Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2021, 04:24 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Correct - I actually think they get some local Boston stations too in New London. Totally an underrated and low key beautiful area that's super important to our national defense.
New London does get some Boston stations. I had a boss who commuted to Boston from New London. I also worked for a gym floor installation company in Boston and we did work for the Coast Guard. All the way out to Brookfield CT, north all the way in to the Lakes region of New Hampshire..

New London is what they would Call “Southern New England” on WPRI in Providence... New London is covered by WPRI as good amount. The vibe, look, pace, industrial history, demography, athletic allegiances, all tilt heavily toward Boston/Providence

New York Takes over when you get southwest/west of Hartford. East of Hartford and Middletown is Boston. Hartford and Middletown both contain NESCAC schools (so does New London) and aren't in either CSA. They're true Connecticut, 50:50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 05:49 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That happens often on here. Philadelphia is a global center for higher education and healthcare, major presence in law, insurance, finance, home to one of the worlds largest media conglomerates, a booming life sciences hub, history, etc.

I agree with your ranking. It will be interesting to see if Philadelphia closes the gap with other life sciences hubs this decade, the momentum is certainly there.
Philly is almost too balanced. So it doesn’t stand out as much in any single industry

Old 09-22-2021, 06:06 PM

809 posts, read 468,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
New London does get some Boston stations. I had a boss who commuted to Boston from New London. I also worked for a gym floor installation company in Boston and we did work for the Coast Guard. All the way out to Brookfield CT, north all the way in to the Lakes region of New Hampshire..

New London is what they would Call “Southern New England” on WPRI in Providence... New London is covered by WPRI as good amount. The vibe, look, pace, industrial history, demography, athletic allegiances, all tilt heavily toward Boston/Providence

New York Takes over when you get southwest/west of Hartford. East of Hartford and Middletown is Boston. Hartford and Middletown both contain NESCAC schools (so does New London) and aren't in either CSA. They're true Connecticut, 50:50.
As a NESCAC grad myself, Conn. Coll and Trinity feel very CT. Trinity does have a contingent of aspiring NYC/Finance finance bros, but thank goodness the Squash team brings an int'l flavor to the school (good PR and Jamaican food nearby the campus too). Conn Coll. is like the NESCAC's little sister who is adorable and polite - nothing too flashy about that place but nice. Wesleyan has a slight NY lean due to the big arts presence otherwise Middletown is solidly CT and a nice progressive town. All schools listed above are properly Southern New England.

For the OP, I think we'll need to see how Covid-19 impacts knowledge workers to determine what will happen to cities in the 2020s. Google just made a $2B investment into NYC so that bodes well for the city along with the incoming can-do likely mayor. Boston is firing on all cylinders and Philly appears to be having a creative renaissance, along with DC (this tends to happen when Dems get back in office there).

I'm curious about Miami and whether it'll become a proper tech and cryptocurrency hub.

Boise and SLC appear to have solid growth so far along with the usual suspects such as Austin, Charlotte, Nashville, and Raleigh.

Atlanta and Chicago will always be present because of their diverse economies.

SF needs to stop navel gazing and fix its problems while charting an aspirational course for the future. Not too sure about LA, but its size and weather will always give it some appeal.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:12 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
I know- that doesn't cover New London or Atlantic City
And while Trenton is in the New York CSA, it's in the Philadelphia media market.

Atlantic City is in the Philadelphia CSA.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:48 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Since we're talking about the future, here is a current state of affairs from Crunchbase regarding investments in the tech industry. I am very excited to see money and start up activity fan out from the Bay Area--this is long overdue and good for the country.

As of September 15, 2021

Scale up Companies: Have raised $1 Million+
7,894 Bay Area
3,498 New York
1,713 Los Angeles
1,155 Texas(Austin/Dallas/Houston)
1,039 Boston
655 Seattle
602 Chicago
353 Atlanta
195 Miami
30,007 US Total

Scaler: # of Companies raising $100 Million+
748 Bay Area
226 New York
92 Los Angeles
91 Boston
61 Texas(Austin/Dallas/Houston)
34 Chicago
23 Seattle
21 Atlanta
8 Miami
1,960 US Total

Super Scaler: # of Companies raising $1 Billion+
59 Bay Area
6 Los Angeles
4 New York
3 Boston
1 Atlanta
1 Miami
1 Texas(Austin/Dallas/Houston)
0 Chicago
0 Seattle
86 US Total

Total Capital Raised:
$501.3 Billion Bay Area
$102.8 Billion New York
$59.9 Billion Los Angeles
$40.6 Billion Boston
$28.8 Billion Texas(Austin/Dallas/Houston)
$15.5 Billion Chicago
$13.4 Billion Seattle
$12.5 Billion Atlanta
$4.2 Billion Miami
$1.010 Trillion US Total

Source: Crunchbase
https://news.crunchbase.com/news/sil...lley-startups/

The first thing that came to mind was Miami could leverage it's relationship with the elite of Latin America to get capital for start ups, preferably by Latin American founders- some reason this is the first thought that came to mind after looking at this data.

