Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2020, 06:25 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,355,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yet this AWFUL transit has higher ridership than all of the Metroplex's rail systems combined. The Airport connection alone is on a different tier than DFW as well.

The Streetcar is our starter line for LRT. Thanks to the More MARTA tax increase passing by an overwhelming vote in the City, the Streetcar is about to be connected to the BeltLine on the East & Westside's.

Wrong. It certainly was funded, there was massive pushback from the public, the Sierra Club and several other groups. It was a flawed proposal that was turning into a sprawl machine that would have chewed up the foothills of the Mountains and ruined North Georgia. I agree that there needs to be a solution for the massive interregional traffic that moves through the area, but that wasn't it. It helps to know the nuances of a situation before you spout off with a drive by remark.

Cobb hasn't voted on MARTA in decades, so that's a false claim. Gwinnett would have and will pass to join when the State allows a vote in the general Election, and not forcing the vote during an off year Primary.

Your boasting and uber-homerism is a bad look for DFW
I lived in metro Atlanta for several years. I think my comment was on overall transit infrastructure, i.e. trains, buses, highway and surface roads. Its an underwhelming mobility system relative the population growth since 1990. I am correct in that Cobb and Gwinnett want nothing to do with MARTA. I am correct in that the Outer Perimeter bypass highway, 30 years later remains a pipedream. I can recall Cobb County opened the East/West Connector and then there is the Reagan Parkway in Gwinnett. I offer no apologies for the truth which is the Atlanta region has done a poor job in addressing traffic/mobility.

In that time DFW has built a light rail grid that is six lines, a street car line, built a second beltway, built two major bridges and new tollroads to increase mobility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 10:56 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,891,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
How can Miami have a larger international influence than Seattle which is on the Pacific Rim, is a big seaport like Miami, borders another country and home to Global titans in Microsoft, Amazon and Boeing production? Expedia is also based there. Name a big company in Miami people around the world know that is based in Miami.
Carnival Cruise Ships!

Old 01-04-2020, 11:21 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
The following are Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the MSA:

160. Lennar Corporation (Miami), $16.4 billion
192. Office Depot (Boca Raton), $12.1 billion
205. World Fuel Services (Miami), $11.3 billion
212. AutoNation (Fort Lauderdale), $11 billion
426. Ryder System (Miami), $5 billion

Office Depot, with stores outside the US, is probably the best known of these companies. Royal Caribbean and its subsidiary, Celebrity Cruises, Spirit Airlines, Burger King and AutoNation are also headquartered in Miami MSA. Then again, not sure/doubt if people outside the US connect these with Miami more than someone might/doubt connect Amazon, Microsoft, Costco or Boeing with Seattle.

Annual events with attendees from around the globe—such as Art Basel, Ultra Music Festival, Miami and Ft Lauderdale International Boat Show, Art Deco Weekend and Miami Open (tennis)— should not be overlooked either. These are more likely associated with Miami than Fortune 500 companies on a global scale.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-04-2020 at 12:34 PM..

Old 01-04-2020, 12:19 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
It's pretty notable how many big cities don't have really major HQs. In addition to Miami, add Phoenix, Denver, Portland (Nike sorta counts), San Diego, and plenty others.

I haven't heard of those events, but no doubt Miami is on another tier for tourism. Between that and its leadership in Latin America, it has a much higher profile in Europe and Latin America.

GAWC isn't evidence of much other than branch offices of certain companies. There's a study behind it, but it's quoted mostly by people who have no idea of what it is.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
You can go to the TMC Wikipedia page or the actual website. The complex is ten blocks long and five blocks wide. Over 105,000 people work there.
The first heart transplant in north America took place there.
The Life Flight Helicopter program that is now global began at the TMC.
TMC has three teaching hospitals - Baylor, University of Texas and Prairie View.

US News & World Report annually ranks in the top five in America for their specialty:
1. MD Anderson Cancer Center:
2. Texas Heart Institute:
3. Texas Children's Hospital:
4. Texas institute for Recovery and Rehabilitation.
5. Texas Methodist Hospital
6. The Menninger Clinic was ranked as No. 5 in the country for adult psychiatry care.
https://www.tmc.edu/about-tmc/facts-and-figures/

https://www.tmc.edu/news/2018/08/tex...-nations-best/
More of the same...not evidence. My request was "evidence that Houston has a large medical sector".

