think 5 and 6 can go either way, and 8, 9, and 10 are pretty much interchangable in order. After 10 it starts getting a bit squirrely to rank cities.
Why would Los Angeles score so high? Its Seaport? Atlanta over D/FW!? DFW GDP dwarfs that of the Georgia Capital (over $100 Billion). DFW just on logistics is FAR larger with two airlines, three airports, rail connectivity, and is a telecom hub with ATT and Verizon based in D/FW or have major offices. D/FW is also the biggest financial hub in the south with Comerica, Capital One, Bank of America, Schwab, TD Ameritrade, Fidelity, Chase and Citibank based there or with large campuses in the region. Toyota, Schwab and McKesson now have HQs in DFW as well.

And Detroit AIN'T coming back while in no way should Austin and Phoenix be under Portland.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Another poster makes my point.
If you get what you pay for then SF shouldnt have such a high homeless rate where its so bad it keeos increasing yearly that it now being called a crisis. Crime in Atlanta is high but its the lowest in been in 40 years and no one is calling it a crisis.

All that and you still havent answered the most basic question I keep asking because all many of you on here want to do is win a pissing contest.

You want an argument with something I never claimed.Also you have some incorrect information.

Chicago is not known to be an expensive metro comparative to its size and other cities,Its not even in the top 10.Its one of the cheapest big cities

Atlanta Job Market

https://www.ajc.com/business/job-gro...ZpPp1HyPvRNvN/

It has the Fourth fastest growing tech market
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ive-years.html

Its also in the top 10 number of building projects
Metros with Population Over 1 Million
2017 2016 Metro State Projects
1 1 Chicago-Naperville-Elgin Ill.-Ind.-Wis. 402
2 3 Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land Texas 196
3 2 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington Texas 192
4 6 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell Ga. 131
5 4 New York-Newark-Jersey City N.Y.-N.J.-Pa. 128
6 5 Cincinnati Ohio-Ky.-Ind. 111
7 8 Columbus Ohio 99
8 7 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria D.C.-Va.-Md.-W.Va. 82
9 20 Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson Ind. 73
10 T18 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim Calif. 72

Here is another ranking of job growth of major metros but I could of sworn I posted a link to a graph in an earlier post.
rowth in Job Openings and Pay Across 10 Major U.S. Metros
Area Job Openings YoY % Median Base Pay YoY %
U.S. National 5,960,400 3.5% $54,179 2.1%
Boston 152,683 8.4% $61,987 2.8%
Philadelphia 112,692 6.4% $57,502 1.9%
Atlanta 122,889 5.5% $56,059 3.0%
Washington DC 192,174 5.2% $62,258 2.4%
Seattle 112,634 4.8% $63,980 2.6%
New York City 311,297 2.9% $64,749 2.3%
Los Angeles 219,451 2.0% $63,526 2.8%
Chicago 199,193 1.3% $58,504 2.3%
San Francisco 147,461 0.0% $73,861 3.0%
Houston 97,369 -2.3% $57,108

Caar teheft in Atlanta is no where near the top.California has several cities way ahead of Atlanta.SF may be the exception because less people have cars than in Atlanta.Why You think LA ranks so high?
Atlanta doesnt even break the top 20 but SF breaks the top 20 in propery crime.In fact,its number on in the US!
https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/ar...n-13267113.php

I give another example of people posting things about Atlanta and being disingenuous about it
You said Atlanta basically "hasnt done any new roads since the early90s" nor has it expanded MARTA.
Not quite true. GRTA is an express buss service that serves the suburbs to the city
MARTA started also serving another county (Clayton) since it was first formed in the 70s
Several large scale road projects have been undergone at least since the late 90s and recently this opened
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/8/1/...lanes-cherokee
Not to mention those on the South Side with the addition of lanes as well as new toll lanes.
Also a new streetcar system from the ground up is no easy task and its basically now useless as dunding in America is always the issue for mass transit but MARTA is in the process of using the money it was given by votes recently to expand around the city.Money is there so its just a matter of final details

