Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2021, 07:59 PM

626 posts, read 463,777 times

Advertisements

Miami should be near the top just from how unique it is to the first world, let alone the U.S. It's only one of a couple and by far the largest tropical urban beach environments in the entire first world. Singapore, Honolulu and Miami that's it.

It's also pretty much the most important city to a whole bunch of other countries and near the top for importance for many others around the world. Not many U.S. cities can say that. The area is also important to the greatest city in the world NYC and to many other states all over the U.S. The huge skylines on gorgeous settings are super unique to the U.S. too. I can go on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 08:16 PM

824 posts, read 712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Miami should be near the top just from how unique it is to the first world, let alone the U.S. It's only one of a couple and by far the largest tropical urban beach environments in the entire first world. Singapore, Honolulu and Miami that's it.

It's also pretty much the most important city to a whole bunch of other countries and near the top for importance for many others around the world. Not many U.S. cities can say that. The area is also important to the greatest city in the world NYC and to many other states all over the U.S. The huge skylines on gorgeous settings are super unique to the U.S. too. I can go on and on.
I think you could argue that Miami is the most important outside of NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, and the Bay Area, however the population gap between Miami and Dallas/Houston might make that claim difficult. Also, outside the plausibility of Cuba and Haiti, I don’t see how Miami is the most important city for any country.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
I think you could argue that Miami is the most important outside of NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, and the Bay Area, however the population gap between Miami and Dallas/Houston might make that claim difficult. Also, outside the plausibility of Cuba and Haiti, I don’t see how Miami is the most important city for any country.

Just Google "capital of Latin America". Add Miami in the search if you wanna get mind blown. You think they call it that cause of Cuba and Haiti? It's almost like a promised land to a bunch of South American countries.

More people around the world and the U.S. know a whole bunch of different things and stereotypes about Miami compared to all but a couple U.S. cities.

Miami city proper gets more international tourists than Los Angeles city proper while being much smaller. Fort Lauderdale alone gets about the same amount of international tourists as Dallas, Houston and Atlanta. (not combined) I have a good government source for that if you want.

The Miami metro gained more people than any other Florida metro from 2010-2020. Florida has also been the second fastest growing state for like two decades now and Miami is it's Alpha area. That sounds to me like more and more people are realizing how important it is to them, celebrities and wealthy are flocking down there etc.

Then when you compare Miami's unique nightlife to pretty much every other city in the U.S. it becomes even more important to the U.S. and the world. It's just a really unique place when you look at the total picture and unique combination of factors that they have down there. The U.S. would be at a great loss if the Miami area didnt exist like it does in its current state.

Last edited by popka; 09-20-2021 at 09:48 PM..

Old 09-20-2021, 08:59 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,468 times
Miami can't be the "capital of Latin America" when it isn't in Latin America.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:02 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Popka is exaggerating. But Miami is definitely the capital of Latin America. Not every single country in Latin America has its biggest Mecca in Miami but as whole it takes it. It’s as much of a Hispanic Mecca if not more as Atlanta is a black Mecca.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Hey Master Google decides not me.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:55 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
John Guinther, in his 1946 book Inside U.S.A., wrote in his chapter on Kansas that Kansas City, Mo., was the capital of a state it isn't even in.

A "capital" in that sense need not necessarily be the seat of the government.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:06 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I don’t think biotech as an industry will take off. But that’s not holding Boston back at all while it’s still America’s intellectual capital. Why do you think #7 is low? That’s extremely high
That’s a really bold position to take. Life sciences, healthcare, higher Ed, and philanthropy all have their base in Boston. Not to mention the massive amounts of venture capital, foreign RE investment, textiles (PUMA REEBOK CONVERSE NEW BALANCE), financial management (Liberty Mutual, Fidelity, State Street, Amica etc), only mature cannabis market in the eastern US, a growing an KD revitalized industrial port. Add to this it’s a major hub for film and sports media as well.

even without biotech Boston still #6 because it’s a recession proof 360 economy with massive venture capital, inward immigration, and an educated populace. Anything below #7 wouldn’t even make sense. #3 is too high. But 5-7 is about right. I’d say #6, way more than biotech and higher ed eminating out of Boston

Old 09-20-2021, 10:59 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
That’s a really bold position to take. Life sciences, healthcare, higher Ed, and philanthropy all have their base in Boston. Not to mention the massive amounts of venture capital, foreign RE investment, textiles (PUMA REEBOK CONVERSE NEW BALANCE), financial management (Liberty Mutual, Fidelity, State Street, Amica etc), only mature cannabis market in the eastern US, a growing an KD revitalized industrial port. Add to this it’s a major hub for film and sports media as well.

even without biotech Boston still #6 because it’s a recession proof 360 economy with massive venture capital, inward immigration, and an educated populace. Anything below #7 wouldn’t even make sense. #3 is too high. But 5-7 is about right. I’d say #6, way more than biotech and higher ed eminating out of Boston
This yeah. 5-6 is appropriate. Its also one of the 5 alpha cities in the country too.

Old 09-20-2021, 11:29 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
This yeah. 5-6 is appropriate. Its also one of the 5 alpha cities in the country too.
True, Idk how or why people think Boston is a one-trick pony- it's pretty much as far from that as you could possibly get. Its an economic juggernaut in multiple fields and a leading innovator of all things important. I meet so many people who think its a tinker toy town with sports fans and college students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City