Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2021, 03:22 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Atlanta would definitely be downgraded as a black Mecca being located between two black Meccas
Huh? And who are the two other supposed Black meccas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 03:24 AM

325 posts, read 204,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
To conclude, I wonder if S.A. will ever be seen more than just a tourist destination. Many people aren't aware that S.A. is any of these things, and that smaller cities with less oomph are considered superior or of more importance.
Demographers are saying the SA/Austin area is going to hit 6-7 million people by 2030. Since Schertz/Cibolo/New Braunfels/San Marcos/Kyle are all growing extremely fast, it really wouldn't surprise me if it ends up like DFW or at least a CSA. Austin is growing at a crazy fast pace, but so is San Antonio and the suburbs in between both. I'm surprised more people aren't paying attention to the area as a whole.

Old 09-22-2021, 06:07 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
So does the Tristate area but Atlantic City and New London aren’t the same city.
Just FYI, New London is not in the tri state by any stretch. New London culturally (and everything else) is much more in Boston’s orbit than NYCs and borders the Boston CSA

Old 09-22-2021, 06:21 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Huh? And who are the two other supposed Black meccas?
You know my entire post is about Philly being between New York and DC. Atlanta's Black population is still Smaller than New York's and it wasn't that long ago Atlanta passed DC.

You think Atlanta would be attracting the large black population it attracts between DC (the original black Mecca) and NY? Atlanta is the biggest city for hundreds of miles in the South East. It has outpaced its competition decades ago and now they are not as significant.

Philadelphia on the other hand has been fending of competition from New York and Boston, and Later DC for
Hundreds of years and it is still a powerhouse.

You are welcome to think that Atlanta would be the Mecca for AA's if it was situated where Philly is but I strongly disagree. I am hoping that I get to see a decent number of future decades so I can see if Atlanta is still regarded as it is regarded today if places like Nashville and Charlotte continue booming along with a flood of smaller metros such as Raleigh and Greenville coming up too.

I am not saying it will not still be the biggest in the south east. But will the importance still be the same? Doubt it.
It's airport for example is just to big to be challenged in the region but will the airport retain THE SAME stature with growing metros around it?

Atlanta is deservedly an important US city but this is just opinion and my opinion is I rank important based on unique industries more heavily than importance based on location. DFW is the really hard one for me because it is by far the biggest metro not in the top 6 but it is that way because it is smack dab in the middle of the countrywith nothing major around it

Old 09-22-2021, 08:31 AM

914 posts, read 561,339 times
Boston is not just Higher Ed. It's also Medical/Life Sciences (and related Tech) and Investment Management (and related Tech).

Old 09-22-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Boston is not just Higher Ed. It's also Medical/Life Sciences (and related Tech) and Investment Management (and related Tech).
As I noted in a previous post-it's also a leader in clothing/footwear/textiles (Reebok, New Balance, Converse, Puma and more). And is the philanthropic hub of the US on a per capita basis, and #3 in nonprofit asset values behind only NYC and Chicago. That stuff is very important.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:44 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Just FYI, New London is not in the tri state by any stretch. New London culturally (and everything else) is much more in Boston’s orbit than NYCs and borders the Boston CSA
Yeah and AC is not in the tri state either. It's part of Philly's orbit with lots of Philly influence all over the place.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Yeah and AC is not in the tri state either. It's part of Philly's orbit with lots of Philly influence all over the place.
Yeah good point I overlooked that glaring example

Old 09-22-2021, 01:55 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Philly influence extends all the way up to Seaside.. then NY prevails.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Philly influence extends all the way up to Seaside.. then NY prevails.
*or Trenton. Trenton, although in the NYC CSA, is much more tied in with Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City