That wasn't about "best" or how much things are clustered in one district.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:55 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
A few people have provided a top 15-20 list and many do not include San Diego (the 17th most populous region and economy), but have included a few of the following:
  • Orlando
  • Tampa
  • Denver
  • Phoenix
  • Charlotte
  • Portland
  • Cleveland
  • Pittsburgh
  • Austin
  • Nashville
  • Baltimore
I get that San Diego is often overlooked being in the corner of the country (and overshadowed by LA). It also has a military and/or vacation town reputation. But frankly, I don't see how most of these regions will become more important than San Diego in 2030. Someone want to explain this to me? Just a few tidbits about the SD region:
  • Top 5 in innovation/tech
  • International trade/movement powerhouse (airport, seaport, land ports); busiest border in the world; 4th largest binational region in the world
  • Arguably the most critical military region in the country (top 3 for sure); largest navy fleet in the world + shipbuilding
  • One of the largest agricultural-producing counties in country
  • One of the top tourism cities (leisure, as well as business).
  • Home to multiple attractions (zoo, parks, etc.) that are some of the most visited in the country/world.
  • SD's GDP is $245B. This is nearly $100B more than Pittsburgh, Nashville, Austin, Portland, Tampa, Pittsburgh). $75B more than Charlotte and $30-40B more than Baltimore and Denver. It's actually somewhat laughable when someone claims Orlando will be more significant.
  • SD's absolute GDP growth 2013-2018 was higher than every city on this list (except Phoenix, which has 1.5M more people), as well as Detroit and Minneapolis.
  • It had the 8th highest GDP growth per capita, far higher than these other cities.
Given the hard power and soft power of San Diego, I'm just not sure how places like Orlando would rival San Diego in 10 years. Orlando's entire relevance is being the largest theme park and top 5 business conference destination in the U.S. San Diego manages to be the third largest theme park and top 5 business conference destination, but still cultivate a huge tech sector, international trade sector, agriculture economy, military presence, etc.

Austin's claim to fame is tech...but San Diego has produced significantly more "innovation" jobs than Austin, has more patents (total and per capita), is a global biotech/life sciences hub, and has a better university-tech relationship. And on top of this, it manages to be a more prominent military hub, agricultural economy, tourist destination, etc.

I think it comes down to media perception and pretty superficial measures of importance. San Diego doesn't have as much name recognition in a few categories...sports teams, Fortune 500, or airport hub. It doesn't have the crazy 20%+ growth rates, but a steady 8%. For that reason, I feel like it has more "behind-the-scenes" impact/importance.
  • Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh are currently a similar tier to San Diego, but are not on an upwards trajectory (yet). They are treading water, just trying to re-invent themselves and stop hemorrhaging people.
  • Orlando, Phoenix, Tampa are nationally irrelevant with the exception of 1-2 notable amenities.
  • Austin and Nashville are booming, which gets significant hype. But their impact and national importance is still relatively limited. I'd argue that their cultural impact is stronger than San Diego's, but nothing beyond that.
  • Portland, Charlotte, and Denver are really the only ones that have the existing national importance, as well as strong future prospects. I think Denver will surpass San Diego in importance, if it hasn't already. Charlotte has a good shot. Portland's rising as fast as San Diego, so it's unlikely since SD has a head start.

Old 01-04-2020, 01:05 PM

San Diego's standout areas seem to be about life sciences and the military. You have other good points but included a lot that's not relevant too.

SD deserves more credit, but I'd debate some context.

I don't think it's a huge center for conventions. Wasn't the #5 thing about quality, not size? The main convention center isn't very big...it wants to expand but is having a hard time doing it.

As an innovation center, the #5 is one definition (SF/SJ, Sea, Bos, SD). Other definitions have SD a bit lower. That particular study, iirc, counted only companies with over 50% of their staff in STEM positions, and had their own methodology for what they counted and how. It would be extremely easy to put NY, LA, and other cities above SD, Seattle, or Boston.

The SD airport is a serious problem. You'll never had great air service without a second runway, and this will hamper corporate and convention growth.

PS it has one of the more vibrant downtowns in the US outside the obvious leaders. Fifth is one of my favorite streets.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:18 PM

79 posts, read 53,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Now this part I do understand and agree with. California is - you're either rich or you're homeless, Atlanta is a much better suite for livability for average incomes between the two. That I understand and agree with... Thing is that I don't think many take into acount however is salaries in SF are much much much higher than they are in Atlanta. Many of them do require you to be in a professional field or professional level at your field. My personal opinion is, if you ARE at that level, you get more out of SF than you do ATL, If you're NOT at that level, living in SF would be hell.

