Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Largest in town feel?
Atlanta 24 25.53%
Detroit 3 3.19%
Minneapolis 3 3.19%
Austin 5 5.32%
Seattle 59 62.77%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 03:14 PM

4,393 posts, read 4,635,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I grew up in Atlanta and love the city but it is the worst city for economic mobility and income inequality in the nation. People wonder why crime is so bad in Atlanta but it's pretty obvious when you have extreme poverty next to extreme wealth.
Yeah as much as I love Atlanta it’s disappointing to see a city with such a Black legacy have to pretty much end up like the majority of major cities in America when it comes to comes to gentrification and the displacement of Black people for an affordable better way of life. Would be nice if Black families could benefit from the same amounts of economic wealth as White Families in the city and south of I-20 but that’s not the case. When I lived in Atlanta didn’t really noticed the disparity till me and my Wife started looking into moving back. I realized if I wanted the balance of good schools/ QOL/ and diversity I have to move to the Northern burbs. Now in itself that’s not a big problem but it’s no different than a Houston or DFW. Wife got cold feet and I had my reservations as well so we decided let’s just stay in Texas. Until we’re there with our careers than well reconsider the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 11:08 PM

37,898 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yeah as much as I love Atlanta it’s disappointing to see a city with such a Black legacy have to pretty much end up like the majority of major cities in America when it comes to comes to gentrification and the displacement of Black people for an affordable better way of life. Would be nice if Black families could benefit from the same amounts of economic wealth as White Families in the city and south of I-20 but that’s not the case. When I lived in Atlanta didn’t really noticed the disparity till me and my Wife started looking into moving back. I realized if I wanted the balance of good schools/ QOL/ and diversity I have to move to the Northern burbs. Now in itself that’s not a big problem but it’s no different than a Houston or DFW. Wife got cold feet and I had my reservations as well so we decided let’s just stay in Texas. Until we’re there with our careers than well reconsider the move.
If Atlanta were able to overcome in 40 years what it took 400 years for this country to do what it's done to Black people, there's no way it could be a real place because that's the stuff of legends.

As far as the balance of good schools/QOL/diversity, did Fayette County fall short of your expectations also?

Old 12-26-2020, 02:49 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,753,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If Atlanta were able to overcome in 40 years what it took 400 years for this country to do what it's done to Black people, there's no way it could be a real place because that's the stuff of legends.

As far as the balance of good schools/QOL/diversity, did Fayette County fall short of your expectations also?
Income inequality in particular is a conversation that goes beyond diversity though. Fayette is a relatively wealthy county regardless of race. Atlanta’s problem is that most of its black population is living in poverty. Having black wealth nearby doesn’t fix black poverty.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:00 PM

37,898 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Income inequality in particular is a conversation that goes beyond diversity though. Fayette is a relatively wealthy county regardless of race. Atlanta’s problem is that most of its black population is living in poverty. Having black wealth nearby doesn’t fix black poverty.
I'm not disputing the nature of the problem, but there's simply no good reason to assume that Atlanta's Black population hasn't been subject to larger forces, grounded in both national policy which go back several decades and racial attitudes that are old as the nation itself, in the areas of housing, jobs, transportation, home ownership, education, etc. It needs to be understood that the Civil Rights movement was essentially led by and geared towards Black middle class, which means that the gains that arose from the movement--such as the implementation of non-discrimination policies and minority quotas in local/state/federal government contracting--primarily benefited middle class Blacks which had at least some means and opportunity to take advantage of those gains starting in the late 60s/early 70s. The impetus to uplift folks mired in poverty on a massive scale died with MLK, which he had only began pushing in the last few years of his life, and the way the economy has been restructured globally in the years since his death have only made that cause a lot more difficult. Now that the pain is being felt on a much larger scale, beyond Black America, do we see the cause being revived when it comes to the growing disparities and inequities in income, employment, home ownership, etc. between the small group of the most well-to-do Americans and everyone else.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:35 PM

4,393 posts, read 4,635,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

I totally agree. The problems Atlanta face is not an Atlanta problem but an American one. Some cities just do a better job than others but those problems are still there and I don't see them going away in our lifetime unfortunately.

Also, I didn't look into Fayette County because my job would be in Duluth. And I probably should have included that we were looking for options that had a good enough proximity to the city. When we first moved to Atlanta we were spoiled. Lived in Chamblee and that was the ideal location. But we didn't have a kid then so school was the last thing on our minds. If I want that combination it's gonna be a little further out. Like I said before not bad when you see no reason to look outside of Atlanta and have family and friends here. But we just decided to hold off if were going to still commit to the suburban living. If the city had better QOL/ better diverse public schools with significant amount of black students oh we'd be back in Atlanta in a heartbeat. But unfortunately a lot of middle class Black families are kind of "force" to look outside the city limits unless you can afford a private school or get lucky to get in one of those highly rated charter schools.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:42 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,281,375 times
Quote:
There is a direct correlation between poverty and crime. Atlanta (and the nation as a whole) hasn’t done enough to address poverty. I think targeted public housing and transit expansion would go a long way toward fixing the divide and providing people with opportunities to build wealth. Our sprawl is part of the reason a ton of Atlantans are poor. It’s hard to reach jobs without a car and inexpensive housing. A ton of the land close to urban centers simply isn’t available to the general public as an investment to build wealth. We need a ton more townhomes on smaller lots and less bungalows on large lots. We also need to quickly expand transit access. Hopefully our new administration passes a good infrastructure bill to do just that across the nation.
I disagree with both you and mutiny on this. I’ve never seen so many hoods have as many black-owned business, or middle/upper class blacks in close proximity the “hood”. Atlanta is unique case.

I’m not about to derail this thread, but to pretend poor black Atlantans have very difficult time finding work is crazy to me. And I would argue poverty is a result of crime.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:10 PM

12,857 posts, read 9,604,439 times
You would have to really hate Seattle here to not vote for it. Minneapolis should've done better I think.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:30 PM

1,321 posts, read 872,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You would have to really hate Seattle here to not vote for it. Minneapolis should've done better I think.
Yeah, as someone who has never been to Minneapolis, I'm curious why it is losing so badly to Seattle here? They both have similarly sized metros and similar city proper densities (with Seattle just slightly edging out in both categories). Does Minneapolis feel more spread out because it lacks the geographic constraints that Seattle has?

Old 12-28-2020, 05:07 PM

8,881 posts, read 6,901,301 times
Because Seattle's downtown and other core districts are on another level. If you expand to the city limits it's a closer comparison but people notice the cores more.

I agree that MSP is a good second here, roughly on Atlanta's level.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:24 PM

12,857 posts, read 9,604,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Yeah, as someone who has never been to Minneapolis, I'm curious why it is losing so badly to Seattle here? They both have similarly sized metros and similar city proper densities (with Seattle just slightly edging out in both categories). Does Minneapolis feel more spread out because it lacks the geographic constraints that Seattle has?
I've never been either but have heard it's pretty dense. I don't think it's on Seattle's level though, but it shouldn't be tied for last here either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City