Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 06:13 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
That’s literally what I said.
You missed the “Certain years” and “parts” (not meaning most). Specifically, 15-17. Other than that stretch, it’s outgrown the majority of the sunbelt in both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 06:15 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
That’s literally what I said.
I could see why you would make the original statement though. Dallas has a stellar last 5 years while Houston was in the slump. Since they are in the same state is not hard to start making comparisons. Then throw in all the Austin talk and it really looks like there's nothing happening in Houston.

But expand that 5 years to 10 and they pull even. Expand that to 20 and you see Houston is a ton more steady than the last 5 years make it seem.

That's why I'm hesitant to make long term projections with short term data. For example in the BEA thread it looks like SF only recently jumped a few cities to rise on the charts. But looking ask the way back 20 years you see SF was already up there and had fallen behind the same cities it overtook last decade.
The reverse happened to Houston. It passed SF, Dallas and those retook the lead.
I am guessing that this type of jostling keeps going on every decade so I would think hard before I put money on such and such cities gdp passing another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
You missed the “Certain years” and “parts” (not meaning most). Specifically, 15-17. Other than that stretch, it’s outgrown the majority of the sunbelt in both
Technical she is right. Whether you say certain number of years or not, Houston was indeed growing slower than the rest of the sunbelt and she was under the impression that it still was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City