Atlanta is cheaper not cheap. Using SF as a bell weather is pointless.Yes Atlanta is the cheapest of the largest metros but there are many other options of cities that compete with Atlanta and people can choose those as well as the often do.Cities like Charlotte,Dallas,Houston,Denver ,Austin etc.All are more costly than Atlanta .Its a silly myth that somehow Atlanta is the only city people can move to for "cheap" housing.
For what ever reason more people visit Atlanta as well as move to Atlanta than SF.That is a fact. Arguing why and all is a pointless exercise and clearly shows your bias rather than objectivity.
People can live or visit anywhere in the country they can afford.Yes SF is more desireable than Atlanta for many but having cheaper housing doesnt make Atlanta not desirable at all as it has more than just cheaper housing. Theres a reason more companies,people and visitors move and go there than SF.Whatever those reasons are like Atlanta's crime is irrelevant as it just is what it is.
Some good retorts but the transit infrastructure is AWFUL. I know because I've lived there and visited several times thereafter. Since the 1980s, MARTA Rail has expanded like THREE stations on the northline up GA 400. The street car is VERY limited in length. They have been talking for 25 years about building a second beltway, i.e. the outer perimeter and nothing even funded. Cobb and Gwinnett Counties refuse to join MARTA. You can't have 1.5 million people with limited bus and rail service.

Old 01-04-2020, 01:26 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,889,291 times
...page 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I don't "desire" to live anywhere where Atlantic Station is seen as a great walkable development. Oh wait, I forgot there's an aquarium, and parking at its not bad because downtown is so deserted.

Look, I get some people just want to drive their kids to soccer practice all day in their minivans, and think it's great that there are mall cops and piped in music at the only walkable neighborhood within 15 miles of their house. Freedom of choice all the way. But for an increasing number of people, gonna say this is not what they desire, but that's all you're getting in Atlanta.
^This lol
You Read My Mind.

Lol!! The Hyperbole (in bold)

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 01-04-2020 at 01:55 AM..

Old 01-04-2020, 01:29 AM

Quote:
You must have no trouble getting to sleep at night.
((Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
I currently live in Charlotte.))

You must have no trouble getting to sleep at night.

Amen to this

Old 01-04-2020, 01:29 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Some good retorts but the transit infrastructure is AWFUL. I know because I've lived there and visited several times thereafter. Since the 1980s, MARTA Rail has expanded like THREE stations on the northline up GA 400.
Yet this AWFUL transit has higher ridership than all of the Metroplex's rail systems combined. The Airport connection alone is on a different tier than DFW as well.

Quote:
The street car is VERY limited in length.
The Streetcar is our starter line for LRT. Thanks to the More MARTA tax increase passing by an overwhelming vote in the City, the Streetcar is about to be connected to the BeltLine on the East & Westside's.

Quote:
They have been talking for 25 years about building a second beltway, i.e. the outer perimeter and nothing even funded.
Wrong. It certainly was funded, there was massive pushback from the public, the Sierra Club and several other groups. It was a flawed proposal that was turning into a sprawl machine that would have chewed up the foothills of the Mountains and ruined North Georgia. I agree that there needs to be a solution for the massive interregional traffic that moves through the area, but that wasn't it. It helps to know the nuances of a situation before you spout off with a drive by remark.

Quote:
Cobb and Gwinnett Counties refuse to join MARTA. You can't have 1.5 million people with limited bus and rail service.
Cobb hasn't voted on MARTA in decades, so that's a false claim. Gwinnett would have and will pass to join when the State allows a vote in the general Election, and not forcing the vote during an off year Primary.

Your boasting and uber-homerism is a bad look for DFW

Old 01-04-2020, 01:31 AM

....page 13

Quote:
If soul = empty sidewalks and a deserted downtown, then yes, Atlanta's way ahead.
((Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Atlanta seems to have more of a soul than SF, no offense.))

If soul = empty sidewalks and a deserted downtown, then yes, Atlanta's way ahead.

I LIKE THIS GUY!!! Lol

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 01-04-2020 at 01:51 AM..

Old 01-04-2020, 01:47 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
((Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Atlanta seems to have more of a soul than SF, no offense.))

I LIKE THIS GUY!!! Lol
And you know any of this how? Empty sidewalks and a deserted Downtown apply to any city after a certain hour.

How familiar are you with the Downtown's of both to make any comparisons?

Old 01-04-2020, 03:53 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,715,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'll leave it to the Philly posters to break down the difference of where both places are.
Please don't, all we'll hear is how Philly is more important than New York, it's just that the evil Census Bureau refuses to recognize it.

Seattle has a busier airport and about 30% more int'l air traffic, and far more on foreign flag carriers. It feels way more relevant to the industries of the 2020s than Philly does.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:16 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Downtown SF is definitely more active in terms of pedestrian activity. They are even closing off Market St to cars to allow for safer pedestrian travel. I've driven through Downtown SF (big mistake - take BART.) and it was wall to wall pedestrians and traffic cops directing traffic.

I didn't take those photos above but that is pretty much what I saw when I went there last.

By soul what I mean is outside of seeing the tourism hotspots and the 9x5 grind, there didn't seem like much else to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City