Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Largest in town feel?
Atlanta 24 25.53%
Detroit 3 3.19%
Minneapolis 3 3.19%
Austin 5 5.32%
Seattle 59 62.77%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 10:34 AM

37,923 posts, read 42,168,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by probseattle View Post
Um Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain?

Amazon, Microsoft, Costco, Nordstrom, REI?

Seriously, ATL Housewives?
Yes, seriously. It might not be your thing but to have a 12-season run as the highest-rated installment of The Real Housewives franchise and the most-watched series airing on Bravo, obviously someone is watching. But the real cult phenomenon for Atlanta would obviously be The Walking Dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 01:05 PM

11,899 posts, read 8,143,383 times
I'm mid 30's and also AA but I personally have 0 taste for hip hop. I understand if I'm a minority in that arena but the party scene in ATL just wasnt for me. But for that matter partying in general is just not my taste.

Both Seattle and Atlanta are heavy hitters in a economic sense and are within the same ballpark in that arena. Atlanta is a bit more diversified in terms of industry where as Seattle is a bit more white collar (although they too have the harbors and logistics, people seem to forget that Seattle was founded as a lumber city and carried the title as the emerald city before it was carried over to Atlanta.)

Seattle is home to:
Costco
Microsoft
Amazon
Expedia
Paccar (builds and designs light / heavy duty trucks for Peterbilt, Kenworth, ect)
Starbucks (duh)
Nordstrom
Expeditors International of Washington (Logistics)
Weyerhaeuser (Paper)
Alaskan Airlines

However I do have to note that despite Atlanta being home to nearly double the amount of Fortune 500 / 1000 companies, they both still put out similar GDP's and Atlanta has a much higher poverty rate (22% ATL vs 11% SEA) even with the much higher cost of housing in Seattle and homelessness accounted for, as well as a much lower average household income. No offense to ATL but that is literally almost 1 out of every 4 people living in poverty, so in regards to $10 Bil annually in filming production as well as all the amount of employers in the vincinity, I don't exactly find that to be impressive. That stated, Seattle for a metro being aproximately 33% smaller than Atlanta, hits pretty darn hard for what it is. The homelessness issue is definitely a problem in the Pacific region but in reality the only difference between those cities and the rest of the country are their relaxed politics towards it. If the rest of the nation didnt punt the homeless out of plainview then most of America would look pretty much like those cities as this nation as a whole is not very hospitable to people in need.

Atlanta is more logistically set to be a business hub than Seattle is. Seattle is too far from most of the country (it's about 3,000 miles away from Atlanta and the rest of the densely populated east coast) so by nature it's a far better hub for business affairs

In terms of the media industry by no contest in comparison to Seattle, Atlanta wins with the numerous studios they have there, although I personally feel it's an exaggeration to say that Hollywood is losing ground to Atlanta. If I recall correctly, California's Hollywood scene is still growing despite the competition. Atlanta hits much harder in this arena than Seattle however. The best tier in the Pacific to compete with Atlanta in that arena would be Los Angeles.

Basically in terms of media, Atlanta wins no contest, in terms of business opportunities they are both strong and fairly equal with a slight edge to Atlanta overall due to the mass diversity in their industry as well as flights being within 2 hours of most of the countries population... but in urbanity... Seattle has a much stronger urban feel as it's a much denser city.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-02-2020 at 02:34 PM..

Old 01-02-2020, 01:14 PM

8,926 posts, read 6,965,849 times
Good summary Need4Camaro.

Yes, props to Atlanta's TV/movie industry. (Seattle is the setting for more than its share, but has fairly little production.)

Agreed that we're pretty white-collar in the middle. But in a city with TWO tech HQs of 50,000 people each, our largest CSA employers remain the military (80,000) and Boeing (60,000).

Old 01-02-2020, 04:04 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,732,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm mid 30's and also AA but I personally have 0 taste for hip hop. I understand if I'm a minority in that arena but the party scene in ATL just wasnt for me. But for that matter partying in general is just not my taste.

