Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2020, 09:12 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
This might be a great argument for "maybe it should be in the top 25, but maybe not." There are no good arguments here.

The seemingly-best points could be simple aggregation...for example you have one big airport vs. multiple airports like Miami. The #7 research park sounds really low, especially since most of the really big research cities aren't centered on research parks. Otherwise the takeaway is you have a lot of visitors, and there are no major HQs.
Orlando has more than just one big airport... There are 3 major airports serving the MSA, with two within 30 minutes of each other. Same as Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 09:16 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Orlando has more than just one big airport... There are 3 major airports serving the MSA, with two within 30 minutes of each other.
Majoris over 10 million passengers a year. So yes, Orlando has one major airport, MCO. Not Sanford, Not Melbourne. Just MCO... which is 42 million pax, most leisure.

In Boston we dont call MHT or PVD or ORH or PWM major airports....

Old 01-10-2020, 09:24 AM

3,142 posts, read 2,043,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Why would Los Angeles score so high? Its Seaport? Atlanta over D/FW!? DFW GDP dwarfs that of the Georgia Capital (over $100 Billion). DFW just on logistics is FAR larger with two airlines, three airports, rail connectivity, and is a telecom hub with ATT and Verizon based in D/FW or have major offices. D/FW is also the biggest financial hub in the south with Comerica, Capital One, Bank of America, Schwab, TD Ameritrade, Fidelity, Chase and Citibank based there or with large campuses in the region. Toyota, Schwab and McKesson now have HQs in DFW as well.

And Detroit AIN'T coming back while in no way should Austin and Phoenix be under Portland.
To answer your questions in order:

Los Angeles scores high because of its domination of an industry (worldwide entertainment), its seaport, the number of innovations/patents that come out of the metro, etc. It's a very important city.

I think Atlanta is more important than DFW because its the primate city for the entire US southeast. DFW isn't even the primate city/region in Texas. Neither dominates in any industry in particular, and both are logistics hubs of the highest order - two of the top three inland hubs in the country (along with Chicago). You say DFW is far larger on logistics with two airlines and three airports (i'm curious where this third commercial airport is by the way), yet Atlanta moves 20 million more passengers through its single airport than there are at DFW and Love Field combined.

Corporate headquarters alone don't make a place important, especially when the majority of those corporations are not home-grown companies and could easily move again in the future. I think Atlanta is also culturally much more important than DFW.

As far as Detroit goes, it's still an extremely important city and the center of the U.S. auto industry, which in and of itself is still extremely important and large.

And I can probably agree with you on Austin/Phoenix/Portland - once you start getting below the top 15 or so things are harder to rank.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Majoris over 10 million passengers a year. So yes, Orlando has one major airport, MCO. Not Sanford, Not Melbourne. Just MCO... which is 42 million pax, most leisure.

In Boston we dont call MHT or PVD or ORH or PWM major airports....
I should've omitted the word "major."

The poster I replied to stated that Orlando has one big airport, while Miami has multiple airports.
My counter-argument was and is that Orlando also has multiple airports. That point stands. One isn't limited to MCO.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:33 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
I should've omitted the word "major."

The poster I replied to stated that Orlando has one big airport, while Miami has multiple airports.
My counter-argument was and is that Orlando also has multiple airports. That point stands. One isn't limited to MCO.
One is not limited to Orlando, by any means. NY would have two, not three, if LGA never had distance regulations... Boston, Philly, Cleveland, Seattle, San Diego, Tampa, Raleigh, Charlotte, Austin ... all have one major airport.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:44 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Not sure I would call SD, Cleveland, Raleigh or Austin major airports—in my book you need to be a hub airport for a legacy carrier to be considered major.

Quote:
One is not limited to Orlando, by any means. NY would have two, not three, if LGA never had distance regulations... Boston, Philly, Cleveland, Seattle, San Diego, Tampa, Raleigh, Charlotte, Austin ... all have one major airport.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:55 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,430,725 times
Quote:
Orlando has one major airport, MCO. Not Sanford, Not Melbourne. Just MCO... which is 42 million pax, most leisure.
MCO actually handled 50.1 million passengers in 2019, and no it is not "just leisure", Orlando is actually a huge market for business travel mostly driven by meetings/conventions and contractor work, it is also home to a population of over 3 million residents who believe it or not fly in and out of MCO for reasons other than "just leisure", I also know many folks in other Florida regions (Tampa/St. Pete, Melbourne, Daytona, even Miami etc.) that drive/train to Orlando to access better flight options out of MCO and in some cases to catch direct international flights that are not available from other Florida airports.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:08 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Same here.
Those of you so quick to dismiss it, or saying "only because of Disney World" are rather clueless. There's a large, booming city that exists completely isolated from Disney.
Top 20 easily.

I agree with Masssachoicetts that some of the growth may be "unsustainable," but that remains to be seen.
Miami faced similar criticism a decade or two ago, (and still does) and it seems to be doing just fine.
Top 20 yes, but in the group with Philadelphia Atlanta and Dallas? Not even close...

I was responding to the one poster who put Orlando in that boat, my apologies if I was dismissive, I meant to be realistic in that I don't see how under any circumstances Orlando would be in the same boat at the cities I mentioned above.

Last edited by cpomp; 01-10-2020 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-10-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Top 20 yes, but in the group with Philadelphia Atlanta and Dallas? Not even close...

I was responding to the one poster who put Orlando in that boat, my apologies if I was dismissive, I meant to be realistic in that I don't see how under any circumstances Orlando would be in the same boat at the cities I mentioned above.
On no I absolutely agree with you there. It's in no way, shape or form Atlanta, Philly, Dallas, nor will it be any time soon (if ever.)
But I'd lump it in with the Nashville and Phoenix crowd.

It's just in an odd position because so much of its economy is, in fact, tourist-driven, and it is mainly known for its tourist district. Meanwhile, the city proper is doing all that it can to distance itself from that image.

Anyway, it's in the top 15-20 range for me.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:15 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Not sure I would call SD, Cleveland, Raleigh or Austin major airports—in my book you need to be a hub airport for a legacy carrier to be considered major.
Major airports by FAA definition operate at a minimum 1% of total US air traffic at any given time so if they meet that criteria they’d be “major” airports
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City