Are you comparing Atlanta with the whole state of California? By the way, I know many people who work in SF who live in surrounding Bay areas.One is my daughter in law who commutes to Petaluma. Isn't this true of NY city also, that low wage workers commute to Queens or elsewhere, and the higher income folks live in Connecticut (for example)?

I am a Californian who owns her own house, and I am not rich. But I know what you are saying though...many of the young people will never own a house if they remain in California. Daughter moved to DFW area and owns a new house for nearly $300,000 which would go for $500-700,000 if was sold in California-maybe more according to where it is located.

I have been to San Francisco many times, and some of you people's comments are hyper-focused on the homeless and drugs. Yes, they are there, but I am trying to figure out where some of you visit when you step on turds and needles? It sounds like an easy word association that isn't fully explored. It is a beautiful city.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:21 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
San Diego's standout areas seem to be about life sciences and the military. You have other good points but included a lot that's not relevant too.
But is that not alone more significant than half the cities on this list?

Which parts did you feel were not relevant?

Quote:
I don't think it's a huge center for conventions. Wasn't the #5 thing about quality, not size? The main convention center isn't very big...it wants to expand but is having a hard time doing it.
I wasn't referencing to a specific facility. Also, I was referring to "conferences" as an umbrella for meetings and conventions. The SD Convention Center on its own isn't a particularly massive facility. It's 7th in overall size, but it has much less exhibition space. I took into consideration other measures/reports:
  • San Diego has 135+ conference hotels. (not including current constructions, such as 1.1-million SF conference hotel, with over 1,000 rooms in two 350' towers on the waterfront). San Diego leisure and business tourism is booming.
  • 4th in the nation, based on sheer volume (bookings) and general interest.
  • The City also has a March 2020 ballot to expand the convention center (may not pass given high threshold)
  • San Diego does have the most culturally-impactful convention, Comic Con.
I guess this is another example of San Diego flying under the radar. It hosts a massive amount of conferences, but because its largest facility isn't correspondingly massive, people underestimate its importance.

Quote:
As an innovation center, the #5 is one definition (SF/SJ, Sea, Bos, SD). Other definitions have SD a bit lower. That particular study, iirc, counted only companies with over 50% of their staff in STEM positions, and had their own methodology for what they counted and how. It would be extremely easy to put NY, LA, and other cities above SD, Seattle, or Boston.
There are many measures for this, which is why I also provided the patent information that covers a broader measure of innovation (which obviously isn't everything). SD outranked Seattle, but fell behind NYC, Chicago, and LA). I'm perfectly satisfied if San Diego (pop. 3.4M) ranks slightly behind regions with 2.5-5 times as many people. I think the larger point is that it completely outperforms these other metros as a whole...even the ones who's main claim is tech.

Quote:
The SD airport is a serious problem. You'll never had great air service without a second runway, and this will hamper corporate and convention growth.
I'm not sure SD's long-term airport capacity makes it "less important" going into the 2020s (which I interpret as 2020-2030 as a frame of reference....not 2050). As we speak, it is growing robustly and there is still room to grow. The airport authority is rebuilding Terminal 1 by 2023, adding more skyways and increasing passenger capacity. You can also walk across the border into the Tijuana airport terminal, which opens up all of Mexico. SD's airport is more significant than half the cities on my initial list.

The fact that SDIA passengers grew 9.5% YOY (20% in international passengers) shows that San Diego is increasingly important heading into the 2020s, especially considering that San Diego is the destination, not just some hub that people pass through. But again, if people care more about size than performance...

It will be a problem long-term, but it doesn't seem to be an issue now. I mean, the single runway didn't stop SD from getting the Japan Airlines nonstop to Tokyo (one of the highest load factors for Japan-North America flights) and setting up the UCSD Life Sciences center in central Tokyo. Japanese investment in San Diego companies has surged.

I'd like to see an argument, city vs. city comparison, of how any one of these cities is more important than San Diego going into 2020 (I took out Denver):
  • Orlando
  • Tampa
  • Phoenix
  • Charlotte
  • Portland
  • Cleveland
  • Pittsburgh
  • Austin
  • Nashville
  • Baltimore

Last edited by newgensandiego; 01-04-2020 at 03:44 PM..

Old 01-04-2020, 04:00 PM

3,526 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Carnival Cruise Ships!
*add every other cruise company*

Miami has monopolized the cruise industry through and through
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City