Both Seattle and Atlanta are heavy hitters in a economic sense and are within the same ballpark in that arena. Atlanta is a bit more diversified in terms of industry where as Seattle is a bit more white collar (although they too have the harbors and logistics, people seem to forget that Seattle was founded as a lumber city and carried the title as the emerald city before it was carried over to Atlanta.)

Seattle is home to:
Costco
Microsoft
Amazon
Expedia
Paccar (builds and designs light / heavy duty trucks for Peterbilt, Kenworth, ect)
Starbucks (duh)
Nordstrom
Weyerhaeuser (Paper)
Alaskan Airlines
You forgot about Boeing, the single biggest employer in the Seattle Region and the Pacific Northwest overall. They technically moved their headquarters to Chicago but their largest workforce in the world by far remains in Seattle. They have over 80,000 employees in the Seattle region at multiple huge manufacturing plants. It's a mix of blue-collar and white-collar jobs.

Old 01-02-2020, 04:05 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,732,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Yeah, my point in pointing out visitation, whether or not genuine tourism, was to note that amount of people that are here at any given time. The debate on tourism shouldn’t detract from that (I think you noted as much earlier).

However, like it or not, southern rap/pop is probably the biggest and most “ in your face†brand of music there is, this in itself inspires lots of tourism. People want to see TI’s trap museum or go to Cascade (in the movie ATL) based off what they see and here. People want to go to Old Lady Gang when they see it on ATL Housewives. The Migos are pop icons at this point and mention Atlanta in every song, this kindve esoteric “where I’m from†theme is so intrinsic to rap. Put another way, Atlanta “things†are just more well-known than Seattle’s.... that’s not a knock, Atlanta is a top 5 pop culture branded city at the moment in my opinion. Hollywood slowly losing ground to Atlanta in productions is another thing.

It’s hard to imagine anyone in there 20-30s not wanting to visit Atlanta and see what the hype is about, unless they are very country or uninterested in what’s “hip†at the moment. And no, this is not a black or white given that rap is infused with every major brand at this point. Seattle just doesn’t have that in your face cultural yet. Period.

Now back on topic lol.
Seattle is pretty high up there in terms of US cities known for an iconic music scene. Yes, it was a while ago but tourists are still fascinated with the whole Seattle Sound/Grunge scene that took over rock music and was a cultural phenomenon in the 1990's. It's also known as the home of Jimi Hendrix and a bunch of other famous rock acts over the decades. One of Seattle's biggest tourist attractions is the Experience Music Project Museum (recently changed its name to "MoPop"), which focuses heavily on local music history.

I'm not saying most tourists come to Seattle because of its Grunge/Rock history, but if you're going to cite Atlanta's rap scene - which honestly you don't hear much about on the West Coast - as a tourist draw I think that Seattle's place in rock history and the associated attractions are just as, if not more, pertinent (e.g. historic music venues where bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam Played before they got famous, the aforementioned music museum, Jimi Hendrix' grave, statue and park, sites from the movie "Singles", etc.)

Old 01-05-2020, 10:06 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,040,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

Seattle is home to:
Costco
Microsoft
Amazon
Expedia
Starbucks (duh)
Nordstrom
Weyerhaeuser (Paper)
Alaskan Airlines

However I do have to note that despite Atlanta being home to nearly double the amount of Fortune 500 / 1000 companies, they both still put out similar GDP's and Atlanta has a much higher poverty rate (22% ATL vs 11% SEA) even with the much higher cost of housing in Seattle and homelessness accounted for, as well as a much lower average household income. No offense to ATL but that is literally almost 1 out of every 4 people living in poverty, so in regards to $10 Bil annually in filming production as well as all the amount of employers in the vincinity, I don't exactly find that to be impressive. That stated, Seattle for a metro being aproximately 33% smaller than Atlanta, hits pretty darn hard for what it is. The homelessness issue is definitely a problem in the Pacific region but in reality the only difference between those cities and the rest of the country are their relaxed politics towards it. If the rest of the nation didnt punt the homeless out of plainview then most of America would look pretty much like those cities as this nation as a whole is not very hospitable to people in need.