Old 09-23-2021, 05:51 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If I google Tri-state area, All of Nj/CT and bay south of the CT Border line. (A couple just highlight all of all 3 states)

Kind of proves Tru Stare Area area and NY metro are not equal
“Bay south of ct border line”?

New London isn't the tri state area. Not one person thinks it is.

Old 09-23-2021, 06:01 AM

1,094 posts, read 808,185 times
I feel that the order is mostly the same as the 2010s with a few changes
1.New York
2.LA
3.SF
4.Chicago
5.Atlanta
6.Dallas
7.Houston
8.Miami
9.Nashville
10.San Diego (I guess)

Old 09-23-2021, 06:04 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
“Bay south of ct border line”?

New London isn't the tri state area. Not one person thinks it is.
"Tri-State Area" also varies depending on one's perspective.

From where I sit, it consists of the states of Delaware, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

(And yes, you will hear and see businesses in the "Delaware Valley" refer to themselves with the term "tri-state" in advertising.)

The specific region consists of: New Jersey below the old East Jersey/West Jersey dividing line (the Burlington/Ocean county border, with Mercer County, which the line splits in two, falling on the West Jersey side of it); the five counties of Southeast Pennsylvania (plus maybe the two of the Lehigh Valley); and New Castle County in Delaware.

Old 09-23-2021, 06:30 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Possible….Blackstone, Founders Fund (Peter Thiel and Keith Rabois) SoftBank and Thoma Bravo have committed to the area along with Microsoft which just signed a 50,000 sq ft lease (it’s a start) in Brickell in what will become its Latin America regional hub—so maybe some capital from Latin America (if not more American investment) will emerge.

https://www.miamitodaynews.com/2021/...latin-america/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Since we're talking about the future, here is a current state of affairs from Crunchbase regarding investments in the tech industry. I am very excited to see money and start up activity fan out from the Bay Area--this is long overdue and good for the country.

As of September 15, 2021

Scale up Companies: Have raised $1 Million+
7,894 Bay Area
3,498 New York
1,713 Los Angeles
1,155 Texas(Austin/Dallas/Houston)
1,039 Boston
655 Seattle
602 Chicago
353 Atlanta
195 Miami
30,007 US Total

Scaler: # of Companies raising $100 Million+
748 Bay Area
226 New York
92 Los Angeles
91 Boston
61 Texas(Austin/Dallas/Houston)
34 Chicago
23 Seattle
21 Atlanta
8 Miami
1,960 US Total

Super Scaler: # of Companies raising $1 Billion+
59 Bay Area
6 Los Angeles
4 New York
3 Boston
1 Atlanta
1 Miami
1 Texas(Austin/Dallas/Houston)
0 Chicago
0 Seattle
86 US Total

Total Capital Raised:
$501.3 Billion Bay Area
$102.8 Billion New York
$59.9 Billion Los Angeles
$40.6 Billion Boston
$28.8 Billion Texas(Austin/Dallas/Houston)
$15.5 Billion Chicago
$13.4 Billion Seattle
$12.5 Billion Atlanta
$4.2 Billion Miami
$1.010 Trillion US Total

Source: Crunchbase
https://news.crunchbase.com/news/sil...lley-startups/

The first thing that came to mind was Miami could leverage it's relationship with the elite of Latin America to get capital for start ups, preferably by Latin American founders- some reason this is the first thought that came to mind after looking at this data.

Old 09-23-2021, 06:40 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Possible….Blackstone, Founders Fund (Peter Thiel and Keith Rabois) SoftBank and Thoma Bravo have committed to the area along with Microsoft which just signed a 50,000 sq ft lease (it’s a start) in Brickell in what will become its Latin America regional hub—so maybe some capital from Latin America (if not more American investment) will emerge.

https://www.miamitodaynews.com/2021/...latin-america/
Peter Thiel ugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City