Atlanta is more logistically set to be a business hub than Seattle is. Seattle is too far from most of the country (it's about 3,000 miles away from Atlanta and the rest of the densely populated east coast) so by nature it's a far better hub for business affairs

In terms of the media industry by no contest in comparison to Seattle, Atlanta wins with the numerous studios they have there, although I personally feel it's an exaggeration to say that Hollywood is losing ground to Atlanta. If I recall correctly, California's Hollywood scene is still growing despite the competition. Atlanta hits much harder in this arena than Seattle however. The best tier in the Pacific to compete with Atlanta in that arena would be Los Angeles.

Basically in terms of media, Atlanta wins no contest, in terms of business opportunities they are both strong and fairly equal with a slight edge to Atlanta overall due to the mass diversity in their industry as well as flights being within 2 hours of most of the countries population... but in urbanity... Seattle has a much stronger urban feel as it's a much denser city.
Some of your comments are mixing metro and city figures.Seattle has a much larger city population.Atlanta has a much larger metro yet your numbers are mixing up the two
Its poverty rate you mentioned are for the city proper
Yes Seattle is no doubt a more prosperous city. Its more prosperous than any city out of these in this thread but that really depends on who you are talking about
One thing you did should note is Atlanta numbers when it comes to things like business and who owns them:

Seattle- Atlanta city core populatons
Seattle Atlanta

744,955 498,044

All firms, 2012 83,323 64,593
Men-owned firms, 2012 42,430 31,542
Women-owned firms, 2012 29,617 28,172
Minority-owned firms, 2012 16,547 30,104
Nonminority-owned firms, 2012 61,836 31,750
Veteran-owned firms, 2012 5,959 5,427

Seattle with a much larger population has a large imbalance of women owned firms when you consider so many of then are owned by men compared to Atlanta
The minority owned firms are especially troubling comparing the two

Old 01-05-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by probseattle View Post
Seriously, ATL Housewives?

And Seattle has Amazon, Microsoft, Costco, Nordstrom, REI, Starbucks, Redfin, Zillow, Expedia.

I love how you put two German companies on your list.
They have their North American headquarters in Atlanta. Considering the US is by far their largest market,its pretty relevant.
Peugeot is moving back in the US market and they picked Atlanta for its N.A.headquarters as well.
I think Atlantas prominent position as the leading city for business in the Southeast gives it a prominence that Seattle doesnt get as it shares its coast with California.
CA get most of the international headquarters and operations of companies wanting to be in US. Especially those in Asia although Seattle cant be doing bad in that area as well
One thing to note is that Atlanta has major employment operations from Amazon,Starbucks, and Zillow but im not so sure Atlanta's biggest companies are in Seattle. Its not a slight at Seattle but its hard to compete with CA being so near

Old 01-05-2020, 10:45 PM

Seattle is too expensive to be a center for regional HQs or secondary offices.

The exception is high-value areas where we can attract people who won't go to the main HQ...says every tech in San Francisco, as they all seem to have big engineering offices here.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle is too expensive to be a center for regional HQs or secondary offices.

The exception is high-value areas where we can attract people who won't go to the main HQ...says every tech in San Francisco, as they all seem to have big engineering offices here.
I get that but thats a major handicap as evidence by Amazon needing a second global headquarters.
BTW it is impressive and scary that Seattle has 62% of its population with Bachelors or higher.
Thats in no way typical of most cities and Im not sure cities like Seattle and San Francisco can continue a trajectory that only makes it more expensive and exclusive
Seattle as far as I know isnt a top relocation destination for probably for this reason

Old 01-05-2020, 11:15 PM

Amazon's point was to attract people who wouldn't move to Seattle. In picking DC, cost apparently wasn't that big an issue. The RFP was extremely vague, but my question the whole time was whether they were looking for a Seattle-equivalent or a Seattle-opposite...it was closer to the former.

We aren't a corporate relocation destination for the most part. But everyone and their mother wants to put hundreds or thousands of high paying jobs here, particularly jobs that want to attract 20-somethings from a global (or at least NA + Asian) market for six-figure positions. Those people can afford the city, and an engineering office here will recruit well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City